The Student Room Group

Would England be better off independent?

Scroll to see replies

Scotland does have the North Sea oil
Reply 21
Stalin
Dear English person,

Funnily enough, up in Scotland, the country which would supposedly get pw3nd by England, we have all 4 Vanguard Class submarines, capable of launching nuclear weapons.

I think we win.

Yours,
Scotland

Dear Haggis Basher,

England would move her submarines back down from Scotland to England.

Yours,
Fair England
Reply 22
loki276
Scotland does have the North Sea oil

Which has almost run dry.
electrobug

still enough for their small population
Reply 24
Factually, we would be far better off independant, however, due to the amount of emotional 'lefties' in England, it would just cause too much of an uproar, and would probably end up damaging England in the long run.
orionmoo
Scotland couldn't support itself with its own economy (although that could change in a few years as they grow stronger), and wales certainly couldn't.
England isn't even a country at the moment, it doesn't even have its own parliament. Even wales has more, with its assembly.
And do whoever said we get on great with Ireland.... ever heard of the IRA et al? Sure they're not representative of the whole country but it's still an element. And Sinn Fein too...
I wouldn't trust scotland at the moment on its own anyway, especially with the current cover up of the Hollie Greig paedophiles. Scottish officials in a big paedo ring, covering their own asses. Even the BBC is in on it, censoring the story.
To be honest I don't trust any government at the moment, after everything...

But back to the topic, I don't think England would be as successful as a free-standing nation as the UK currently is, on a global scale. However, some form of devolution would be welcomed by me, whether it's an English Assembly (a la Wales and N. Ireland), or even better regional assemblies.

Scotland produces 3 times the amount of electricity needed to power every building in Scotland. Take a look at just how much of a renewable superpower Scotland is by looking at the 25% statistic in the quote below.

The production of renewable energy in Scotland is an issue that has come to the fore in technical, economic, and political terms during the opening years of the 21st century. The natural resource base for renewables is extraordinary by European, and even global standards. In addition to an existing installed capacity of 1.3 Gigawatts (GW) of hydro-electric schemes, Scotland has an estimated potential of 36.5 GW of wind and 7.5 GW of tidal power, 25% of the estimated total capacity for the European Union and up to 14 GW of wave power potential, 10% of EU capacity. The renewable electricity generating capacity may be 60 GW or more, considerably greater than the existing capacity from all Scottish fuel sources of 10.3 GW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_Scotland

See here for the rest of our income, which include:

Natural resources:
-Agriculture and forestry
-Fishing
-Oil and gas
-Energy

Manufacturing:
-Whisky
-Electronics
-Textiles
-Construction

Services:
-Banking & Insurances
-Tourism

With all that taken into consideration, the Gross Domestic Product of Scotland was measured at just over £86.3 billion(€126 billion, $170 billion) by the Office for National Statistics in 2005, giving a per capita GDP of £16,944(€24,792, $33,460).

We're more than capable of supporting ourselves and to say that we couldn't is simply ignorant when the facts are right infront of you.
electrobug

Wrong, we've found more oil just outside of Glasgow, ironically, where I grew up and where I was swimming every summer for 10 odd years.

There's also a lot more oil than estimated in the North Sea.
Chillaxer
And retaining it's more English political traditions such as liberty, more individualism, rather than the collectivist Labour ethos which has a heavy Scottish influence and support from Wales, Scotland, and parts of the North that seem themselves as closer to the former two than London? Look at the political map, it's virtually all Blue and Yellow in the south east and south west.

I don't know if it's just your wording, but to me you're suggesting people in northern England consider themselves more Scottish than English or British.
We don't.
electrobug
Dear Haggis Basher,

Yours,
Fair England

Now now, just because Scotland, a country where haggis apparently roam the streets at night, and where everyone is obese has the capabilities of wiping you off the face of the earth, doesn't mean it'll happen. I'll tell Salmond to spare you all.

Am I not merciful?
electrobug
Dear Haggis Basher,

Yours,
Fair England

They are the submarines of the UK, Scotland has as much claim as England to them if there's a split.

Plus, you wouldn't win any war anyway, we'll set aboot ye.
Celtic_Anthony
They are the submarines of the UK, Scotland has as much claim as England to them if there's a split.

Reply 31
Celtic_Anthony

Does that mean if the UK split the Welsh and the Northern Irish would get a sub too? I'm not being funny, even though we have somewhere to keep it (Milford Haven), I don't think I could live confidently if there was a Welshman in charge of the Welsh nuclear arsenal :biggrin:
Carl
Does that mean if the UK split the Welsh and the Northern Irish would get a sub too? I'm not being funny, even though we have somewhere to keep it (Milford Haven), I don't think I could live confidently if there was a Welshman in charge of the Welsh nuclear arsenal :biggrin:
Nah, what would happen is, in the case of a peaceful split, there would be a set of negotiations and we'd probably end up with a joint armed forces anyway IMO. Anyway, all these things would be sorted out that way. If there's a war, well, **** you, we're keepin' 'em all.
Carl

England would get 3 subs and Scotland would get 1.

However, as Salmond doesn't want nuclear weapons, let alone a military, he'd sell it to England. Just like Ukraine sold most of their military to Russia when the USSR collapsed.
Carl

Presumably we'd all get one each. It'll be a bitch cutting those 2 new aircraft carriers in half though (unless we agree to joint custody) :teehee:
I think the UK should break up. All four countries would be better off as sovereign states.

England would have one of the world's largest economies, so to say it wouldn't be OK as an independent country is false. We wouldn't have access to North Sea oil, but what access to oil does Germany have? Or Japan? Or Italy? All are economically powerful, and have less natural resources than other G20 countries.
Reply 36
Student2806
I don't know if it's just your wording, but to me you're suggesting people in northern England consider themselves more Scottish than English or British.
We don't.

No, I didn't mean that. I just meant there is some common feeling about southern *******, London etc, and more collectivist political ideas, they are more into community and labour, maybe you can tell me if that trend is dying but the political map still suggests the same trend last time I checked.
Stalin

Scotland produces 3 times the amount of electricity needed to power every building in Scotland. Take a look at just how much of a renewable superpower Scotland is by looking at the 25% statistic in the quote below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_Scotland

See here for the rest of our income, which include:

Natural resources:
-Agriculture and forestry
-Fishing
-Oil and gas
-Energy

Manufacturing:
-Whisky
-Electronics
-Textiles
-Construction

Services:
-Banking & Insurances
-Tourism

With all that taken into consideration, the Gross Domestic Product of Scotland was measured at just over £86.3 billion(€126 billion, $170 billion) by the Office for National Statistics in 2005, giving a per capita GDP of £16,944(€24,792, $33,460).

We're more than capable of supporting ourselves and to say that we couldn't is simply ignorant when the facts are right infront of you.

Who seriously disputes that Scotland couldn't support itself?

I don't think many English people genuinely care if Scotland became independent. Most arguments for the preservation of the UK stem from "a loss of international power" or some such. IMO, the key is wealth, prosperity, peace and stability. All four constituent countries could be so if existing as sovereign states.
Reply 38
Financially England would be better off.

I believe it was Boris Johnson who stated a few months ago that only London, the South East and the East generate NET wealth, whereas the others eat the wealth. If England were to leave Scotland (or vice versa) we would receive an extra £20bn that wouldn't be spent in Scotland.
Teaddict
Financially England would be better off.

I believe it was Boris Johnson who stated a few months ago that only London, the South East and the East generate NET wealth, whereas the others eat the wealth. If England were to leave Scotland (or vice versa) we would receive an extra £20bn that wouldn't be spent in Scotland.

Lies.

Scotland has recorded a public-spending surplus in the past 2 years (we've given more than we've received) when you consider a geographical share of North Sea Oil. Even if you didn't, the gap would be nowhere near £20bn. ( 2006/7 , 2007/8 )

London is another matter, but it doesn't earn as much money in reality as it does on paper (namely, tax paid to London counts as London income iirc).

So there. Long live King Boris. Tit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending