The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys. I've got my test booked for 20th June. Really nervous.

Do any of you have a problem when reversing remembering which way to turn the wheel? I know it sounds stupid, but I think I just get into a panic and when I'm doing manouvres I'll either just forget everything, or if I need to correct myself I'll have to sit for ages trying to work out which way I need to steer >.< I just need to calm down...
Reply 1981
Original post by fredscarecrow

Do any of you have a problem when reversing remembering which way to turn the wheel? I know it sounds stupid, but I think I just get into a panic and when I'm doing manouvres I'll either just forget everything, or if I need to correct myself I'll have to sit for ages trying to work out which way I need to steer >.< I just need to calm down...

not really, if you want to reverse to your left then turn the steering to the left and vice versa. but sometimes you can forget which way the wheel is turned. Just use clutch control and slightly move the car to see which way it is turning then adjust the steering as necessary. If you are uncomfotable with it I suggest Good luck on you test I have mine around the same date.

Originally Posted by PapaShmurff
I have so much trouble remembering how many times i've turned the steering wheel it's screwing up my reversing maneuveres, was sitting there for about 5 minutes today with no clue what way to turn the wheel to straighten my wheels up, I'm blaming the weather being too hot

This was me in this thread about a week ago :lol:
Original post by PapaShmurff

Ahah, I'm glad it's not just me. Definitely blame it on the weather!

Do any of you have a problem when reversing remembering which way to turn the wheel? I know it sounds stupid, but I think I just get into a panic and when I'm doing manouvres I'll either just forget everything, or if I need to correct myself I'll have to sit for ages trying to work out which way I need to steer &gt;.&lt; I just need to calm down...

If it makes either of you feel better I have to physically sit there and work it out before I start reversing, and I've passed my test :colondollar:
Original post by xKTx
:eek: I drove home today (3rd 1 1/2 hr lesson, so 4 1/2 hrs) and I thought that was soon! It was down a 40mph road

:|

On my first lesson he drove me to a slip road off the A road my road is off, we talked about the clutch and gears then he got me to drive forward then reverse back. Then he said "okay now drive forward onto the main road" (this road is 60 mph and we had to do roundabouts and shiz - I went to 5th gear in my first lesson! BUT where I live everywhere is like this, so I think basically it was important to get me used to driving in these conditions as soon as).

Everyone you just have to remember to remain calm (try and pretend you're a taxi driver or something :p:) as I almost failed my test because I gave up half way through as I thought i'd failed!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by inksplodge

Original post by inksplodge
oh god sorry just negatively rated your post by accident trying to hit quote &gt;_&lt; please remind me to rate you again and ill pos you :smile:

no not really they are only up for a second and can see out of the corner of your eye. apparently examiners use them in tests sometimes :smile:

Are you allowed to pos me again now?
Reply 1987
I feel like a learner driver again!

I drove for the first time the other day since I passed my driving test, and my hatred for the gas pedal and clutch all came rushing back to me. >.<

Learning to drive on a provisional license really is only the beginning. >.< I'm considering taking the Pass Plus to inject some of the confidence back into meeee.
Original post by museobsessed
Are you allowed to pos me again now?

not yet >_< ill check again in a couple of days :smile:

my instructor said i should be going onto the dual carriageway in about 4 lessons. i'll be nearing the 50 hour mark, ack
Reply 1989

I have the exact same problem! It just takes me so long to work it out and by the time I have I have completely messed up the manoeuvre. Good luck with your test though. Sure if you stay calm it will go well.

I passed a couple of months ago and I still have to think about it. I was in a multi-storey the other week and reversed out of a space turning the wheel the wrong way and ended up facing the wrong way :tongue: Had to go back in and do it again.
Reply 1991
booked another test for just under a month away, hopefully i won't mess it up this time :frown:
Reply 1992
Original post by sofee
booked another test for just under a month away, hopefully i won't mess it up this time :frown:

good luck... hopefully we can both manage a pass this time round!!
Hey guys, just out of interest how long did it take you to be able to find the 'bite' easily, Im only on my second lesson so dont expect to be able to do it yet but I find controlling the car pretty easy its just that holding me back atm
Original post by MissLightyear
Hey guys, just out of interest how long did it take you to be able to find the 'bite' easily, Im only on my second lesson so dont expect to be able to do it yet but I find controlling the car pretty easy its just that holding me back atm

By 'easy' do you mean quickly? I'm wondering this... I held people up at traffic lights while I was finding it :colondollar:
Original post by xKTx
By 'easy' do you mean quickly? I'm wondering this... I held people up at traffic lights while I was finding it :colondollar:

I mean im finding steering and turning fine and am pretty confident at it but sometimes I held a few people up while i was trying to find the biting point :redface:

Also I had to do a hill start today and i had it for a second but struggled to keep my foot in the same place and found myself rolling forwards or backwards whilst checking the mirrors
Reply 1996
I've had 10 lessons and still struggle finding it quickly!
Had a lesson yesterday where my instructor was being examined on his teaching, felt like early experience of a test situation for me in a way :lol: Went pretty well mostly, then on the way back to the centre, was coming up a hill on a closed junction, came to stop, started to find the bite to balance the car but started rolling back so he told me to put the handbrake up. Start edging forward for a better view, I panicked about rolling back and ended up rolling too far forward almost into the main road, panicked and stalled, did this another 3 times :facepalm: eventually got moving then stalled at the next traffic lights, baring in my mind i haven't stalled in my last 6 or 7 lessons. He said i did well for him at the end though :biggrin: Really need to practise my hill starts!
(edited 13 years ago)

Had a lesson yesterday where my instructor was being examined on his teaching, felt like early experience of a test situation for me in a way :lol: Went pretty well mostly, then on the way back to the centre, was coming up a hill on a closed junction, came to stop, started to find the bite to balance the car but started rolling back so he told me to put the handbrake up. Start edging forward for a better view, I panicked about rolling back and ended up rolling too far forward almost into the main road, panicked and stalled, did this another 3 times :facepalm: eventually got moving then stalled at the next traffic lights, baring in my mind i haven't stalled in my last 6 or 7 lessons. He said i did well for him at the end though :biggrin: Really need to practise my hill starts!

I'm pretty good at hill starts. the secret is that you need to take your foot off the clutch more than you would normally (ie. higher up) to find the bite and easy off slowly as normal
Had my first lesson today, I enjoyed it. I've got clutch control OK but I'm struggling to accelerate smoothly, any tips?

Latest

Trending

Trending