The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sandra O
if i miss my firm uni by like 20 points is it still possible for the Uni to offer me a place?

yes - it's possible for a firm choice to accept you with ANY grades - if your offer is AAA and you get EEE then your firm still has to CHOOSE to reject you before you get passed on to your insurance...if they decide to take you (and Track shows your offer as Unconditional Firm) then you can only get out of that by being released into Clearing (and if your lucky you might be able to get back to your insurance via Clearing).
Boy-da-man
If I ask my firm choice to release me, do I then also need to contact my insurance choice to enter clearing?

If you ask for a Release and your Firm offer has changed to Unconditional (they can only release someone who is unconditional) then you get Released straight into Clearing (bypassing your insurance choice).

If your Firm offer still says Conditional then they CANNOT Release you into Clearing - but they CAN Reject you. If they Reject you then you will be passed on to your Insurance automatically. If you don't want to go to your Insurance then you have to contact them to ask them to Release (if your Insurance changed to Unconditional Firm) or Reject (if your Insurance is still showing as Conditional) you to get into Clearing.
I need to do a "getting out of your firm/insurance" flowchart....
Reply 383
PQ
I need to do a "getting out of your firm/insurance" flowchart....
Yes please :biggrin:

With scripts :tongue:
Reply 384
Masakei
Hey we are in the same situation! You just have to wait till 19 August and phone them I guess.They need to see if they have extra places for us after receiving the A level results...I have been waiting since March if it makes you feel better=) Good luck to us=)

:s-smilie:
Quicky, sort of off topic but I don't want to make a new thread.

Critical thinking AS initially was on my UCAS form before we were told we could drop it. I did so but completely forgot to tell my firm and insurance, does this matter? My offer was in no way based on critical thinking.
Reply 386
lilangel890
Quicky, sort of off topic but I don't want to make a new thread.

Critical thinking AS initially was on my UCAS form before we were told we could drop it. I did so but completely forgot to tell my firm and insurance, does this matter? My offer was in no way based on critical thinking.
Tell the unis and UCAS anyway. You don't want them wasting time looking for a result that's not there.
Minerva
Tell the unis and UCAS anyway. You don't want them wasting time looking for a result that's not there.

Say another person took the exam and got a U, surely the unis would still be 'looking for the result' ?

I'll give Surrey an email thanks :smile:
Reply 388
lilangel890
Say another person took the exam and got a U, surely the unis would still be 'looking for the result' ?

I'll give Surrey an email thanks :smile:
No, because the U would be on the list - a result can be a fail, after all :smile:

Let UCAS know as well - I would suggest phone call followed by email, myself.
Reply 389
This may be a stupid question but once you've been accepted by your first choice and the offer has been changed to unconditional, do you have to inform your insurance choice that you won't be going? Or is that just done automatically?
Reply 390
naomieify
This may be a stupid question but once you've been accepted by your first choice and the offer has been changed to unconditional, do you have to inform your insurance choice that you won't be going? Or is that just done automatically?
That's done automatically; you don't need to do anything.
Reply 391
Hi I have now decided that I dont want to go to my insurance choice uni should i not get the grades i need for my first choice. Can i cancel my insurance choice and go through clearing instead if not accepted by my firm choice uni ? thanks
this is what i want to know too!
Reply 393
im pretty sure that if you dont get the grades for your firm choice, you will have to take up your insurance...but if i were you i would phone up ucas and explain the reasons...sometimes they let you change it under exceptional circumstances...hope this helps:biggrin:
aloeder
im pretty sure that if you dont get the grades for your firm choice, you will have to take up your insurance...but if i were you i would phone up ucas and explain the reasons...sometimes they let you change it under exceptional circumstances...hope this helps:biggrin:

How exactly do you propose forcing someone to take their place at a uni? :confused:

Anyway...

kemp596
Hi I have now decided that I dont want to go to my insurance choice uni should i not get the grades i need for my first choice. Can i cancel my insurance choice and go through clearing instead if not accepted by my firm choice uni ? thanks

Yes, you can. Just phone up your insurance and ask them to reject you.

Because it's your insurance rejecting you (and not your firm), it's not imperative that it gets done before results day. However, it's better if you can because it means you're not then waiting to be released before you can use Clearing.
Reply 395
It is up to the Uni to release you.
Reply 396
kemp596
If you are sure about this, ring your insurance today and ask them to reject you. You can wait until Results Day but you may not get released quickly enough to be able to take advantage of what there might be in Clearing.
Im scared im going to get my insurance and i really reaqll ont waqnt to go there! x
Reply 398
rawr_its_char
Im scared im going to get my insurance and i really reaqll ont waqnt to go there! x
Then read the post above and do something about it - today.
Reply 399
Minerva
Then read the post above and do something about it - today.

What would be a good reason to say why i have changed my mind to the uni. I cant exactly say I dont want to go anymore because its crap lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending