The Student Room Group

The football rivalries that never were.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hubert Poo
It's not disrespectful, it's factual. Support isn't the only qualifier. Nor is being a power three hundred ******* years ago.

They are frankly nobody. It is not a rivalry of note. Full stop.

Yes, it is mate. The arrogance and ignorance of most EPL fans can be shocking. I doubt you would be saying the same if the shoe was on the other foot either. The Old Firm is one of most notorious rivalries out there, fact. It is known throughout Europe. The quality of football does not bring it down a notch.
Hu, quality has nothing to do with rivalry - sheer hatred is what determines football rivalries, as far as I'm concerned.

This isn't your average Man Utd - Liverpool or Paris - Marseille type derby. We're talking about two sets of fans who not only hate one other because they're the two biggest clubs in the country and therefore are already rivals, but because one set of fans are catholic and the other protestant, one set of fans believe that Ireland should be united and the other that NI should remain a part of the union.

Celtic and Rangers is a war between Ireland and Britain on and off a football pitch. It's without a shadow of a doubt, the most bitter rivalry in the world, no other rivalry comes close, none.
Stalin
but because one set of fans are catholic and the other protestant, one set of fans believe that Ireland should be united and the other that NI should remain a part of the union.

Because one set of fans is predominately Catholic and the other is anti-Catholic, if you're wanting to talk about the religious aspect. If it was straight-up Catholics vs Protestants I'm on the wrong side (although, I wouldn't bother watching it, let alone support one of the sides, if that was the case).
Celtic_Anthony
Because one set of fans is predominately Catholic and the other is anti-Catholic, if you're wanting to talk about the religious aspect. If it was straight-up Catholics vs Protestants I'm on the wrong side (although, I wouldn't bother watching it, let alone support one of the sides, if that was the case).

I was actually thinking about you when I wrote that and I knew someone would say something about it.

John Thompson, Bertie Peacock, Jock Stein, Kenny Dalglish, Danny McGrain, Henrik Larsson and yourself are probably the only protestant fans Celtic really have.

Oh and not so long ago it used to be straight up catholics vs protestants.
Stalin
I was actually thinking about you when I wrote that and I knew someone would say something about it.

John Thompson, Bertie Peacock, Jock Stein, Kenny Dalglish, Danny McGrain, Henrik Larsson and yourself are probably the only protestant fans Celtic really have.

:toofunny: Are you having a laugh?

Right, first of all, Kenny Dalglish started out a Rangers fan and Jock Stein came from a Rangers family but CGAF about bigotry (and thank God for that) so your post is full of fallacies as it is. Add into the fact that in the Lisbon Lions alone there were 5 Protestants and that in a cup final in the 80s (maybe even 1980 SC Final) the Protestants outnumbered the Catholics in the team and we see you're really onto a loser. If we even ignore the allegiances of players (who will naturally support the team they play for) and go for your average Joe, I know of several Protestant Celtic fans that aren't me.

Rangers set themselves up as the team exclusively for Protestants, that doesn't mean they have a monopoly on our support :wink:
Reply 85
Stalin
It's without a shadow of a doubt, the most bitter rivalry in the world, no other rivalry comes close, none.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercl%C3%A1sico
Celtic_Anthony
:toofunny: Are you having a laugh?

Right, first of all, Kenny Dalglish started out a Rangers fan and Jock Stein came from a Rangers family but CGAF about bigotry (and thank God for that) so your post is full of fallacies as it is. Add into the fact that in the Lisbon Lions alone there were 5 Protestants and that in a cup final in the 80s (maybe even 1980 SC Final) the Protestants outnumbered the Catholics in the team and we see you're really onto a loser. If we even ignore the allegiances of players (who will naturally support the team they play for) and go for your average Joe, I know of several Protestant Celtic fans that aren't me.

Rangers set themselves up as the team exclusively for Protestants, that doesn't mean they have a monopoly on our support :wink:

I wasn't about to name every protestant fan Celtic have had over the years, give me a break - an overwhelming majority of Celtic fans are still catholic(or from catholic background) though.
When I become dictator I will force Scotland to become independent. That will stop the squabbling between fans of the EPL v fans of the SPL.

Amusing that Milan - Inter is equated with Real - Barcelona. I'd say the most typifying derby in Italy is Roma v Lazio.

Sometimes the biggest rivalries are of lower quality, such as Red Star Belgrade and Dinamo Zagreb, or River Plate and Boca.

One of the biggest rivalries out there, and certainly up there with the likes of Barcelona - Real, Fenerbahce - Galatasaray, AC - Inter, Lazio - Roma etc, but to say that the derby day in Buenos Aires makes the Old Firm game look like a primary school kick-about, is a load of *****, whoever wrote that has never been to an Old Firm game.
NDGAARONDI
When I become dictator I will force Scotland to become independent. That will stop the squabbling between fans of the EPL v fans of the SPL.

Amusing that Milan - Inter is equated with Real - Barcelona. I'd say the most typifying derby in Italy is Roma v Lazio.

Sometimes the biggest rivalries are of lower quality, such as Red Star Belgrade and Dinamo Zagreb, or River Plate and Boca.

Zagreb and Belgrade are in two different countries though, but I know what you mean.
Stalin
I wasn't about to name every protestant fan Celtic have had over the years, give me a break - an overwhelming majority of Celtic fans are still catholic(or from catholic background) though.
Yes, they are, but not all of them, not by a long shot. Being a Protestant Celtic fan is not contradictory, which is the point I was making.

I'll give you a break if you hit me with some stats.

NDGAARONDI

Yeah, 'cos then we'd have Oil Billionaires who'd invest in our football clubs. McAmbramovich of Celtic has a nice ring to it :woo:

Agreed. People tend to go "Let's look for the two biggest teams from the same city" in this sort of thing, though. Not that Milan- Inter is tame.

Yeah, Fener- Galatassary as well.
I was being sarcastic over the independence thing. :shifty:
Celtic_Anthony
Yes, they are, but not all of them, not by a long shot. Being a Protestant Celtic fan is not contradictory, which is the point I was making.

I'll give you a break if you hit me with some stats.

I never said it was contradictory, you're just a very small minority, that's all.
Stalin
Zagreb and Belgrade are in two different countries though, but I know what you mean.

Which is probably just as well. If them two meet in the UEFA Cup. Oh boy.

They were big rivals before Yugoslavia split up. Great shame that it did.
NDGAARONDI
Which is probably just as well. If them two meet in the UEFA Cup. Oh boy.

They were big rivals before Yugoslavia split up. Great shame that it did.

UEFA would never have it, they'd redo the entire draw if they were paired up against one another.

I wouldn't joke about Yugoslavia.
Stalin
I never said it was contradictory, you're just a very small minority, that's all.

Painting the rivalry as Catholics v Protestants where Celtic are the Catholics would certainly suggest that a Protestant supporting Celtic would be contradictory, even if you didn't say it outright.

PedanticCSC

NDGAARONDI

I was being sarcastic over the independence thing.

I want Oil Billionaires :shifty:
Reply 96
girl_in_keele
I live in Luton, they hate Watford, and vice versa... I don't understand this as we're not even in the same county... And its extreme HATE.

My grandads from Luton. Doesn't even say Watfords name, and turns off the TV if any highlights are shown of them untill it's finished.

As far as West Ham are concerned it's all pretty run of the mill, the 'wall, chelsea, tottenham etc. I guess the most unorthodox one is Sheffield United which is really recent. You wouldn't call it a rivalry but it'll kick off big time when we play them again, they ******* hate us.
Reply 97
Aimee91
The OP was asking about his criteria for rivalries including "Teams who are of a similar quality - if two teams are local but are of vastly different quality, there isn't much sense being rivals"

and asked if any teams didn't fit with these criteria. I used Leeds and Man U as teams that they are (no longer) of similar quality but are still rivals. Think the swearing was a bit ott.

Sorry, I suppose. But I ******* hate Leeds.
As a life long celtic supporter and from a protestant family, I can assure you that there is no doubt,the bigotry mostly comes from the blue side of Glasgow. As one whose family were all brought up in the orange Lodge I have seen it from close quarters.I have been told I am a turncoat ( though I have only ever supported one club), and I'm worse than a Catholic. And this from my own family. I think that just about closes this argument.

Quick Reply

Latest