The Student Room Group

Columns suck.

Yeah so I got my choices form out for Higher today. It sucks, I can only do like 3 of the Highers I want. Chemistry and Graphics are in the same column and I want to do both. I also am pretty much being forced to do either Modern Studies or Physics, the two worst subjects ever IMO. Do you guys think there is anyway of getting by this? If my parents phoned the school maybe?

Also, does anyone know if my school would let me do a crash Higher in Computing in 5th year.
Reply 1
I doubt a phone call from your parents will do much, the columns your school sets can't really be changed. You can, however, look into doing the subjects you want at a college or a near by high school.

If you show that your capable of getting a good grade in Higher computing, then I see no reason why your school wouldn't let you do it.
Same thing happened to me. I had to do 4 and an int 2 in food tec, then decided that I hated French with a passion and changed to maths. Problem was higher maths was full by that time so I only did 3 highers in 5th year.

I would go and see the person dealing with course allocation and explain your problem and if there are enough people in the same dilemma as you they may put on an extra class in that subject. Hope that made some sort of sense!
Quintro
Yeah so I got my choices form out for Higher today. It sucks, I can only do like 3 of the Highers I want. Chemistry and Graphics are in the same column and I want to do both. I also am pretty much being forced to do either Modern Studies or Physics, the two worst subjects ever IMO. Do you guys think there is anyway of getting by this? If my parents phoned the school maybe?

Also, does anyone know if my school would let me do a crash Higher in Computing in 5th year.

YES THERE IS A WAY!
Under Curriculum For Excellence they HAVE to let you take the subjects that will benefit you most and are most capable of. I'll try find the actual legislation in writing but there is a way.
A phone call from your parents is good as schools tend to sh*t themselves at complaints :P
My gf had to take maths and physics cause of columns and ended up with getting A's in her language subjects and failing maths and physics.
So unfair
So i hope this helps and all the best :smile:
Depends on Higher Computing as the programming is very tough and you will have to start with basics to work up to higher programming(at my school during study leave in may they host a 3 day programming workshop for people crashing higher or int2) My school let people into computing with a 2 in SG Maths or INT2 maths A(S4 sitting only). So you should be fine and I am doing this year and its hard like any higher but with work you will pass with a high grade.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone, most people are complaining about it anyway I think so it may get changed.
We jsut got our higher pref forms last week at school. A girl in my year couldn't take all her choices, her parents phoned threatening to move her schools and... they moved the columns around :smile:
Reply 7
Definitely possible. My maths teacher is in charge of the timetable/column stuff and we had a discussion about it the other day. He said there's always people who at first glance at the column sheet, think they can't do all of their subjects they want, but if they came to him he was sure in most cases he would be able to sort it out. Is there definitely no way you can rearrange your choices? I'd think chemistry at least, must be in more than one column, seeing as a lot of people take it.
Reply 8
Vitamin D
Definitely possible. My maths teacher is in charge of the timetable/column stuff and we had a discussion about it the other day. He said there's always people who at first glance at the column sheet, think they can't do all of their subjects they want, but if they came to him he was sure in most cases he would be able to sort it out. Is there definitely no way you can rearrange your choices? I'd think chemistry at least, must be in more than one column, seeing as a lot of people take it.

Nope, Chemistry and Graphics are both in Column E, and they don't appear in any other column. In Column D, there is Modern Studies and a load of subjects I haven't done before.
GingerGoat
YES THERE IS A WAY!
Under Curriculum For Excellence they HAVE to let you take the subjects that will benefit you most and are most capable of. I'll try find the actual legislation in writing but there is a way.
A phone call from your parents is good as schools tend to sh*t themselves at complaints :P
My gf had to take maths and physics cause of columns and ended up with getting A's in her language subjects and failing maths and physics.
So unfair
So i hope this helps and all the best :smile:

curriculum for excelence doesn't come into force until NEXT year, some schools have just opted to start this year. This means that when the op chooses subjects, it won't be covered by the new scheme.
Quintro
Nope, Chemistry and Graphics are both in Column E, and they don't appear in any other column. In Column D, there is Modern Studies and a load of subjects I haven't done before.

Poor show on behalf of your school, have a talk with whoever is in charge of them.
Reply 11
Yea I'll make sure I bring it up at the options interview. It'll end up being changed because no one is happy, I'll just have to hope that change is for the better in my case.

Latest

Trending

Trending