The Student Room Group

Career in Accounting?

Hey there,
So I'm currently an A Level Student studying French, Geography and Economics (if that's even relevant) and I've been considering taking a degree in accounting and finance after I finish 6th form. My predicted grades are AAA and I've been researching a few different universities. I'd just like some extra advice to be honest. Since I've heard the route of A levels, Degree to ACA is one of my best options. Should I take accounting? What is there to expect and what Universities do you recommend me with my grades, probably my most important question since I'm unsure? It's always been an idea of mine to study accounting but it would be really useful if any people have studied or are studying Accounting could give me some advice. Especially on if going from AAA in A Levels to a Degree to ACA would set me up for the "big 4". Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Hi! Fellow student here but I hope I can be of help. Although accounting is not hard maths I think some top universities will require maths A level. However I was thinking of applying to Leeds for Accounting and Finance as there are many Chartered exams exemptions. I'd recommend looking at different Russell group universities that offer the course without Maths A level as a requirement as your grades will for sure meet the entry requirements and its also good to take into account some degrees offer those Chartered exemptions. Also it would look good if you want to go into a job at one of the big 4 firms to have a degree from a top uni. Hope this helped slightly!
Reply 2
Are you interested in finding a course which incorporates French or allows a year abroad?
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
Are you interested in finding a course which incorporates French or allows a year abroad?

Probably just Accounting(/Finance) but could be an option. Most likely, no.
Reply 4
Original post by Merliin
Hey there,
So I'm currently an A Level Student studying French, Geography and Economics (if that's even relevant) and I've been considering taking a degree in accounting and finance after I finish 6th form. My predicted grades are AAA and I've been researching a few different universities. I'd just like some extra advice to be honest. Since I've heard the route of A levels, Degree to ACA is one of my best options. Should I take accounting? Since I've heard the route of A levels, Degree to ACA is one of my best options. Should I take accounting?It's always been an idea of mine to study accounting but it would be really useful if any people have studied or are studying Accounting could give me some advice. Especially on if going from AAA in A Levels to a Degree to ACA would set me up for the "big 4". Thanks! :smile:

Since I've heard the route of A levels, Degree to ACA is one of my best options. Should I take accounting?

Well, I qualified ACA in a big 4 firm, didn't do an accounting degree but know plenty of people that did.

If you want to pursue accounting there are loads of options, the main ones being:

- complete A levels and apply for apprenticeships in your second year of A levels. Lots to look it both in accounting firms and some in industry.

- take an accounting degree then apply for work. There are degree courses linked with large firms where you do paid work for a few months each year - these are well worth looking at.

- take a non accounting degree and apply for graduate positions. Most accounting firms are not very bothered what you study at university and give full training.

What is there to expect and what Universities do you recommend me with my grades, probably my most important question since I'm unsure?

Most A+F degrees look very similar. Perhaps check the websites for all of the Russell Group plus Lancaster, Loughborough, St Andrew and Bath and see which have courses where you meet the subject and grade requirements (some require maths A level, some have a few different courses so worth checking the differences). Look at the courses and see if any stand out/ have some feature which makes them more interesting to you.

Especially on if going from AAA in A Levels to a Degree to ACA would set me up for the "big 4".

Well - you would be a decent applicant for big 4 grad schemes but should note these are competitive. Its certainly not a guaranteed route.
Reply 5
Original post by dah22
Hi! Fellow student here but I hope I can be of help. Although accounting is not hard maths I think some top universities will require maths A level. However I was thinking of applying to Leeds for Accounting and Finance as there are many Chartered exams exemptions. I'd recommend looking at different Russell group universities that offer the course without Maths A level as a requirement as your grades will for sure meet the entry requirements and its also good to take into account some degrees offer those Chartered exemptions. Also it would look good if you want to go into a job at one of the big 4 firms to have a degree from a top uni. Hope this helped slightly!

I’m doing the same subjects instead of econ I’m doing business
Did u end up taking a+f is so what uni did you end up going to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending