The Student Room Group

Magic Circle Law - Oxbridge or bust?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
JakeR92
Just to add another dimension to the debate: what about if your undergrad is from a fairly good uni (check my spoiler for examples, the big boys rejected me lol) but your postgrad is oxbridge? How would that affect your chances of a top chambers? Also, do Solicitors generally do postgrad? or is it more a barristers option due to the more academic nature of their job?

In terms of the Bar, in all honesty it will be very difficult to get to a "top chambers" coming from somewhere like Newcastle or Leeds. However, it's not completely unheard of if you start building up your work experience and are consistently at the top of your year. You may have to slightly readjust your expectations though. However, this doesn't mean it's the end of the line; you can get chambers slightly lower down the chain and build a good practice from there.

Solicitors- depends on the individual. It's very difficult to say without generalising. It won't hurt you; but as a solicitor I don't think it will massively help you either unless it's something like the BCL or (possibly) the Cambridge LLM.
The West Wing
This story is true, he is at my college right now. He is one of the people I respect the most of all the people I've ever met, and he performed the best out of all the law freshers in his mocks - all 4 of the others went to top public schools (St Pauls etc). S&S are paying his way through Cambridge but boy does he deserve it.

Surely they could have done that once he had attained a degree or even in his second year, the fact that they offered him a TC upon admissions is quite atrocious, how would they know whether he got a 1st or a 3rd at the end?
maximusbarr
Surely they could have done that once he had attained a degree or even in his second year, the fact that they offered him a TC upon admissions is quite atrocious, how would they know whether he got a 1st or a 3rd at the end?

It's conditional on him getting a 2.i, but if anyone at Clare is getting a first this year it's him.
JakeR92
Just to add another dimension to the debate: what about if your undergrad is from a fairly good uni (check my spoiler for examples, the big boys rejected me lol) but your postgrad is oxbridge? How would that affect your chances of a top chambers? Also, do Solicitors generally do postgrad? or is it more a barristers option due to the more academic nature of their job?

TBH Leeds, Leicester or Newcastle are not elite law schools, but if you do have a BCL then it obviously does help. But I think generally, law students are an aspiring bunch and very ambitious at that. I don't see why they can't just settle for a top set rather than chase something like One Essex Court or Blackstone Chambers.

LLM isn't really helpful other than the fact that it may SOMETIMES set you apart, very rarely does it. Getting a 1st is more important, generally it is stated that you should do further academic studies for your own benefit rather than securing a pupillage or a TC.
The West Wing
It's conditional on him getting a 2.i, but if anyone at Clare is getting a first this year it's him.

So AAA at A-level for him is enough to get him a TC and for the likes of us it is a 1st or a 2.1, then a vac scheme maybe, then assessments of all sorts before a TC interview.

Unfair isn't it?
maximusbarr
So AAA at A-level for him is enough to get him a TC and for the likes of us it is a 1st or a 2.1, then a vac scheme maybe, then assessments of all sorts before a TC interview.

Unfair isn't it?

He did outcompete thousands of people to get it in the first place, and it makes perfect business sense to lure him in early, given how brilliant he is.
Reply 86
The West Wing, you seem to be orgasmic about this person. Have you slept with him yet? :wink:
The West Wing
He did outcompete thousands of people to get it in the first place, and it makes perfect business sense to lure him in early, given how brilliant he is.

The West Wing is either their friend or that person himself, its absolute tosh if you were to tell me that someone getting TC at the age of 17/18 is business sense, its crap. He might have been brilliant at law, politics which he did at A-level, these subjects are deemed some of the easiest compared to chemistry and physics.

If a TC is decided on getting AAA, then what's the point of him going to Cambridge and subsequently studying law? :mad:
Rofl
The West Wing, you seem to be orgasmic about this person. Have you slept with him yet? :wink:

No, it would be against his religion, also I don't want to and I don't think he wants to either.

maximusbarr
The West Wing is either their friend or that person himself, its absolute tosh if you were to tell me that someone getting TC at the age of 17/18 is business sense, its crap. He might have been brilliant at law, politics which he did at A-level, these subjects are deemed some of the easiest compared to chemistry and physics.

