The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

hey i got a scholarship for physics:smile: hope i do well at uni and get another one next year.
Reply 301
Congratulations, what university are you going to?
im off to cardiff:p:
:smile:
I saw my physics teacher today...he said he'll enter my astronomy cw picture of the moon in the astronomy now magazine sometime lol, i think he was joking lol, my drawing was rubbish. compared to my friends hers was amazing she painted a huuge moon and she won the pic of the week or something in that mag.
I miss 6th form :frown:

Note: sorry if i already mention the mag, i cant remember.
NOoo0o0o0o0oooooooooo....phys soc dieing?! like chem lol:p:

wheres F1 fanatic?

You know what im going to be a physicist:smile:

Are there any alternatives to string theory? candidate for the unified theory of everything? I havn't heard of any.
Reply 305
Loop Quantum Gravity, and Twistor Theory are two alternatives to String Theory. Though I think they have less researchers working on them, and even less acceptance amongst physicists. I wrote an essay on LQG during my second year.
jpowell
Loop Quantum Gravity, and Twistor Theory are two alternatives to String Theory. Though I think they have less researchers working on them, and even less acceptance amongst physicists. I wrote an essay on LQG during my second year.

Howcome theres less acceptance for them?
You wrote an essay on LQG so what do you think of it comparing it to string theory?
Whats this variable speed of light idea i've read in an article?
cashmir effects says that light travels a tiny bit faster than c? is it a significant or too tiny and insignificant?
Reply 307
There is less acceptance for them in that there are less researchers working on them, not that that says anything about their validity.

I don't feel that writing an essay on it qualifies me to compare it to string theory (which I am at the moment still only qualitatively knowledgeable about). It is certainly an interesting idea, and it approaches the problem of quantising gravity from a very different angle than that of String Theory. Some researchers in LQG have suggested that String Theory and LQG are themselves both approximations of a deeper theory that will unite the two.

If you want to learn more about LQG then I would reccomend Lee Smolin's book 'Three roads to Quantum Gravity'. He discusses String Theory, LQG and Twistor Theory all in one book :smile:.

I'm not too sure about what theory you are talking about with regards to variable c. LQG quantizes spacetime, and predicts that you will be able to observe this effect in photons that have traveled intergalactic distances, but I'm not entirely sure of the details of that, but it might have involved a small change in c with the vast distances travelled.
I read an article on LQG in New Scientist a few weeks ago, and was most impressed. I like the idea of particles being braided loops in spacetime, with superstrings or point particles there is still the question of what they are 'made of', though this might just be my lack of knowledge. Certainly I think I will get hold of a copy of that book, I don't know anything at all about twistor theory at the moment...
Reply 309
Hi everybody,

I'm doing physics a-level n i'm finding erm ... v.interesting lol.

Are there any textbooks u can recommend (I'm doing AQA A btw).

Thank You!!!!!!!

Hafzal
Reply 310
I can't really recommend because my course is edexcel. Although the text books we use with the course are pretty good to be honest, and i would also recommend the Letts revise A2 books if you want a general help book and a very good revision source.
Reply 311
The Strangest Quark
I read an article on LQG in New Scientist a few weeks ago, and was most impressed. I like the idea of particles being braided loops in spacetime, with superstrings or point particles there is still the question of what they are 'made of', though this might just be my lack of knowledge. Certainly I think I will get hold of a copy of that book, I don't know anything at all about twistor theory at the moment...

There was an NS article by Roger Penrose (Edit: ah, he came up with it :smile: ) on twistor theory a while back.
Probably last year. The trouble with NS physics articles is that they have to generalise so much to make it available to a larger audience. It tends to make some of these theories sound extremely speculative, as if someone just imagined them up. (I hope this isnt the case, and that theyve got at least some maths behind them :biggrin: )
Reply 312
Sir Roger Penrose invented it as you say, how could you doubt it's mathematical content :biggrin:?
toipot2
The trouble with NS physics articles is that they have to generalise so much to make it available to a larger audience. It tends to make some of these theories sound extremely speculative, as if someone just imagined them up.

It's the headlines that really do it. They seem to be having less and less relation to the articles, and always imply that some massive breakthrough has been made, and we're all going to have free energy/hover cars/teleportation/robot slaves. There must be a lot of people who buy it once and become horribly disillusioned.
toipot2
There was an NS article by Roger Penrose (Edit: ah, he came up with it :smile: ) on twistor theory a while back.
Probably last year. The trouble with NS physics articles is that they have to generalise so much to make it available to a larger audience. It tends to make some of these theories sound extremely speculative, as if someone just imagined them up. (I hope this isnt the case, and that theyve got at least some maths behind them :biggrin: )

I saw a lecture by Penrose on Twistor theory... it was extremely interesting, though at the time (and probably still now) I didn't understand it all.
Reply 315
The NS headlines aren't that bad, although some are a little optimistic!

Sending my ucas application this week - F303 here i come lol, just out of interest does anyone have any physics notes from their first year so i can see what to expect?

Btw welcome back from your summer vacation F1 :smile:
Swinely
The NS headlines aren't that bad, although some are a little optimistic!

Sending my ucas application this week - F303 here i come lol, just out of interest does anyone have any physics notes from their first year so i can see what to expect?

Btw welcome back from your summer vacation F1 :smile:

I don't have any to hand, but if you google search for some I'm sure some would turn up. Most of the notes are based on or equivalent to books anyway, so if you check out one of the textbooks for a physics course then you can get a fair idea. Saying that, Im not sure I advise you to do it at this stage. Physics is hierachical and so a lot may look quite scary at this point, but by the time you get there it'll be fine.

Oh and thanks for the welcome :smile:
Reply 317
Does anyone here know the proper derivation of de Broglie's wave-particle relation? My teacher said it was done by equating E=mc^2 and E=hf but this ignores the fact that this is only the rest mass energy as the full equation is E^2=m^2c^4+p^2c^2 which doesn't give the de broglie relation if you equate them:s-smilie:
Reply 318
I would say that the De Broglie relations are not derived, they are instead postulated, and confirmed through experiment.
Lucky guess.

Quick Reply

Latest