The Student Room Group

The football rivalries that never were.

Scroll to see replies

R-KAM
This.

The problem I see with it Poo, is too much of it is down to relgious reasons, rather than it being purely footballing reasons.

But even then, the media does blow out of proportion how much of the rivalry is based on religious hate, rather than both being Glasgow teams / title contenders etc.

Hullo, Hullo
We are the Billy Boys
Hullo, Hullo
You'll know us by our noise
We're up to our knees in fenian blood
Surrender or you'll die
For we are
The Brigton Derry Boys

It's not quite blown out of proportion, had religion not been involved, it'd have been just another derby, but anytime I've ever been up to an old firm game it's looked like Ireland were playing Britain rather than Celtic vs Rangers.
That's exactly it - I'm a Catholic, but I don't feel a particular allegiance to Celtic based on that. It's football. It's not a religious dick waving contest. FFS, there's enough bigotry going around between Protestants and Catholics as it is to make football - a competitive sport - yet another source of division. It pisses me right off and whenever I see people glorifying that with the excuse of "rivalry" I just want to scream. It's not rivalry beyond the fact they are Glasgow's two biggest clubs, indeed throughout Scotland entire, and dominate their league. However, the league itself is frankly of little consequence and their clubs are non entities today in terms of European competition. That's not to sound disrespectful, just factual. If I wanted to look at it religiously and politically I could make a big hooha of it and call it a massive "rivalry" . . .

In reality, they are two small fish in a frighteningly small pond, enough to make them look ******* huge. But that's it.

And yes, Glee is awesome. I believe in fact that anyone who doesn't like it should be executed. :sexface: It has cost me any kind of a social life and yet I love it to death.
girl_in_keele
I live in Luton, they hate Watford, and vice versa... I don't understand this as we're not even in the same county... And its extreme HATE.

Apparently they both hate Millwall too, but hating eachother comes first then Millwall, and that's in London (??).

But the hatred is bad, to the point that I don't tell people I work with that my fella is from Watford, I tell them he's from Windsor where he works lmao! I wish I was joking but I'm not...

Crazy as Watford and Luton aren't even in the same league haha!

In the 80s Milwall ran riot in Lutons ground and then the town. It was one of the worst cases of football violence ever. So bad that one police officer died during the whole thing from a heartattack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ulESIRFKWs

As a QPR fan we also hate Luton too...
Hubert Poo
The stuff on here is a joke for the most part. Goodness sake, if there's anything such thing as two clubs being friendly it's Arse and Pool. They have a huge amount of respect for one another in general.

No, that would be Sunderland and Norwich: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_City_F.C.#Friendship_Trophy
Reply 64
Jeppaloth
Never understood why Stockport fans hate us so much.

They beat us a few times when we were in the same league and they were a division higher than us in 1998 so they felt like billy big bollox.

Had the cheek to be collecting money outside our gaff on match day though.
Reply 65
Hubert Poo
That's exactly it - I'm a Catholic, but I don't feel a particular allegiance to Celtic based on that. It's football. It's not a religious dick waving contest. FFS, there's enough bigotry going around between Protestants and Catholics as it is to make football - a competitive sport - yet another source of division. It pisses me right off and whenever I see people glorifying that with the excuse of "rivalry" I just want to scream. It's not rivalry beyond the fact they are Glasgow's two biggest clubs, indeed throughout Scotland entire, and dominate their league. However, the league itself is frankly of little consequence and their clubs are non entities today in terms of European competition. That's not to sound disrespectful, just factual. If I wanted to look at it religiously and politically I could make a big hooha of it and call it a massive "rivalry" . . .

In reality, they are two small fish in a frighteningly small pond, enough to make them look ******* huge. But that's it.

And yes, Glee is awesome. I believe in fact that anyone who doesn't like it should be executed. :sexface: It has cost me any kind of a social life and yet I love it to death.

I'm not catholic and religion has nothing to do with my hatred of Rangers. Their scummy racist fans are enough to make that.

The best rivalries in football are usually about more than just football. Celtic and Rangers, Barcelona and Real Madrid are the great major rivalries in Europe that have more to do with politics; one team being the establishment team, the other being the team/fan base that has been discriminated against through most of their history despite almost always challenging for honours on the pitch, post ww2 at least.
Religion is not a basis for that though, normally, unless they collectively have small cocks. I cannot see how anyone can justify that.
Reply 67
Hubert Poo

Everything you said is bang on.

