The Student Room Group

Help Picking 6th Year Subjects when I'm unsure of Uni Courses

I was wondering if any of you guys could help.

We've got out 6th year columns out and they're due in on Monday and I still don't know what to pick. It's really not helped by the fact I have no idea what I want to do at Uni. It's currently narrowed down to Maths, Law, Accountancy, Economics, Chemistry, Engineering in some form, English or Journalism.

This year I'm doing Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics and Geography (All higher). I'm predicted 5 As and should be able to get them if everything goes to plan.

But I dunno what to do next year. I pick out of four columns so could do stuff out of these.

A - AH Maths, H Art, Int 1 Travel and tourism
B - AH English, AH Geo, H Admin
C - H History, H Mod Stud, Int 1 Woodwork
D - AH Chemistry, H French, Int 1 Bio
E - H Accounting, H Graphics, H RMPS, Int 2 Economics

Any suggestions?
Hmm all I can say is if you can get 5As at higher don't do int2 or int1. Int 1 is easier than SG. And I didn't even do SG I did int2 instead of it and I think you'd just get bored. So probably column B if it was me. This is why I'm glad my school doesn't have columns :smile:
I'd hate to be forced into doing a subject so it suited the school :smile: xxxx
Smile (:

We've got out 6th year columns out and they're due in on Monday and I still don't know what to pick. It's really not helped by the fact I have no idea what I want to do at Uni. It's currently narrowed down to Maths, Law, Accountancy, Economics, Chemistry, Engineering in some form, English or Journalism.

This year I'm doing Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics and Geography (All higher). I'm predicted 5 As and should be able to get them if everything goes to plan.

But I dunno what to do next year. I pick out of four columns so could do stuff out of these.

Any suggestions?

Hey,
are these the columns, or the options available to you? e.g. can you pick one from A, one from B etc.. or can you pick option A (AH maths with H art with int1 T&T ? :p:

If these are the columns, then I'd try and do a variety due to the courses you'd like to do?
Do you want to do a "Fast Track" degree (where you go directly into second year) or are you not bothered?
If you're not bothered then your 5 As will be enough for any course you choose.
If you're happy going into first year, then why don't you do a variety of subjects, e.g. AH Maths, AH Eng, H History, H Accounting
FuturePilot
Hey,
are these the columns, or the options available to you? e.g. can you pick one from A, one from B etc.. or can you pick option A (AH maths with H art with int1 T&T ? :p:

Im sure they are the options available to him/her :smile:
Smile (:

Any suggestions?

First of all that isn't very narrow and secondly predicted grades are a load of tripe. English ay AH is the world's most boring course, whatever you do don't take that.
Reply 5
Sorry if I wasn't clear I pick one subject from four out of the five columns,

TooSexyForMyStethoscope
First of all that isn't very narrow and secondly predicted grades are a load of tripe. English ay AH is the world's most boring course, whatever you do don't take that.

I'm aware it's not narrow, hence the 'no idea what I want to do at uni'. And why not? I got that in my prelims too.
Smile (:
Sorry if I wasn't clear I pick one subject from four out of the five columns,

I'm aware it's not narrow, hence the 'no idea what I want to do at uni'. And why not? I got that in my prelims too.

Yes, prelims. Are they the final exam? Don't quote me meaningless letters, all you need is a c to sit advanced higher so your grades this year aren't really a factor when deciding on AH's.
Reply 7
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Yes, prelims. Are they the final exam? Don't quote me meaningless letters, all you need is a c to sit advanced higher so your grades this year aren't really a factor when deciding on AH's.

But surely they're the best judge of my abilities? It was merely to show that I'm quite academic so I could receive appropriate advice.
Reply 8
Your school only does 3 AHs?
Reply 9
lcmd
Your school only does 3 AHs?

Four there, but I discounted to ones I couldn't due to to never having done the subject. :smile:
I'd suggest AH Maths + English given how little you've narrowed down, to keep your options open.

Then maybe AH Chem and crash Higher History?
I've heard a couple of people tell me AH English was their favourite 6th year subject :curious:

It's interesting to find out that predicted grades, essentially one of the pillars of British university admission, are a 'load of tripe.'

Perhaps we should disgard them and have some kind of tombola system instead.

In fact, perhaps we should disregard exam results altogether. Evidently if prelims are useless in predicting your final grade, then your school results are probably useless in predicting your suitability for university. Yep, probably best we just forget all testing.
Blu3j4yw4y
I've heard a couple of people tell me AH English was their favourite 6th year subject :curious:

It's interesting to find out that predicted grades, essentially one of the pillars of British university admission, are a 'load of tripe.'

Perhaps we should disgard them and have some kind of tombola system instead.

In fact, perhaps we should disregard exam results altogether. Evidently if prelims are useless in predicting your final grade, then your school results are probably useless in predicting your suitability for university. Yep, probably best we just forget all testing.

Predicted grades aren't a load of ******** no, but I feel the need to clear up something.

Generally, the purpose of predicted grades (the post prelim ones) in Scotland is for appeals. In the rest of the uk your predicted grades are heavily considered when you apply to uni, as you don't have the standard qualifications you need to get in. As a result predicted grades everywhere else tend to be somewhat inflated on average. By contrast, predicted grades for appeals general err on the side of caution.

But yes, a prediction of 5 A's is hardly "meaningless" by any means :p:
Reply 13
A big factor in "narrowing it down" is distinguishing between sciences and arts/humanities. This is how it's split up in college/uni. Do you find yourself more interested in sciences, solving problems, number crunching, experiments etc or are you more into essay writing, analysing texts, being critical, putting forward arguments etc?

Be cautious, don't make your decision based on SQA highers :wink:
There are still plenty of degrees that mix the arts and the sciences :p:
You can narrow that columns down quite a bit. Is it worth doing any more int1/2's - probably not since you already have SG's and predicted excellent higher grades plus they aren't really going to prepare you for university work. Art and Graphics - rather time consuming subjects and are you good at or even enjoy drawing? French - have you done SG as I've heard it's rather difficult to crash and even with a year out, it's surprising how much people can forget. Higher accounting or RMPS - since accounting is a possibility that might be a worth while option and could even narrow your uni list down as it will give you a brief idea of what to expect. Same with AH English with the Law, English or Journalism uni option.

For example, I would be heading for:

Spoiler

That's just my opinion but make sure you enjoy the subject or at least have some interest as you're more likely to do well. :smile:
Reply 16
Meteorshower
There are still plenty of degrees that mix the arts and the sciences :p:

:shh:
Reply 17
I'd take Higher Modern Studies, it's an awesome subject.

It's a shame AH Physics isn't on the list :frown:
Reply 18
JacksterD
I'd take Higher Modern Studies, it's an awesome subject.

It's a shame AH Physics isn't on the list :frown:

Technically I could do it but I only got a B in the prelim (Almost an A though) and hate Physics. I kinda thought it would be a bad decision so didn't include it.

Latest

Trending

Trending