The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are doing it as a uni degree then two 60 point modules would make sense to do surely?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
mortimer6
Hi,

Just wondering whether it's insane to attempt two 60 point OU modules? Anyone doing two? Or know someone who's done two and lived?

Richard

It depends what other commitments you have: two 60 point courses = approximately 32 hours a week, so it would be tough to fit that around working full-time (although I know people do manage it!). Lots and lots of people do study 120 points a year though, so it's not insane per se. Just depends on how much time you have and your reasons for studying :smile:
Mithra
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are doing it as a uni degree then two 60 point modules would make sense to do surely?

The majority of people choose to study with the OU because they have other committments such as they wish to study alongside work, have children etc. Most people probably don't study their degrees like regular students at regular universities...that's kind of the whole point of it.
Reply 4
I wouldn't say it's psychotic exactly. From what I've seen so far, 30's seem to be 60's lite, where there isn't much difference in physical length, just density of information.

The stronger your knowledge and familiarity with a subject before you begin, the more of an advantage it would be to take two 60's over say, a 60 and two 30's or four 30's - this is excluding differences in assignments and number of exams.

Then again, I suppose it depends on which courses. Can you share which modules you have in mind? Maybe someone here will have direct experience of them and could tell you more about the combination.
Reply 5
Thanks for your replies.

Moggs,

Once I'm up to speed I'd be looking at reading for two law modules concurrently: W200/W201, then W300/W301.

From the responses above it sounds like all you need is thirty two hours a week spare, tremendous discipline, several grand and a mind like a steel trap.

(I'm not claiming to be in possession of these qualities, that was just an observation of mine.)

Right now I'm studying with University of London External for their law degree, but I'm going to switch to Open University because of their levels of support (none at all with UoL).

Nobody's told me I'm off my nut, and I'm grateful for your views.

Thanks folks.

All best,

Richard
I think that 2 60 pointers at level 2 would be doable, but as others have already said - depending on your commitments. However I'm not sure I would advise it at level 3. I haven't attempted it myself, but maybe see if there's anyone else on here that's done two level 3s at the same time.

By the way do they exactly overlap? Or is the overlap just a few months out of the courses?
Reply 7
xlouisedoll
I think that 2 60 pointers at level 2 would be doable, but as others have already said - depending on your commitments. However I'm not sure I would advise it at level 3. I haven't attempted it myself, but maybe see if there's anyone else on here that's done two level 3s at the same time.

By the way do they exactly overlap? Or is the overlap just a few months out of the courses?

These would completely overlap, they'd be going concurrently.

It just looks to me like I'd be studying absolutely full time, and looking at two assignments per month. It's a lot isn't it?

I don't have any other commitments, so I should be able to clock up five or six hours study a day (God, that sounds like murder).

I've been reading for the degree at another institution for a good while so I wouldn't be completely in at the deep end.
If you're not working or not working that many hours (which I would assume you are if you intend to take on the equivalent of a full-time course load) then you'll need less than several grand, you should get financial support.

I've done 120 points concurrently with a mix of courses up to level 3, wouldn't say I ever studied 32 hours a week but it does get a little stressful when assignments are due and exams are coming up. Two 30pt courses at level 3 is enough for me now though.
I haven't done it myself but I know someone who studied two level 3 60 pointers concurrently. She managed it (and got a distinction for both) but it was all consuming for those 9 months. So it's definitely doable, but as you say, you'll need tremendous self discipline.

The 32 hours thing is a bit of a fiction really. Does anyone ever really pace their study out absolutely evenly? My study time bunches up around deadlines with fairly leisurely periods in between.
Reply 10
SunburnedCactus
If you're not working or not working that many hours (which I would assume you are if you intend to take on the equivalent of a full-time course load) then you'll need less than several grand, you should get financial support.

I've done 120 points concurrently with a mix of courses up to level 3, wouldn't say I ever studied 32 hours a week but it does get a little stressful when assignments are due and exams are coming up. Two 30pt courses at level 3 is enough for me now though.

You're right about financial support, I spoke to the funding department yesterday and there's no doubt some support will be in order. They couldn't tell me exactly what because the levels will change for next tax year - not surprisingly; I expect it may reduce somewhat.

It sounds like you've done quite a bit of different study with OU, I've heard it's addictive! I'm hoping to bash this course out in one quick splurge, so I know it's going to be an intense three years.

The last year of the path I'm looking at could contain one 60 point and two 30 point courses, but I won't be going to work at all, just slogging the books.
Reply 11
lupinpooter
I haven't done it myself but I know someone who studied two level 3 60 pointers concurrently. She managed it (and got a distinction for both) but it was all consuming for those 9 months. So it's definitely doable, but as you say, you'll need tremendous self discipline.

The 32 hours thing is a bit of a fiction really. Does anyone ever really pace their study out absolutely evenly? My study time bunches up around deadlines with fairly leisurely periods in between.

Any anecdotal evidence that this can be done is strengthening! Anyway if I start off and it gets to be too mad I can put off a module until the next year without being severely punished.

The 16 hour/60 point module is a useful guideline to the newcomer like myself, but your counsel about bunching is noted!
I can say with certainty that in the 2 and a bit years I've been doing this I've never come close to 32 hours in a week. Maybe I am a mild slacker :wink:

The most solid advice is to get ahead wherever you can so you've got plenty of time around deadlines, as they usually occur around the same time.
mortimer6
These would completely overlap, they'd be going concurrently.

It just looks to me like I'd be studying absolutely full time, and looking at two assignments per month. It's a lot isn't it?

I don't have any other commitments, so I should be able to clock up five or six hours study a day (God, that sounds like murder).

I've been reading for the degree at another institution for a good while so I wouldn't be completely in at the deep end.

Its definitely doable, but if you're saying things like "that sounds like murder" are you absolutely sure it's the right thing to do? Better to take a bit longer studying and do well than to do both at the same time and find it a drag to have to study so much that it affects your grades.

Just another perspective to think about :smile:
Reply 14
finished 6 years of OU study last year. I would honestly say the 16 hours a week for a 60-point course is way off reality. I would probably halve that for an average. my experience is that you do an hour or two here or there for 3 weeks and then do a shed load of work in the fourth week to get your TMA done.
richaj
finished 6 years of OU study last year. I would honestly say the 16 hours a week for a 60-point course is way off reality. I would probably halve that for an average. my experience is that you do an hour or two here or there for 3 weeks and then do a shed load of work in the fourth week to get your TMA done.

:yes:

Each point = 10 hours of study, but I guess 600 hours sounds a bit meaningless, so the OU divvies it up to give people a rough idea of time commitment. I easily spend 600 hours studying for a 60 point course, but those hours aren't evenly spread. I think it's the same for most OU students: one of the joys of distance learning is that you can schedule those hours to suit yourself :smile:
Reply 16
To finish my degree in Oct 2012, I'm going to have to do two 60 pointers in a year. Unfortunately the majority of courses for my business studies degree are once a year from Feb-Oct, and it's either wait 6 months before doing the next course and graduate a year later, or work really hard and do both at once! My only concern is that they both have exams :s-smilie: I'm sure it will be ok!
Two exams isn't so bad, hopefully you get lucky in how they're spread out over the two week period. I'm not sure if having them on consecutive days or a week apart is better though...
Reply 18
Starting my degree this year as well, going for two 60 point modules, good luck if you go with your plan;>
Reply 19
This thread is very convenient. I hope you won't mind if I post my course dilemma in here, but it's an appropriate thread and I didn't want to clog up the forum by creating another. :o:

I've been considering doing S216 and S204 (both 60 pointers) together next year but I’m a bit concerned about:
1. The two TMAs a month.
2. I’d have residential schools to complete, which I’m not sure the OU would allow because the two courses by themselves add up to 120 points already. 2011 will be the last year to study level 2 residentials schools before they are removed. I have to get those done if I need them/want them.
3. Two (probably quite large?) exams. Having very limited experience of exams, I’m very nervous about it.

I could do one of those and a level 3 course. That would obviously still have exams (less assignments though) and it would mean I could do the residentals a little easier. I'm a bit apprehensive though as all the level 3 courses I want to study recommend having studied both these courses/having done all your level 2 courses first, leading me to worry about the step up in material. I'm fed up of fretting over it so I thought I'd come here, ask and make myself feel like a total noob. :colondollar:

Any advice or suggestions about this would be helpful. :yep:

Latest