Shame our league turned out to be such a state, from being a european force, to more recently atleast having some european runs, to the joke we are now. I feel like a liverpool fan :teehee: (Sorry, had too :p: )

You've just made me angry at how much of joke the clubs and the SFA are, **** the SPL.
R-KAM
Everything you said is bang on.

Shame our league turned out to be such a state, from Euro being a european force, to more recently atleast having some european runs, to the joke we are now. I feel like a liverpool fan :teehee: (Sorry, had too :p: )

You've just made me angry at how much of joke the clubs and the SFA are, **** the SPL.

Believe it or not dude I didn't enjoy writing it. :frown: I'd love to see a competitive SPL (in wider terms I mean) - it would be good for everyone, and when a Scottish club is in Europe generally I support them as a British team. I'm still pissed off at Celtic getting cheated to **** in the 2003 UEFA Cup Final but Maureen's little handbaggers, for instance. The Dutch league have suffered recently with a similar decline, if not worse.

The pity is that it's so locked I can't see a way of rectifying matters. Sure there's the idea about the OF moving south, but it's arguably less workable than even a total overhaul of the Scottish system and would simply cut off all the other SPL clubs. A strong SPL is the ideal target, not a stronger PL, imo.
Reply 69
Hubert Poo
Believe it or not dude I didn't enjoy writing it. :frown: I'd love to see a competitive SPL (in wider terms I mean) - it would be good for everyone, and when a Scottish club is in Europe generally I support them as a British team. I'm still pissed off at Celtic getting cheated to **** in the 2003 UEFA Cup Final but Maureen's little handbaggers, for instance. The Dutch league have suffered recently with a similar decline, if not worse.

The pity is that it's so locked I can't see a way of rectifying matters. Sure there's the idea about the OF moving south, but it's arguably less workable than even a total overhaul of the Scottish system and would simply cut off all the other SPL clubs. A strong SPL is the ideal target, not a stronger PL, imo.

Moving the OF south, the state of the OF fans would be a virus to the PL. Up there with the likes of Phil Brown and Tony Pulis.

There are hopefully plans to make the league stronger, wether via making it larger etc in the mix. But who knows.

**** it, this is for another time and another thread :smile:
Reply 70
Aimee91
Leeds and Man U?
:frown:

Are you taking the ******* piss? Have you heard of that big thing out your window called The Penines? Or the fact Leeds are *****? Or a million other reasons, and we haven't started on football.
Reply 71
sebas_back
Are you taking the ******* piss? Have you heard of that big thing out your window called The Penines? Or the fact Leeds are *****? Or a million other reasons, and we haven't started on football.

The OP was asking about his criteria for rivalries including "Teams who are of a similar quality - if two teams are local but are of vastly different quality, there isn't much sense being rivals"

and asked if any teams didn't fit with these criteria. I used Leeds and Man U as teams that they are (no longer) of similar quality but are still rivals. Think the swearing was a bit ott.
Hubert Poo
Religion is not a basis for that though, normally, unless they collectively have small cocks. I cannot see how anyone can justify that.

Religion's only really a basis for one side of the divide, no matter how much they protest otherwise. Whilst a lot of the Celtic support identify as Catholic and, perhaps, see the club as a Catholic club, the rivalry with Rangers is both down to a kick-back against anti-Catholicism and a polar opposite view on the Ireland situation.

I know the demographics make it look like a purely religious thing, it's not, it's much more complicated than that. I CGAF about religion and I'm in exactly the same position as Jim, above. The only song about religion I know from "our" side is The Protestant Men...
Reply 73
Celtic_Anthony
Religion's only really a basis for one side of the divide, no matter how much they protest otherwise. Whilst a lot of the Celtic support identify as Catholic and, perhaps, see the club as a Catholic club, the rivalry with Rangers is both down to a kick-back against anti-Catholicism and a polar opposite view on the Ireland situation.

I know the demographics make it look like a purely religious thing, it's not, it's much more complicated than that. I CGAF about religion and I'm in exactly the same position as Jim, above. The only song about religion I know from "our" side is The Protestant Men...

Exactly.