If a TC is decided on getting AAA, then what's the point of him going to Cambridge and subsequently studying law? :mad:

Yes, he is a friend of mine, but I was talking to one of the other lawyers at Clare about this TSR thread earlier, and she says (and I agree), it may sound strange in theory, but if you've met the guy you would see how brilliant he is, and he is doing amazingly at first year law so far.
Reply 89
So in gaining a TC, LSE>UCL>KCL?

I've heard that KCL is better for IP than LSE, but I don't see it as a module offered in undergrad...Should I firm LSE [if I get the offer], even if IP, personal injury, and medical malpractice are the areas I want to specialize in?

I'd like to work in a MC firm, or if not, a SC firm that specializes in IP such as Bird & Bird.
LSE=UCL=KCL

Decide which is best for you.
jenna109
even if IP, personal injury, and medical malpractice are the areas I want to specialize in?

I'd like to work in a MC firm, or if not, a SC firm that specializes in IP such as Bird & Bird.

Personal injury/medical malpractice are not practice areas typically offered by MC/SC firms.

At undergrad the research strengths of a university make no difference - don't let them factor into your decision. Take the one best for you.
Reply 92
TerryTerry
He asked where your evidence was in respect to the law firms; MC or anywhere else. You haven't provided any.

To you and all of those who ask for proof I now provide it Blackstone Chambers:
Both heads of Chambers were educated at Cambridge.
Of the 31 QC’s 26 of them were at one stage educated at an Oxbridge college and 5 unknown or at another university.
The chambers have 45 juniors with 42 educated at an Oxbridge college, and 3 at another university.
That makes 87.179% of the tennants coming from Oxbridge.
But if you don’t believe me go on the link and click on one of the several tenants to view their dare I say- ‘stats’:
http://www.blackstonechambers.com/people/barristers/index.html
Reply 93
jenna109
So in gaining a TC, LSE>UCL>KCL?

I've heard that KCL is better for IP than LSE, but I don't see it as a module offered in undergrad...Should I firm LSE [if I get the offer], even if IP, personal injury, and medical malpractice are the areas I want to specialize in?

Just so you know, I'm a KCL Law undergrad and I'm doing IP this year so the uni definitely does offer it.
Reply 94
sak-y
Just so you know, I'm a KCL Law undergrad and I'm doing IP this year so the uni definitely does offer it.

Haha IP wasn't in the list of modules in their prospectus. Thanks a lot for telling me. :p:
Reply 95
jenna109
Haha IP wasn't in the list of modules in their prospectus. Thanks a lot for telling me. :p:

That might be down to the fact that we don't actually call it IP.

It's split up into Copyrights, Trademarks and Breach of Confidence - and you choose two out of those three to make up a whole IP module. :smile:
Reply 96
Slick-Jay
To you and all of those who ask for proof I now provide it Blackstone Chambers:
Both heads of Chambers were educated at Cambridge.
Of the 31 QC’s 26 of them were at one stage educated at an Oxbridge college and 5 unknown or at another university.
The chambers have 45 juniors with 42 educated at an Oxbridge college, and 3 at another university.
That makes 87.179% of the tennants coming from Oxbridge.
But if you don’t believe me go on the link and click on one of the several tenants to view their – dare I say- ‘stats’:
http://www.blackstonechambers.com/people/barristers/index.html

With respect mate, are you special?

You've been asked three times for evidence from law firms, not chambers. In fact, we have explicitly said 'not chambers'.

Still, if you did that research yourself, though not requested: hats off to you! Nice work!
Reply 97
I haven't done proper mental arithmetic for years but surely it's just under 90%, not 87. Sorry: pedantic.
Reply 98
TerryTerry

You've been asked three times for evidence from law firms, not chambers. In fact, we have explicitly said 'not chambers'.

Still, if you did that research yourself, though not requested: hats off to you! Nice work!

With respect mate, the preferred term is :cool: 'unique' :cool: and yes i'm just finishing off the law firm stats now so I they'll be up very soon that was just there for the meantime.
Reply 99
TerryTerry

P.S any law firm you want me to specifically research in your dedication or any on else for that matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending