The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MRI scans are fine, its not like they are painful or anything and nothing bad will happen. Just lie back and relax.
i'm getting one of these on my brain soon, not looking forward. hope i get to keep my socks on.
I had one last week on my head, it was a lot better than I expected. The scanner is really noisy but they give you headphones so you can listen to music. I think if you're claustrophobic it would be a little stressful but mine only took 20 minutes. And I got to keep my socks on :wink:
I have had one on my brain. I had to lie down and was wheeled into this tunnel-like machine that was very loud and I had to lie very still for 20 mins or so... I don't remember that much so it can't have been too bad :smile:
I had one for my back.
I still have nightmares about it :s-smilie:
But that's just cause when i had it done no-one told me what it was, i didn't even realise i was going in the tunnel. And all those banging sounds terrified me, i thought it was going to blow. I wish someone told me they were normal! :P
I have to get another one soon, but i'm going to ask for meds cause i am very claustrophobic :frown:
Ah the scan is fine. It's just the dye injection if you need it...most horrific thing ever. My nurse hit a nerve instead of a vein, and now my arm still tingles and goes a bit strange a week after!
Other than that, piece of cake!
Yellow-nutshell
Ah the scan is fine. It's just the dye injection if you need it...most horrific thing ever. My nurse hit a nerve instead of a vein, and now my arm still tingles and goes a bit strange a week after!
Other than that, piece of cake!

What's wrong with the dye injection other than your nurse ballsing it up? When I had it for the CT scan it was fine, wondered if it was similar?
Magnanimity
What's wrong with the dye injection other than your nurse ballsing it up? When I had it for the CT scan it was fine, wondered if it was similar?

Ah it probably just the nurse then. I didnt know if the stinging was from the dye going in...but im pretty sure it must have been the nerve thing ha. It was incredibly painful just for some dye i thought! So yeah. just bad luck i expect!
GodspeedGehenna
friendsfanatic88

:hi:

Im going to have a brain mri on Monday and tbh am getting more and more worried as they say its 40 minutes, and havent been told ill have any contrast injections or anything but stories from friends of family say the noise is horrendous, stories from another friend who was outside the machine at the time said it was just like concert loud not unbearable loud and stories from internet say its worse and some couldnt even stay in the room on a blank scan with earplugs! So what are your experiences? I do have some disposable earplugs from one of those big races (silverstone etc. whatever it is) which reduce decibles upto 33 which is about a third of the noise of a machine.

GodspeedGehenna - if it helps the website says they have 31.5 tesla mri machines though the internet says these dont exist though im a guinea pig for a new machine so it might not even be one of these.
Just wear the headphones they give you and listen to some music

its a loud continous drone and its annoying. just close your eyes, listen to the music and chill out
Clubber Lang
Just wear the headphones they give you and listen to some music

its a loud continous drone and its annoying. just close your eyes, listen to the music and chill out

thats the plan though gotta guess they expect people to flinch at first - at least that would be the smart thing to do so you dont have to start it all over again.
At the end of the day considering how long you have to wait for an MRI and how important the results coudl be it would be stupid not to put up with the pain/annoyance for 40 minutes anyway.

the biggest annoyance at my last MRI was how cold it was. so take a jumper.

i was only in for my knee so not in all the way but i could hear the amchine droning over the headphones. so i imagine it would be louder if you are all the way in.
Clubber Lang
At the end of the day considering how long you have to wait for an MRI and how important the results coudl be it would be stupid not to put up with the pain/annoyance for 40 minutes anyway.

the biggest annoyance at my last MRI was how cold it was. so take a jumper.

i was only in for my knee so not in all the way but i could hear the amchine droning over the headphones. so i imagine it would be louder if you are all the way in.

Yeh the only reason i wont do it is if i physically cant - im going for extreme migraines that suddenly came on, constant headache and sudden onset of visual problems so if i have a migraine not just the usual bad headache then i wont actually be able to put up with the noise for that long. I was lucky it didnt take too long once i got a referral though that did take 5 years.
Jennie1987
:hi:

Im going to have a brain mri on Monday and tbh am getting more and more worried as they say its 40 minutes, and havent been told ill have any contrast injections or anything but stories from friends of family say the noise is horrendous, stories from another friend who was outside the machine at the time said it was just like concert loud not unbearable loud and stories from internet say its worse and some couldnt even stay in the room on a blank scan with earplugs! So what are your experiences? I do have some disposable earplugs from one of those big races (silverstone etc. whatever it is) which reduce decibles upto 33 which is about a third of the noise of a machine.

GodspeedGehenna - if it helps the website says they have 31.5 tesla mri machines though the internet says these dont exist though im a guinea pig for a new machine so it might not even be one of these.

31.5 tesla? **** me. Are you sure that wasn't a typo? Most clinical scanners are around 2 teslas with research scanners going up to around 4 teslas.

About the noise, it's really not that bad. For an anatomical scan it's about as noisy as standing near a washing machine. Anatomical scans have the sound of an electric shaver turning on and off, if that makes sense. I actually find myself drifting off because it's quite a comforting sound.

Functional scans, which isn't really clinical, can be noisier with lots of beeping and siren sounds.

Seriously, I wouldn't fret about it. They'll give you earplugs, but you don't really need them. It's very comfortable and you might actually just fall asleep in there.
GodspeedGehenna
31.5 tesla? **** me. Are you sure that wasn't a typo? Most clinical scanners are around 2 teslas with research scanners going up to around 4 teslas.

About the noise, it's really not that bad. For an anatomical scan it's about as noisy as standing near a washing machine. Anatomical scans have the sound of an electric shaver turning on and off, if that makes sense. I actually find myself drifting off because it's quite a comforting sound.

Functional scans, which isn't really clinical, can be noisier with lots of beeping and siren sounds.

Seriously, I wouldn't fret about it. They'll give you earplugs, but you don't really need them. It's very comfortable and you might actually just fall asleep in there.

Thanks, yeah i know about teslas and knew its ridiculous maybe they mean 3 1.5 tesla mri scanners as on this page they do have a format where this would fit better
Was anyone allowed to take music they wanted?
Jennie1987

Nah they gave me headphones with classic FM on :rofl: Tbh I found it pretty relaxing inside the machine :smile:
Jennie1987

if you took an MP3 player in there it would probably be destroyed by the machine. (i guess)
Clubber Lang
if you took an MP3 player in there it would probably be destroyed by the machine. (i guess)

Lol it would actually destroy itself and the machine as it would be flung into it, thats not what i meant at all! rofl
Jennie1987

You can take your own CD's to be played for you, yes.

Latest