The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Expelled from University of Leeds on medical grounds

Hi all,

I had joined the University of Leeds for a masters programme. But due to neglecting my health immensely I developed certain vitamin D deficiencies at an alarming rate. I had submitted all the medical certificates with the University. The University on their part gave me several chances to submit my papers with extensions. However due to my bad health I wasn't able to. The health was not the only factor. Due to this first time failure in life I was highly depressed became fearful of failure in case of a submission. All this mingled deteriorated my health further. I was finally expelled as the University could not give me more time to complete my course. I would like to get that degree again for sake of my honour. Please tell me that there is a tiny light at the end of this dark tunnel. I am health wise good now and would like to feverishly pursue the degree. Thank you.
Original post by shalinidubey86
Hi all,

I had joined the University of Leeds for a masters programme. But due to neglecting my health immensely I developed certain vitamin D deficiencies at an alarming rate. I had submitted all the medical certificates with the University. The University on their part gave me several chances to submit my papers with extensions. However due to my bad health I wasn't able to. The health was not the only factor. Due to this first time failure in life I was highly depressed became fearful of failure in case of a submission. All this mingled deteriorated my health further. I was finally expelled as the University could not give me more time to complete my course. I would like to get that degree again for sake of my honour. Please tell me that there is a tiny light at the end of this dark tunnel. I am health wise good now and would like to feverishly pursue the degree. Thank you.

You have a problem with funding. you can try and make a compelling personal reasons claim to SFE, but it sounds for various reasons you drove yourself into the round. You will need supporting medical evidence and hope they accept your claim.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Your only option is to talk to the University about the possibility of readmission - or to talk to other universities offering the same course.

Even with a legitimate medical condition, there is only so much discretion a university can offer. Had you asked to take a year out on medical grounds and rejoin the course, that might have been approved. However, failure to submit sufficient work to pass the course despite the concessions they had made - which you admit was not wholly for health reasons - left them no option but to fail you out of the course.

If your studies were funded, then you would also need to talk to the funding body, as 999tigger says.
I'm in a somewhat similar situation, how did it go for you?

Quick Reply

Latest