The Student Room Group

Which A level should I drop???

I'm currently in yr 12 and I'm studying History, Maths, Philosophy and Politics and I was thinking of studying PPE at uni. The sixth form team in my school has told me that I need to drop one of my A levels and they'll give me until the end of January to pick which one I'm doing. However, I really do not want to drop any of my A levels as I love all my subjects and all of them are relevant to what I want to study. I can't drop maths or history as unis sort of prefer people who had studied them so that means I either have to drop philosophy or politics. They are my two favourite subjects and I love both of them, although if I had to drop one, I'd go with politics. I haven't done any proper assessments yet so I there's no grades to base which one I should drop.
Reply 1
Original post by Iced_Tea
I'm currently in yr 12 and I'm studying History, Maths, Philosophy and Politics and I was thinking of studying PPE at uni. The sixth form team in my school has told me that I need to drop one of my A levels and they'll give me until the end of January to pick which one I'm doing. However, I really do not want to drop any of my A levels as I love all my subjects and all of them are relevant to what I want to study. I can't drop maths or history as unis sort of prefer people who had studied them so that means I either have to drop philosophy or politics. They are my two favourite subjects and I love both of them, although if I had to drop one, I'd go with politics. I haven't done any proper assessments yet so I there's no grades to base which one I should drop.

I'm surprised your 6th form is forcing u to drop a subject. My 6th form allowed students to move onto 2nd yr with 4 A-Levels if they knew they were doing well. What grades are u currently getting? If you're getting As and A*s try to convince them to stay studying the 4 A-Levels.

However, if your 6th form is really persistent, I'd say drop History. History is great and all, but Maths is heavily tied into Economics, and obviously, Politics and Philosophy will be part of your degree so keep on studying that.

But I would really advise u on talking with ur 6th form first abt my 1st proposition.
Original post by Iced_Tea
I can't drop maths or history as unis sort of prefer people who had studied them

That's not true. If the unis you apply to don't require (or prefer) maths or history for your course, then you don't need to study them. Check the entry requirements for your course on uni websites before you make a decision.
Can you get any indication of predicted grades by speaking to your teachers? That might help shape your thoughts

Quick Reply

Latest