The Student Room Group

Is Oxbridge BA Law a qualifying law degree

Really important Q. As OXBRDIGE do BA law opposed to LLB, is it still a qualifying law degree? I am considering applying to Oxbridge if the degree is qualifying, i do not want to do a PDGL to convert. I just want to do the degree for 3 years and immediately move on to SQE. So, is OXBRIDGE law just as qualifying as the LLB, only 3 years and immediately move on to SQE, OR would you have to do PDGL after OXBRIDGE law? Any answers appreciated.
Yes, provided you take the appropriate papers.

Note that a qualifying law degree is just required to become a barrister now. You can become a solicitor with any degree, without even doing a conversion course. You just take the SQE still.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
yes, provided you take the appropriate papers.

Note that a qualifying law degree is just required to become a barrister now. You can become a solicitor with any degree, without even doing a conversion course. You just take the sqe still.

thank you very much!
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, provided you take the appropriate papers.

Note that a qualifying law degree is just required to become a barrister now. You can become a solicitor with any degree, without even doing a conversion course. You just take the SQE still.

I have heard those doing anything other than LLB Law and hoping to go to a magic circle have been asked to do PDGL or just have extra things to do versus traditional route, but i assume the exemption for this ksOxbridge BA Law, because it’s Oxbridge… am i right?
Reply 4
Jurisprudence, dahling.

Original post by lig2
Really important Q. As OXBRDIGE do BA law opposed to LLB, is it still a qualifying law degree? I am considering applying to Oxbridge if the degree is qualifying, i do not want to do a PDGL to convert. I just want to do the degree for 3 years and immediately move on to SQE. So, is OXBRIDGE law just as qualifying as the LLB, only 3 years and immediately move on to SQE, OR would you have to do PDGL after OXBRIDGE law? Any answers appreciated.
Original post by lig2
I have heard those doing anything other than LLB Law and hoping to go to a magic circle have been asked to do PDGL or just have extra things to do versus traditional route, but i assume the exemption for this ksOxbridge BA Law, because it’s Oxbridge… am i right?

An Oxbridge BA Law is the same as an LLB in Law elsewhere. The only reason it's called a BA is because all undergraduate degrees are BAs there. The same reason you can't get a BSc in Physics from Oxford...it's a BA (or MPhys if you do the fourth year). Etc, etc.

Also for what must be the billionth time, employers don't care whether your degree says LLB or BA or BSc or whatever else. They barely care what subject it's in for most roles. As noted for law you can become a solicitor with any degree, and you can become a barrister with any degree + GDL.

Given that when last polled by the SRA 50% of solicitors responding had done a non-law degree for their initial degree, and the generally somewhat poor outlook for employability within the legal sector for those with law degrees, it seems absurd to assume somehow some firms prefer a law degree over anything else.

Just get a degree. I assure you that is more than enough to get you where you are going or at least to start you off on the route there. There is no inane prestige rankings of degrees and unis and subjects in the eyes of anyone but school leavers and newspapers seeking to sell copies to them with their league tables.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending