The Student Room Group

I'm Physics-cally Trying my Best (A First Year GYG)

A bit about me.
Hey, I'm Imogen (or Immi), and if you didn't guess by the title I'm going to be starting my first year starting physics at Lancaster University. Besides physics I enjoy cooking and baking, and the occasional bit of reading although I just haven't had the time for it recently.

So, this is it.
I've finally made it to my first year of uni, I've been so excited about this since I was probably about 11 (although the subject I'm doing now is completely different from what I wanted to study at 11). In a weird way, I almost can't believe I've actually done it. Move-in for me isn't until the 30th, so it's very late compared to a lot of people, and I think now that the vast majority of people I know have moved it's really sort of sinking in that it's actually real. Scary, but so exciting.

Uni bits
I received 2 scholarships from the university, equalling £3000 in my first year and £1000 in each of my second, third, and fourth years. Finding out about these scholarships was a nice little surprise on results day!
I'm in Pendle College and had to book a slot for move-in yesterday, and it meant I found out which block I was in. I've found a couple of people in the same block as me which is nice.
I also received my timetable yesterday, and it's not as bad as I'd thought it would be (besides starting at 9 a.m. on a Friday and not finishing until 6 p.m.). I don't think it has everything on there yet though, it feels overly empty but we'll see.
Whilst I'm definitely ready to get back to academics, the fact I have not even looked at physics since June is starting to scare me a little, but I've been talking to a couple of other people doing physics and they're all in the same boat as me which definitely makes me feel a lot better.

Goals for the year

Definitely just making sure I keep time for myself to let myself fully settle in and get used to a completely new big change.

Join some societies and the gym!

Try and eat mostly healthily.

Sticking to a budget (which I have yet to work out).

Obviously keeping on top of academics.

Keeping my living space liveable

Maybe get a job?

Enjoy my time there!

I think that just about sums up everything important at the minute! I'll absolutely try and stick with the GYG this year.
Original post by imogenbella
A bit about me.
Hey, I'm Imogen (or Immi), and if you didn't guess by the title I'm going to be starting my first year starting physics at Lancaster University. Besides physics I enjoy cooking and baking, and the occasional bit of reading although I just haven't had the time for it recently.

So, this is it.
I've finally made it to my first year of uni, I've been so excited about this since I was probably about 11 (although the subject I'm doing now is completely different from what I wanted to study at 11). In a weird way, I almost can't believe I've actually done it. Move-in for me isn't until the 30th, so it's very late compared to a lot of people, and I think now that the vast majority of people I know have moved it's really sort of sinking in that it's actually real. Scary, but so exciting.

Uni bits
I received 2 scholarships from the university, equalling £3000 in my first year and £1000 in each of my second, third, and fourth years. Finding out about these scholarships was a nice little surprise on results day!
I'm in Pendle College and had to book a slot for move-in yesterday, and it meant I found out which block I was in. I've found a couple of people in the same block as me which is nice.
I also received my timetable yesterday, and it's not as bad as I'd thought it would be (besides starting at 9 a.m. on a Friday and not finishing until 6 p.m.). I don't think it has everything on there yet though, it feels overly empty but we'll see.
Whilst I'm definitely ready to get back to academics, the fact I have not even looked at physics since June is starting to scare me a little, but I've been talking to a couple of other people doing physics and they're all in the same boat as me which definitely makes me feel a lot better.

Goals for the year

Definitely just making sure I keep time for myself to let myself fully settle in and get used to a completely new big change.

Join some societies and the gym!

Try and eat mostly healthily.

Sticking to a budget (which I have yet to work out).

Obviously keeping on top of academics.

Keeping my living space liveable

Maybe get a job?

Enjoy my time there!

I think that just about sums up everything important at the minute! I'll absolutely try and stick with the GYG this year.

Hi Imogen! Welcome to Grow Your Grades :smile:

That's definitely a fairly late move-in date, isn't it, but at least you've got lots of time to prepare. And congratulations of your scholarships, that's a big achievement!

Which societies do you think you'll be joining?
Reply 2
Original post by Pwca
Hi Imogen! Welcome to Grow Your Grades :smile:

That's definitely a fairly late move-in date, isn't it, but at least you've got lots of time to prepare. And congratulations of your scholarships, that's a big achievement!

Which societies do you think you'll be joining?

Probably baking society and maybe mountaineering because I enjoy climbing and bouldering, but I'm definitely going to have a good look around at the freshers fair and see what else I like the look of!
Probably baking society and maybe mountaineering because I enjoy climbing and bouldering, but I'm definitely going to have a good look around at the freshers fair and see what else I like the look of!

Oh wow, there's a baking society?? Mountaineering club sounds great, especially because I think they tend to do trips. Do you usually climb indoors or outdoors? I'm strictly indoors, there's something about the exposure factor with outdoor climbing that really freaks me out.
Reply 4
Original post by Pwca
Oh wow, there's a baking society?? Mountaineering club sounds great, especially because I think they tend to do trips. Do you usually climb indoors or outdoors? I'm strictly indoors, there's something about the exposure factor with outdoor climbing that really freaks me out.

I actually stopped climbing when I was about 12 or 13 because I just sort of outgrew the wall and the nearest other one was about an hour and a half away but have missed it so much I'm desperate to get back to it. I've never actually tried outdoor climbing but I think I'd be the same about it as you are, but always worth a try!
I actually stopped climbing when I was about 12 or 13 because I just sort of outgrew the wall and the nearest other one was about an hour and a half away but have missed it so much I'm desperate to get back to it. I've never actually tried outdoor climbing but I think I'd be the same about it as you are, but always worth a try!

I guess that's the trouble with climbing, there still aren't that many walls around. I think getting back into it through a club is the best way because you get the encouragement and support. It's a great way to build your confidence and try new things like lead climbing or outdoor trips. It sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun this year!
Hi Imogen,

Ella here, 1st year Physics PhD (I did my integrated masters at Lancaster too). I responded to your other post, but good luck with it all!

Don't worry, I didn't do any pre-reading over the summer before my 1st year undergrad start. It can feel like other people know loads when you're starting lectures - but it's mostly talk. Finding people to do worksheets with is definitely a pro-tip from me, as long as you're all working on the problems together - it's encouraged. The breakout rooms in the physics building are available or you can book pods in the library and all the lectures have an open door policy, don't hesitate to ask them to clarify or give you tips on any of their worksheet questions.

The baking society is lots of fun! I also recommend the craft society and climbing is lots of fun! Caving society is really cool one to join too if you've got climbing experience - Lancaster is an outstanding uni for caving and they do an introductory trip which doesn't need any rope/climbing skills! The climbing wall in the sports centre always looks really cool from outside.

Anyway! good luck, any physics-y questions feel free to ask! They also run a lunchtime drop in for 1st years who want help from older years, I recommend if you're stuck on anything or have questions to go for that!

Also, there's a really cool undergrad women+ in physics conference every year that the uni will pay for, I really recommend signing up! (It's called CUWiP) I went 2/4 of my undergad years and I can't recommend it more.

Good luck!
Ella
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending