The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
My test is on Tuesday, I'm getting soo nervous!! I had my last lesson today and most of it went fine but I still can't do my reverse park! Going to practice once more before the test but hoping it doesn't come up! He said the drive in general is the best he's seen me just hope I can keep it up a bit longer!!
jessyfantastic90
what I do is practice on my mum and sisters car and here is a helpful website.

http://www.2pass.co.uk/gears.htm
http://www.2pass.co.uk/roundabout.htm
just click on practical bit then the how 2 bit for help on manouevers and other stuff

Sorry if this question's a little silly, but can I just ask, when you say you practise changing gears in your mum/sister's car, do you do it whilst the car is stationary, or whilst it's moving and you're driving it? I also have trouble with gear changes, but I don't feel confident enough to practise driving in a non-driving school car just yet :o:

Also thanks for posting those links, very useful :top:
FIFTH test on Thursday, really determined to pass this time! I'm afraid of putting too much emphasis on passing (I've kinda already started looking at cars and making potential plans...), though I think I'm calmer than I was last time. I just hope I get a nice route and examiner this time, and that I don't face any idiots. Or a cat sitting in the middle of the road like I did today...
Does anyone have any tips for how to cope with practising outside lessons with parents? We just end up getting into arguments.. I've only had 12hours of lessons so I'm still pretty uncertain and end up feeling really at sea with my parents cos they don't remind me of silly things like mirrors, handbrake on etc.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Sorry if this question's a little silly, but can I just ask, when you say you practise changing gears in your mum/sister's car, do you do it whilst the car is stationary, or whilst it's moving and you're driving it? I also have trouble with gear changes, but I don't feel confident enough to practise driving in a non-driving school car just yet :o:

Also thanks for posting those links, very useful :top:

That's okay :smile: I do it whilst stationary and do it for about 10-15 mins. I change gears 1 at a time so I do 1st gear,2nd,3rd,4th, reverse. Then I do Odd patterns like 2nd to 3rd ,4th to 2nd and soo on. I look at the gears at first then I practise without looking at the gears, I gotta practice some more though but I'm getting the hang of it.
My test just got cancelled 19 hours before. :emo:
affinity89
Starting to get annoyed with my instructor.

He has messed me around a few times. Cancelling/postponing/changing lesson times to fit in with his test students. I understood that and dealt with it. Now, however, he really is taking the michael. He has changed my lesson tomorrow four times! He said he was sorry but he had 'new students messing him around'. Now my lesson for tomorrow it postponed until Friday! I think it is dreadful to keep altering my lessons, as someone who has been learning with him for a few months now, to fit in with new students. Especially as, when I started, I had to wait a week before I got a lesson because he was fully booked with existing students.

I don't think I have time to start again. I only have a month or so to go before I run out of time [and money!]... Still, if he does it - yet again - I might have to sack him. It isn't fair.

Can you not find another instructor? You could just spend the first few minutes with a new instructor explaining how far along you are. I went through 4 instructors, I didn't find any problems switching.
affinity89
I don't know who I would have instead. Most of my friends learned to drive years ago. I have one friend having lessons now and she is having trouble too. Her instructor has turned up 10 minutes to every lesson she has had and on the last one, he was hungover!

Have you tried google? :holmes:
Reply 988
For anyone who isn't happy with their instructor's performance, just change. It'll save you time and money in the long run. I could have been passed ages ago if I switched instructor earlier.
Atrixa
For anyone who isn't happy with their instructor's performance, just change. It'll save you time and money in the long run. I could have been passed ages ago if I switched instructor earlier.

Definitely.

Same here, but I'm still grateful that I changed and found a good instructor.
Reply 990
Omg, this time next week I'll have sat my test :woo:
Hiiiiiiiiiii everybody :smile: new to this thread, started driving a year ago but it's been a bit sporadic, as I kept my driving instructor in my home city whilst at uni, and now I've graduated I've got a house in my uni city til the end of August, so changed to an instructor there until then (hopefully longer if I get a job). I lack logic, I know. Should've switched to an instructor in my uni city ages ago probably, but you live and learn.

Anyway, I reckon I've had about 35 lessons in total, 27-ish with old instructor and about 8 with my new one. He's just started taking me round the test area which is exciting. I really want to be test ready soon, eek! Does anyone fancy my chances of being ready to book a test at the end of this month if I have 3 lessons each week until then? Haha. Too optimistic? I'm going to ask my instructor what he reckons tomorrow I think...
affinity89
Starting to get annoyed with my instructor.

He has messed me around a few times. Cancelling/postponing/changing lesson times to fit in with his test students. I understood that and dealt with it. Now, however, he really is taking the michael. He has changed my lesson tomorrow four times! He said he was sorry but he had 'new students messing him around'. Now my lesson for tomorrow it postponed until Friday! I think it is dreadful to keep altering my lessons, as someone who has been learning with him for a few months now, to fit in with new students. Especially as, when I started, I had to wait a week before I got a lesson because he was fully booked with existing students.

I don't think I have time to start again. I only have a month or so to go before I run out of time [and money!]... Still, if he does it - yet again - I might have to sack him. It isn't fair.

Change instructor! Remember your paying a LOT of money so it is perfectly reasonable for you to expect him to turn up on time. At the moment it sounds like he's taking advantage of you, so get on to yell.com and find another instructor. I changed instructors after 3 lessons because my 1st instructor messed me about like this and now after 11 lessons with my new instructor i'm ready to take the test :smile:
Reply 993
shortysally
Hiiiiiiiiiii everybody :smile: new to this thread, started driving a year ago but it's been a bit sporadic, as I kept my driving instructor in my home city whilst at uni, and now I've graduated I've got a house in my uni city til the end of August, so changed to an instructor there until then (hopefully longer if I get a job). I lack logic, I know. Should've switched to an instructor in my uni city ages ago probably, but you live and learn.

Anyway, I reckon I've had about 35 lessons in total, 27-ish with old instructor and about 8 with my new one. He's just started taking me round the test area which is exciting. I really want to be test ready soon, eek! Does anyone fancy my chances of being ready to book a test at the end of this month if I have 3 lessons each week until then? Haha. Too optimistic? I'm going to ask my instructor what he reckons tomorrow I think...

Book it.

I also know it sounds ridiculous, but you might be wasting a lot of cash on having three lessons a week until your test. It depends how competent you are with your manoeuvres and observations, I suppose.
ewen1605
Book it.

I also know it sounds ridiculous, but you might be wasting a lot of cash on having three lessons a week until your test. It depends how competent you are with your manoeuvres and observations, I suppose.

Hmm, I don't think I'm bad at driving and my observation is usually good, though haven't practised manouvres much with this instructor so probably it would take quite a lot of work to be perfect at everything. I guess if I book a test soon though, it would probably be ages until the actual date anyway, I've heard waiting times are bad. I will talk to my instructor about it definitely tomorrow, whilst also trying extra hard to be a brilliant driver heh.:smile: :p:

Thanks for the reply:smile:
Reply 995
shortysally
Hmm, I don't think I'm bad at driving and my observation is usually good, though haven't practised manouvres much with this instructor so probably it would take quite a lot of work to be perfect at everything. I guess if I book a test soon though, it would probably be ages until the actual date anyway, I've heard waiting times are bad. I will talk to my instructor about it definitely tomorrow, whilst also trying extra hard to be a brilliant driver heh.:smile: :p:

Thanks for the reply:smile:

When I found out there was a waiting list of six weeks to book tests at my nearest centre, I booked it straight away, and then set myself the goal of being ready by the time the test date came around.

If there's a similar waiting time at your test centre of around 4 to 6 weeks, I think you'll have easily enough time to practice your manoeuvres to perfection.
jessyfantastic90
That's okay :smile: I do it whilst stationary and do it for about 10-15 mins. I change gears 1 at a time so I do 1st gear,2nd,3rd,4th, reverse. Then I do Odd patterns like 2nd to 3rd ,4th to 2nd and soo on. I look at the gears at first then I practise without looking at the gears, I gotta practice some more though but I'm getting the hang of it.

OK, that's cool to hear :smile:. Do you practice this without using clutch, or do you use the clutch? I presume that the car shouldn't move if the handbrake is on, so it should be OK, right? I just want to make sure I can get the hang of everything, that's all :o:
Reply 997
I have my test in 2 and a half hours - so so nervous!!
DebraN9

Good luck! :smile:
DebraN9

Good luck. Hopefully the weather holds. :yy:

Hours 35-36 (Lesson 4 after rebirth). It was pissing it down. Stalled less. I hate rain because when it is dry I actually use the windscreen wiper to help with my positioning. First hour I didn't really notice it but in the second hour I started to focus on positioning and my concentration on everything else went down. Similarly when I decide to do 25-30 instead of 30 because I'm still speeding ":frown:" I tense up and fail to check mirrors. 2 awful LRRC, went wide both times (probably only a minor on 1 and nothing wrong on the other) but I feel I'm not close enough to the kerb compared to previous attempts. Did one with a massive puddle over the kerb/road so I was a bit apprehensive about it and spent too long observing and not enough looking in that wing mirror.

Rain: aquaplaning at times I felt, either that or the car felt weird at times. What's the best way to correct it?

Had 2 major failing points - one at a big roundabout - deciding to go when cars on the roundabout turning off at the next exit and secondly being too bold when encountering parked cars - it was the other guy's right of way and I still went through and caused him to slow down.

TIR fine, parallel park still a good distance away from the kerb so I still need to correct. Emergency stop in the rain :woo:. Skidding and stuff I after I stopped I lifted the clutch ever so slightly before I took it out of gear and stalled the car (other 2 stalls were at a junction and forgetting the car was in gear when starting the car).

Final lesson on the 19th (when my test was originally scheduled) and my test is in 2 weeks on the 24th.

Latest

Trending

Trending