As for us being a virus on the PL, Y'all are scared that eventually we'd overshadow y'all. Celtic that is, Rangers are no bigger a team or fan base than your bog standard Premier League side.
I'm not ignorant of those factors, even though you naturally will have significantly more immersion in them than myself.

But in terms of football, you Jim especially have just made yourself look stupid. Both clubs are, without wishing to be disrespectful, absolute nothings. That is another major contention for me in gauging their rivalry and the final assessment is frankly embarrassing.
Jim-ie
Exactly.

As for us being a virus on the PL, Y'all are scared that eventually we'd overshadow y'all. Celtic that is, Rangers are no bigger a team or fan base than your bog standard Premier League side.

A lot of the teams in the Prem are parasitic upon it, lapping up the TV money that's paid for the Big 4 et al without contributing anything themselves. Celtic and Rangers wouldn't be guilty of that, which is why it would make commercial sense for both parties. Rangers might not have as large a fanbase, or as great an appeal, as Celtic, but they've certainly got a multi-national appeal that the likes of Bolton would give their left testicle for. The morally righteous EPL fans (missing on this thread, but all too apparent on others, not a straw man) sometimes decry the nature of the Celtic v Rangers rivalry, but Sky have been only too happy to market the match when there's a profit involved- they don't bother with soap boxes.

Hubert Poo
I'm not ignorant of those factors, even though you naturally will have significantly more immersion in them than myself.

But in terms of football, you Jim especially have just made yourself look stupid. Both clubs are, without wishing to be disrespectful, absolute nothings. That is another major contention for me in gauging their rivalry and the final assessment is frankly embarrassing.

I think that should be "Jim only"? As I haven't said anything you seem to consider stupid (yet...). Maybe the other lads have, right enough.

Anyway, first of all, if you're not ignorant of the factors why did you ignore them and focus on the religious aspect? I suppose it's understandable, because it's overplayed and the main stick of choice when Celtic or Rangers are due a beating, but it is a bit lazy and doesn't convey the meaning of the match. The nature of the rivalry as it is may be disagreeable, but misrepresenting it in such a way will certainly make it appear repugnant.

Your second point is fair if by "footballing terms" you mean the quality of teams on the park at the present moment. Both sides are pretty insignificant (although "absolute nothings", as well as being disrespectful, is overstating the matter to a certain degree and is indicative of a superiority complex fans of teams south of the border have. Both teams competed in Europe this year, disastrously of course, but we're still have a standing in European football). That is, however, a moot point. Jim's use of the word "eventually" should have been a hint that he was talking about the future, not the present state of affairs. It's a well worn argument that I'm surprised you haven't heard before: that a team from a small league that has punched above its weight in Europe and outgrown that league due to a large fanbase and world-wide appeal would be well-placed to take advantage of the commercial opportunities a place in the EPL brings, resulting in a growth in revenue and a better team on the park.
Reply 76
Hubert Poo

It was said in jest. I and other Celtic fans more than well aware how **** our club is right now. :rolleyes:

However I would not call them absolute nothings. As Anto said, its disrespectful to two clubs have have more fans than most PL teams put together even today with big histories and who were at one point in Celtics case one of the bigger teams in Europe. Lots of scalps have been collected over the years in European cups including a cup that has still elluded any team from London; no disrespect ofcourse.
It's not disrespectful, it's factual. Support isn't the only qualifier. Nor is being a power three hundred ******* years ago.

They are frankly nobody. It is not a rivalry of note. Full stop.
Hubert Poo
It's not disrespectful, it's factual. Support isn't the only qualifier. Nor is being a power three hundred ******* years ago

You overstated the matter completely with an arrogance I didn't expect from yourself, but fans of the EPL are renowned for.

They are frankly nobody. It is not a rivalry of note. Full stop.

I was wondering why the largest commercial sports broadcaster didn't show the match, and nobody watched it.
Mainly because right at this moment for some very good reasons I can't be arsed with the debate and have gone straight to the conclusion, perhaps arrogantly, yes. Anyway, as I've said a hundred ******* times, I want a stronger SPL than many ******* Scotsmen do ffs. I have no EPL anti-Scottish agenda. Quite the contrary.

Again, a matter of no consequence. It is a rivalry consisting entirely of media pumped ******** and confetti. The footballing rivalry for its own sake would not be worth watching unless you happened to be a particularly depressed Rushden and Diamonds fan.

The quality is diabolical.

Quick Reply

Latest