The Student Room Group

Another "I want to learn some Maths" Thread.

I'm a Psychology Undergrad and am struggling with the Stats side of the Degree, I'm concidering self teaching some A-level stats over the Summer to help with something which will effect me for the rest of my Degree.

Has anyone got any advice as to what I would need to learn before I jumped into stats, would I need to learn alot of the core stuff before I started with the Stats stuff?

I won't be sitting any exams, because I'll have enough on my plate with 2nd year uni. :smile:

Thankyou in advance. :biggrin:
Reply 1
mymaths.co.uk gogogo
Reply 2
Did you do Maths any maths at A level? I think you would probably need C1 (first unit of AS maths) to do S1 and most of S2. There is only a small part of S2 which you would have to use integration at C2 to do, it's not very hard though, so don't worry.
Reply 3
It really depends how strong you are with maths, but I will always recommend to go over the basics just to strengthen it.

Studymates books are great for this and amazon sell them.

I know this may seem unnecessary but I have seen many people jump straight into the deep end and just lose motivation.
Reply 4
i'm not sure what uni you're at or how much stats you guys are doing but honestly, for most of it you don't need any kind of maths knowledge.
There's an awesome book called 'Stats without maths for psychologists' I'm not sure who it's by but you should try that :smile: x
Reply 5
DMV
OP
dam.p
i'm not sure what uni you're at or how much stats you guys are doing but honestly, for most of it you don't need any kind of maths knowledge.
There's an awesome book called 'Stats without maths for psychologists' I'm not sure who it's by but you should try that :smile: x

I've tried it, and my Lecturer said that Feild (Discovering stats using spss, and Sex, and drugs and rock and roll :p:) Was going to be a better book because It'll get us through our Degree, whereas the without maths one will only get us to something like the end of our second year. despite Feilds tangents about extraverts being on Big brother, its easier to digest.

Another Lecturer (who deals with practicals) Said we should try and learn the maths eliment for alot of the statistical tests aswell.
Im not sure how it works at degree level, but so far, all the Stats I've learned from S1-S3 has had no real application in any of my A Level Science. It's actually kind of irritating since I took Stats over Mechanics when I was told that it would help a lot with Biology A2.

Lies :/.

Anyway, since you're 'supposed' to be able to get an A Level in Statistics by itself, it's supposedly quite self standing, but you'll definitely want some practice of Core Maths up to C2 level for the Calculus-y stuff, Binomial, exponentials, etc. Beyond that isn't really necessary, and to be honest, if you can learn a few formulas, you shouldn't even really need to learn C1+C2.
Reply 7
DMV
I've tried it, and my Lecturer said that Feild (Discovering stats using spss, and Sex, and drugs and rock and roll :p:) Was going to be a better book because It'll get us through our Degree, whereas the without maths one will only get us to something like the end of our second year. despite Feilds tangents about extraverts being on Big brother, its easier to digest.

Another Lecturer (who deals with practicals) Said we should try and learn the maths eliment for alot of the statistical tests aswell.

I have no problem with maths at all and learn the maths part for everything, but a lot of my colleagues who do have problems use the without maths book and love it. Not sure if they know the Feild one, will have to tell them about it :biggrin: x
Reply 8
DMV
OP
dam.p
I have no problem with maths at all and learn the maths part for everything, but a lot of my colleagues who do have problems use the without maths book and love it. Not sure if they know the Feild one, will have to tell them about it :biggrin: x

Hes quite chatty and goes of on tangents alot, but his examples are really good and fairly easy to understamd.

Latest