The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

can i discuss some physicsy here?????????..........coz i think m not so gud at it............
yadavamit92
can i discuss some physicsy here?????????..........coz i think m not so gud at it............

Well discuss away.....
Reply 762
Introductory quantum mechanics texts anyone? (online)

Yes, I have googled it, but haven't found anything really accessible. It's either too easy, too advanced or directed towards chemists (and no offence to chemists but it's much less mathematically rigorous and 'physically'-explained in some of the notes I've seen).

I can't believe that this is a solution to my boredom. :indiff:
Reply 763
trm90
Introductory quantum mechanics texts anyone? (online)

Yes, I have googled it, but haven't found anything really accessible. It's either too easy, too advanced or directed towards chemists (and no offence to chemists but it's much less mathematically rigorous and 'physically'-explained in some of the notes I've seen).

I can't believe that this is a solution to my boredom. :indiff:

What kind of level are you looking for? This site has several undergraduate lecture courses including QM. I've found it pretty handy.

Hey physics is a great way of relieving boredom. I'm currently reading over some advanced EM notes I've found online :cool:
Reply 764
suneilr
What kind of level are you looking for? This site has several undergraduate lecture courses including QM. I've found it pretty handy.

Hey physics is a great way of relieving boredom. I'm currently reading over some advanced EM notes I've found online :cool:

Thanks for the link!

Right, so I flicked through the upper level undergrad quantum mechanics course and I was fine... until it got to Fourier Transforms :frown: I don't cover that until second semester next year and I don't want to teach it to myself, as with maths I can easily confuse things if I teach it to myself and then receive formal teaching. Damn. Unless I can omit the stuff and carry on, but I dunno, I'd rather not risk it!

Any other links, perhaps? :angel:

Glad to know someone else is spending their free time with physics :biggrin: I think I'll take a look at the upper level undergrad electromag instead.
Reply 765
trm90
Thanks for the link!

Right, so I flicked through the upper level undergrad quantum mechanics course and I was fine... until it got to Fourier Transforms :frown: I don't cover that until second semester next year and I don't want to teach it to myself, as with maths I can easily confuse things if I teach it to myself and then receive formal teaching. Damn. Unless I can omit the stuff and carry on, but I dunno, I'd rather not risk it!

Any other links, perhaps? :angel:

Glad to know someone else is spending their free time with physics :biggrin: I think I'll take a look at the upper level undergrad electromag instead.

Hmm FT's are quite essential since they help in writing functions in terms of particular bases eg expanding wavefunctions in terms of energy eigenstates or converting between position and momentum representations but you dont need to know that much about FT, just the general form of it so it would probably be possible to read through and understand the majority of the notes without formal training in FT's.

There are several links that come up if you do a google search for quantum mechanics filetype:tongue:df.

EM is really interesting. Some of the advanced concepts are just amazing, I wish we'd been taught more than just the basics of EM theory :frown:
Reply 766
suneilr
Hmm FT's are quite essential since they help in writing functions in terms of particular bases eg expanding wavefunctions in terms of energy eigenstates or converting between position and momentum representations but you dont need to know that much about FT, just the general form of it so it would probably be possible to read through and understand the majority of the notes without formal training in FT's.

There are several links that come up if you do a google search for quantum mechanics filetype:tongue:df.

EM is really interesting. Some of the advanced concepts are just amazing, I wish we'd been taught more than just the basics of EM theory :frown:

Thanks again dude :biggrin:

I agree, EM is incredibly interesting. I find it especially interesting how the mathematical formalisms behind it all work out so beautifully! What do you mean by 'basics' though? I always wonder what sort of advanced topics there are. I've looked at Sheffield and RHUL's second year electromag syllabi, and honestly, I genuinely get the feeling the only difference between first and second year electromag is mathematical rigour...

EDIT: But on that note, I am really really excited to do plasma physics in a year and a half's time. Now that stuff looks great :smile: (Totally gave up on the plasma physics lecture notes in your link though - it went way over my head haha)
Reply 767
Yeah the maths in EM is quite wonderful. It's just things like looking at spherical waves, and boundary conditions at the interfaces of dielectrics and things like are only briefly touched upon. I'm quite interested in photonics, so I kind of need to know how boundary conditions at interfaces work in proper detail which is part of the reason I'm trying to learn some more EM now :tongue:

EDIT: Plasma physics is pretty interesting, but also extremely non-rigorous at undergrad level. Trying to describe a plasma in a self consistent way is pretty impossible and so there are quite a lot of simplifying assumptions made.
ocelotrevs
Right, I saw this on the BBC website, but I'm sure it's not correct.

Can anyone prove it?

I think it's correct since gravity only affects the vertical component of the motion, as vertical and horizontal independent of each other. So, theoretically both bullets touch the ground at the same time, provided there's no air resistance.
ocelotrevs
Right, I saw this on the BBC website, but I'm sure it's not correct.

Can anyone prove it?

Bullet fired would have greater mass but things with different mass are accelerated the same amount under the same gravity since a=F/m=W/m=mg/m=g. Only difference is because earth is curved, bullet fired initially has a speed/acceleration in direction away from surface of the earth. Depending on the speed and height from which bullet is fired, this bullet might even go into orbit so never hit the earth. But other bullet just dropped falls directly onto the earth. So bullet just dropped hits first.

I think what they're saying assumes that the earth under each bullet's whole trajectory is flat
Question:

A 47micro Farad capacitor is charged to a p.d. of 15V and then discharged through 100K Ohm resistor. How long does it take for half of the energy stored in the capacitor to have the dissipated in the circuit?

[The answer is : 1.6 seconds if you wanna check]

Please help me!
Original post by Vampire-Love4ever
Question:

A 47micro Farad capacitor is charged to a p.d. of 15V and then discharged through 100K Ohm resistor. How long does it take for half of the energy stored in the capacitor to have the dissipated in the circuit?

Please help me!

What have you done so far? You would be better posting this in the physics forum! Post working if you wish! :smile:
Reply 772
Original post by Vampire-Love4ever
Question:

Please help me!

Hi! May I join? I'm applying for medicine, but I JUST LOVE PHYSICS!

Firstly since C=Q/V
Q=CV= 7.05x10^-4

Total energy, J= 0.5xQ^2/C=5.29x10^-3

half of total energy = 0.5J=2.64x10^-3
At this (half Energy), the Charge Q1=4.99x10^-4

Therefore Charge flown out of capacitor, Q2=Q-Q1=2.07x10^-4 (RMB THIS VALUE)

Avg voltage = (V+V1)/R=12.8V
Avg Current= AvgV/R=1.28x10^-4

Time taken=Q2/Avg Current= (2.07x10^-4)/(1.28x10^-4)=1.6s

NOTE: V1= voltage when capacitor at half energy. use 0.5CV^2=half energy to find!

+ rep me!!!! lol!
Original post by Qi Jia
Hi! May I join? I'm applying for medicine, but I JUST LOVE PHYSICS!

Firstly since C=Q/V
Q=CV= 7.05x10^-4

Total energy, J= 0.5xQ^2/C=5.29x10^-3

half of total energy = 0.5J=2.64x10^-3
At this (half Energy), the Charge Q1=4.99x10^-4

Therefore Charge flown out of capacitor, Q2=Q-Q1=2.07x10^-4 (RMB THIS VALUE)

Avg voltage = (V+V1)/R=12.8V
Avg Current= AvgV/R=1.28x10^-4

Time taken=Q2/Avg Current= (2.07x10^-4)/(1.28x10^-4)=1.6s

NOTE: V1= voltage when capacitor at half energy. use 0.5CV^2=half energy to find!

+ rep me!!!! lol!

Couldnt you of just used:

Q=Q0etRC Q = Q_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}

And the time will be when Q=12Q0Q =\frac{1}{2}Q_0 Sooo:

12Q0=Q0etRC\frac{1}{2}Q_0 = Q_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}

12=etRC\frac{1}{2} = e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}

ln0.5=tRC ln0.5 = -\frac{t}{RC}

t=RCln0.5 t = -RCln0.5

Edit: Hang on I just realised it meant energy not charge lol :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 774
Original post by soutioirsim
Couldnt you of just used:

Q=Q0etRC Q = Q_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}

And the time will be when Q=12Q0Q =\frac{1}{2}Q_0 Sooo:

12Q0=Q0etRC\frac{1}{2}Q_0 = Q_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}

12=etRC\frac{1}{2} = e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}

ln0.5=tRC ln0.5 = -\frac{t}{RC}

t=RCln0.5 t = -RCln0.5

Edit: Hang on I just realised it meant energy not charge lol :p:

Where'd you learn all these cool stuff? Defo not in A-lvls?
Original post by Qi Jia
Where'd you learn all these cool stuff? Defo not in A-lvls?

Yeah it is A-level, we actually just did it this week lol :cool:

Looking back if you look at the two equations:

E=QV E = QV and Q=CVQ = CV

And then combine them to get:

E=Q2C E = \frac{Q^2}{C}

And because "C" is constant then for the energy "E" to halve then "Q" would have to decrease by a factor of 12 \frac{1}{\sqrt2}:

=(Q2)2C= (\frac{Q}{\sqrt2})^2C

=Q22C= \frac{Q^2}{2C}

=12Q2C= \frac{1}{2}\frac{Q^2}{C}

=12E= \frac{1}{2}E

So...

Q02=Q0etRC \frac{Q_0}{\sqrt2} = Q_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}

12=etRC \frac{1}{\sqrt2} = e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}

RCln12=t -RCln\frac{1}{\sqrt2} = t

t=1.629s t = 1.629s

BAM! :headbang:
(edited 13 years ago)
Physics woo!
Reply 777
:eek::eek::eek: YOU LIE!!!
Original post by Qi Jia
:eek::eek::eek: YOU LIE!!!

Nope, I dont lie :biggrin:

yeah it is a-level, we actually just did it this week lol :cool:

Looking back if you look at the two equations:

e=qv e = qv and q=cvq = cv

and then combine them to get:

e=q2c e = \frac{q^2}{c}

and because "c" is constant then for the energy "e" to halve then "q" would have to decrease by a factor of 12 \frac{1}{\sqrt2}:

=(q2)2c= (\frac{q}{\sqrt2})^2c

=q22c= \frac{q^2}{2c}

=12q2c= \frac{1}{2}\frac{q^2}{c}

=12e= \frac{1}{2}e

so...

q02=q0etrc \frac{q_0}{\sqrt2} = q_0e^{-\frac{t}{rc}}

12=etrc \frac{1}{\sqrt2} = e^{-\frac{t}{rc}}

rcln12=t -rcln\frac{1}{\sqrt2} = t

t=1.629s t = 1.629s

bam! :headbang:

i want to hug you right now!
You rock! :d