The Student Room Group

Evidence for independence for 3 years

Hi, could you clarify on what evidence I would be asked to provide if I have been independent for up to 3 years but not estranged? Would I only need to provide my NI number or would I be required to provide anything else? Many thanks
Hi Agneta.

What age are you and when does your course start? Will you be under the age of 25 before the start of your course? Have you been working for at least 3 years prior to the start of your course?

Thanks, Drew
Reply 2
I will be 23 and yes I’ve been working 3 years but not consecutively
Hi Agneta,

You do not need to be working for 3 years consecutively as long as the evidence you provide covers 3 years in total we can approve you as an Independent Student. If you were working we can accept 3 P60s or more if you have them and we can also accept payslips to show your employment, ideally month 12/week 52 payslips.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 4
Thank you for your reply,

My maintenance amount is usually assessed based on one of my parents’ income though they do not provide me with financial assistance. I thought to be assessed as independent I needed to have consecutive proof of 3 year independence hence I sent in my application using my parent as my sponsor again like I did for my last degree. From this new information, i do qualify as being independent since I have up to 52 weeks of payslips to prove my employment. Right now, student finance England has awarded me the minimum maintenance amount as they are still waiting for some evidence from my parent. is it possible to change my student finance application at this stage so that my maintenance will be assessed based on my income and not that of my parent?
Original post by Agneta B
Thank you for your reply,
My maintenance amount is usually assessed based on one of my parents’ income though they do not provide me with financial assistance. I thought to be assessed as independent I needed to have consecutive proof of 3 year independence hence I sent in my application using my parent as my sponsor again like I did for my last degree. From this new information, i do qualify as being independent since I have up to 52 weeks of payslips to prove my employment. Right now, student finance England has awarded me the minimum maintenance amount as they are still waiting for some evidence from my parent. is it possible to change my student finance application at this stage so that my maintenance will be assessed based on my income and not that of my parent?

Hi Agneta. Once you upload the evidence for this it will be passed to the relevant team. If accepted, you will automatically be assessed as an independent student and awarded the higher loan amount, no other changes are required. Thanks, David

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending