The Student Room Group

Do you believe that most non-rich people are just not good enough?

I mean having a lot of money doesn't come for free does it? you have to be intelligent, clever, hard working etc basically a successful person

So do you believe being non-rich, means you're just not good enough, either you are just lazy, or just lack intelligence

alot of people have good business ideas, but they dont bother to develop or implement them (they just cant be asked)

I know that not everyone is born to be rich, we cant all be rich, life wouldn't work, but it means you have to except that you simply not good enough to be rich, am sorry to say that mate, but you just have to get on with your life

btw, when I say rich I dont mean only businessmen, could be sportsmen, or musicians, or film stars, you may think some of them are dumb, but they are rich for a reason

Scroll to see replies

I think that anyone who isn't me isn't good enough. Although I'm not sure what they're not good enough for, which you also seem to be vague on. Poor effort.
Don't forget good looking, and good luck. Cassie and Cheryl Cole aren't the best of singers, but many men get hard ons just by looking at them so, being sexy seems to equal record deal in some cases.
Media student
I mean having a lot of money doesn't come for free does it? you have to be intelligent, clever, hard working etc basically a successful person

So do you believe being non-rich, means you're just not good enough, either you are just lazy, or just lack intelligence

alot of people have good business ideas, but they dont bother to develop or implement them (they just cant be asked)

I know that not everyone is born to be rich, we cant all be rich, life wouldn't work, but it means you have to except that you simply not good enough to be rich, am sorry to say that mate, but you just have to get on with your life

btw, when I say rich I dont mean only businessmen, could be sportsmen, or musicians, or film stars, you may think some of them are dumb, but they are rich for a reason

You really don't.
As I see it, there are a few possible explanations for why someone is not successful.

1) Lack of talent (talent includes intelligence, appearance, and other intrinsic values)
2) Taste (they aren't interested in material wealth)
3) Environmental (unable to become successful due to lack of opportunity. More common in LDCs than MDCs.
4) Luck (only relevant at the extremes)

I suspect that the first criteria explains most people who aren't successful, but I'm not enough of a social Darwinist to argue that it encompasses all situations.
Reply 5
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Don't forget good looking, and good luck. Cassie and Cheryl Cole aren't the best of singers, but many men get hard ons just by looking at them so, being sexy seems to equal record deal in some cases.

I know alot of good looking people who arent, but if someone is a good looking, then thats a quality which he has and you dont, so you have to accept it
Reply 6
I think luck plays quite a big part. Some people just seem to fail, no matter what they try. Saying "not good enough" is a bit too snobby though I think. Just coz someone aint rich don't mean they aint "good". Whatever that means....
No, what a stupid thing to suggest.
Reply 8
Jade Goodie wasn't intelligent, sexy or talented in any obvious way. She was rich. I know people who are far more talented or funny or intelligent than her who have much more ability to be rich or famous. They just don't want to. To suggest people who aren't rich aren't "good enough" itself shows a severe lack of intelligence in my opinion. And I don't think im alone in thinking that.
Reply 9
wilson_smith
You really don't.

and thats an excuse for you is it?
hmmmm... Jordan is so inspirational, she's definitely good enough to be richer than me... if only I was like her.
Wardy23
Jade Goodie wasn't intelligent, sexy or talented in any obvious way. She was rich. I know people who are far more talented or funny or intelligent than her who have much more ability to be rich or famous. They just don't want to. To suggest people who aren't rich aren't "good enough" itself shows a severe lack of intelligence in my opinion. And I don't think im alone in thinking that.

lool, what a lame thing to say, everyone wants to be rich, stop fooling yourself
Afrotortina
hmmmm... Jordan is so inspirational, she's definitely good enough to be richer than me... if only I was like her.

thank you for being honest:smile:
Lots of jobs, such as in academia, require you to be very intelligent and committed but don't earn very much.
Wardy23

I know this is going to be quite contested, but Jade Goody definatly wasn't as thick as she looked. She's the only Big Brother contestant that any of us remember (I can't think of any other that have been mildly sucessful except maybe Brian Dowling for a brief period). So although she wasn't book-smart, she was smart enough to get herself in the public eye and keep herself there to earn money (ok, the race thing was stupid)

Jedward aren't good singers/dancers or particularly good looking, but they're all still making money because they know how to exploit the public. I know everyone's going to say its all their publicist or whatever, but celebrities aren't as stupid as they seem. Jordan for example, is smart enough to exploit the popularity of Alex Reid at the moment, pushing her TV program and writing ANOTHER biography!
Reply 15
Media student
lool, what a lame thing to say, everyone wants to be rich, stop fooling yourself

I don't want to be rich. As long as I earn enough to be comfortable any extra money I earn will go to other people, charity, science etc. I'm just not as greedy as some people.

I'm gonna guess you're from a snotty upper middle class background where everything revolves around money?
Media student
thank you for being honest:smile:

That's why I cant be rich though, these damn celebs lie all the time about affairs etc, and I can't get away with it. Maybe if I was richer, my life would be different.
Wahaaaay
I think luck plays quite a big part. Some people just seem to fail, no matter what they try. Saying "not good enough" is a bit too snobby though I think. Just coz someone aint rich don't mean they aint "good". Whatever that means....

Some people do get quite lucky or unlucky, accidentally landing legal problems or just managing to be at exactly the right place at exactly the right time to make a lot of money. I think this is only relevant in extreme cases, however, because, for the most part, only extremely lucky or unlucky events will have a lasting effect on someone's life. When people "just seem to fail," I am inclined to believe that they lack talent at whatever they are attempting to succeed at. Someone failing everything he does because of sheer bad luck bucks the laws of probability.

And it's not at all snobby to acknowledge that there are intrinsic differences in people. Some are better looking, some are smarter. Some are amazing singers, while some are artistic geniuses. Those who lack these abilities, particularly if they have an extreme lack, are very much "not good enough".
Media student
and thats an excuse for you is it?

Excuse for what? Sorry, i just read the first line and replied in disagreement, i'm not infering anything..
Wahaaaay

It simply means, you are not good enough to be rich, whatever that means:p:

saying "luck plays a big part" is just our excuse to be lazy:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending