The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
Original post by nooneyouknow
Test tommorrow eek! Get the feeling I'm going to fail unless I get reverse around a corner I'm actually good at them!

Same! Or bay parking, what time is yours?
Original post by Jay™
Same! Or bay parking, what time is yours?

Had mine today failed because of a very stupid mistake :frown: But I did get my reverse around a corner so good in a way. Good luck with yours!
Reply 3982
Had mine today failed because of a very stupid mistake :frown: But I did get my reverse around a corner so good in a way. Good luck with yours!

Ahh man that sucks, im so sorry, what was your mistake?

Sorry i meant mine was today, i wasnt looking at your post date! Im nervous as helllllll
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jay™

Sorry i meant mine was today, i wasnt looking at your post date! Im nervous as helllllll

I didn't look left enouch when emerging from a junction and there was a car coming along so the examiner had to break otherwise I only got 2 minors :smile: You'll be fine just remember to breathe and check your mirrors every two minutes :biggrin: Goo luck!
Original post by Jay™

Good luck!
I didn't look left enouch when emerging from a junction and there was a car coming along so the examiner had to break otherwise I only got 2 minors :smile: You'll be fine just remember to breathe and check your mirrors every two minutes :biggrin: Goo luck!

:console: That was bad luck. At least though you know you can drive while getting a very low number of minors so next time so long as observations are good you should pass no problem :biggrin:
Reply 3985
Passed with 3 minors!

One for traffic lights, stopping when it was green apparently?
One for steering, dont know what this was about.
One for questions, she didnt let me finish my answer!

Nevertheless i passed!
Original post by Jay™
Passed with 3 minors!

Nevertheless i passed!

Well done :biggrin:
damn you really need balls to drive :frown: Its all about confidence which is something I kind of lack in regards to cars...haha although my instructor thinks I'll be a great driver...
Original post by Jay™
Passed with 3 minors!

Nevertheless i passed!

Congratulations! You can now rip that L sign :wink:
How many hours of lessons did you have?
Reply 3988
Thankyou :biggrin:

I had 15 hours in total, 1 1hr lesson at the start, and 7 2hr lessons as the test centre is 25-30 mins away, so i had to have 2hr lessons to learn the roads around the area.
Original post by Jay™
Thankyou :biggrin:

I had 15 hours in total, 1 1hr lesson at the start, and 7 2hr lessons as the test centre is 25-30 mins away, so i had to have 2hr lessons to learn the roads around the area.

That's sick.

I did mine in 24 hours and I though that was decent! LOL
Reply 3990
Slowly improving with my driving. My spacial awareness seems poor, noticable when I just can't seem to get parallel parking and reverse around a corner accurate. Any tips? I think I may over think them, looking for the turning points and stuff when it might be best to just use my instinct?

And Sometimes forgetting to go back to gear 1 when I've slowed down to a stop which is awfully embarrassing when you try and pull away and end up bunny hopping down the high street...
Original post by Mouth
Slowly improving with my driving. My spacial awareness seems poor, noticable when I just can't seem to get parallel parking and reverse around a corner accurate. Any tips? I think I may over think them, looking for the turning points and stuff when it might be best to just use my instinct

I learn best by having set patterns, so love the reverse round corner and parallel park...even with pretty poor spacial awareness :')
reverse round corner: use the left mirror loads and as the kerb gets smaller than a drain-width steer slightly right, as it gets further steer slightly left - works every time :biggrin:
parallel park: LRRL, first right just before 2o'clock, second right at a drain-width, left as you line up :smile:
Original post by Mouth
Slowly improving with my driving. My spacial awareness seems poor, noticable when I just can't seem to get parallel parking and reverse around a corner accurate. Any tips? I think I may over think them, looking for the turning points and stuff when it might be best to just use my instinct?

And Sometimes forgetting to go back to gear 1 when I've slowed down to a stop which is awfully embarrassing when you try and pull away and end up bunny hopping down the high street...

Totally agree with above on reverse around a corner in all honesty as long as the curb stays within sight of your left mirror at all times it doesn't matter too much how far out you are :smile: Using turning points is useful but it's always good to mix them with your instincts but you'll need the turning point just so you remember to stop and do your looks.
My instructor gave me some turning points/reference points, but he also gave me a little pattern to follow. With the corner reverse, I would only ever put one turn of the wheel on at a time - usually one turn in, then take it off, when needed put it back, then take it off. It meant that I was always 100% aware of where my wheels were pointing and how to straighten up etc lol. :redface:
Reply 3994
Passed my theory! Now just for the big scary driving test D=
Original post by nadiah

Well done!
I've resumed lessons now after 5 months. My instructor's now got a Ford Fiesta and the clutch is so different to the Peugeot 207 he had before - you actually have to be precise, it's making for some very jerky starts and a couple of stalls today.

On the whole though, a good lesson.

Original post by nadiah

Well done :smile:
Reply 3997
Ahh actually passed my driving test yesterday, first time and no minors :eek3::eek4:. Really happy :smile:

Good luck to you all and thanks for the support in this thread the whole time I was learning, it does really help :smile:
Had a pretty bad lesson, my instructor got a new car and I managed to stall a few times at the beginning, I never stall :emo:
I can't seem to get the hang of stopping the car smoothly! I've gotten up to 3rd gear, done mini-roundabouts and left turns, yet I can't do this basic thing! It's rather frustrating.

Latest

Trending

Trending