The Student Room Group

Loughborough or Sussex (computer science) which course

Hi,
I've received offers from both Loughborough and Sussex for the computer science (with foundation year) course, however I'm not really sure what university to choose. Both have the same conditional offers.

Sussex has a course which I would really like to do (multimedia and digital systems), which covers digital systems, software development as well as some media content such as 3d graphs, animation, live TV production etc. However is this course worth doing over a pure computer science course?

I'm not really sure what I want to work as after university. I'm aware that if I want to go into the media industry the pay is not as good as say a software developer.

Thanks
Reply 1
I think you should go for loughborough. The other course sounds like media studies.
Reply 2
Loughborough. No question really, has a very good CompSci dept, brilliant position in rankings and top job prospects with the added benefit of a placement year!
Reply 3
I'm going to have to go against the grain here, and say that as a graduate of the Sussex degree, I would still have preferred to go to Sussex to study Computer Science.

Computer Science at Sussex is a solid course, and employment prospects are good. London is just up the road, 50 minutes on the train, which is where most 'proper engineering' CS jobs are, and there are plenty of media-related jobs in Brighton also, if that interests you. Brighton is also a very lively and fun place to be a student. If you do well at CS, then Sussex has a masters course in multimedia and virtual environments which is a good, difficult, course, and will set you up well for careers in simulation and graphics modelling, graphics software, animation, and so on.

The multimedia and digital systems undergrad course is not something I did, but I can say with the BCS (british computer society) accredited straight Computer Science, your prospects are good. The only caveat I can think of, is that I do remember someone saying that the foundation year course was not good, in terms of teaching. I didn't do it. You might want to look into it, as if you don't pass the foundation year then you will be a bit stuck.

It's up to you, but do check them both out first.

Latest

Trending

Trending