The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can they - of course.
Will they - probably not this century.
Reply 61
What about the cabinet! Why do we not have black or asian or chinese or whatever ethnic minorities in the cabinet or shadow cabinet....
I reckon it could happen in the next 30-50years. The british don't really vote for prime ministers because of their religions, certainly not as vehemently as americans do. At the moment there's probably too many negative connotations because of terrorism, but that stigma will hopefully die down given time even if the terrorism continues.

Plus as others have said, many muslims would vote for a muslim prime minister for that sole reason. So really all a muslim candidate would have to do is show to the non-muslims they want a change without endangering the 'british way of life' (i.e. a similar thing to what Obama did with races). If the prime minister wanted to pass new religious laws they'd have no hope in hell of winning, but I doubt any of the major parties would put any muslim who was remotely extreme in the running. A middle of the road family man british muslim would have a fairly good chance of winning IMO.
Reply 63
Barak Obama was a muslim and he became the president of the US.

But yeah, now he is "christian" so I know its not the same, but he is Black! Nobody would have thought some years ago that a black person will become a president.
But I'd rather not see that happen also.
Reply 64
Abara
Nobody would have thought some years ago that a black person will become a president.

To be honest, it is not really the same. A person's skin colour is irrelevant; however, their religious beliefs are often relevant.
Reply 65
Well if there was one I would hope that he was swiftly removed. I have no wish to have an even more facist government than we already have.
Prediction

in the next 35 years we will have 1/4 of parliament from ethnic minorities

Reason

Look around you
Yes they can.
Vote for me in 20 yrs time guys :puppyeyes:
Reply 68
Smooth_Criminal
Prediction: in the next 35 years we will have 1/4 of parliament from ethnic minorities

Reason: Look around you

That is hilarious.

Following that logic, 51 per cent of Members of Parliament would be women. Yet, however, less than 20 per cent of Members of Parliament are women.
Reply 69
Asians are too dumb to be PM, kick them out of this country, Barack Obama shot his way to being a President.
adam_zed
pshhh not with some of the attitudes people in Britain have.

You would have people marching on the streets and BNP claiming the "islamification" of britain etc

yeah but the vast majority of people dont vote BNP
perhaps....but he would have to appeal to the majority, and not just the other brownies in the countryi
At the present time it's unlikely. It's actually quite annoying because they have as much of a right as anybody to become prime minister. At the moment however it seems that just white, posh, privately educated boys can become PM possibly because of a combination of the remnants of the class system still being in place, the lack of a good political role-model and disparity in educational quality of the majority of young white kids and young non-white kids. That's why I like America: say what you like about them but because they're a classless society they've managed to get a black guy in the white house and have many non-white politicians in positions of power which in itself motivates kids and shows them anything is possible.
No I highly doubt it, based on the attitudes of British folks, but you can't really give a definite answer, because who could have predicted that America would ever have an African American president?
A British Muslim? No

a British Asian? Yes - Krishan from Too Poor for Posh School is going to become PM. Fact.
Reply 75
IceDiveFresh
Yes they could provided they had the right qualities and were fronting a party supporting the policies that best appease the people of the country, doubt it will happen for a good while though.

This.
Blu3j4yw4y
:lolwut: His mother was American, his father was African. Sure, he isn't really black in a sense, but I doubt you could get closer to "African American."

"Working your way out the ghetto" is nothing to do with it :p: That's if you wanna get stereotypical. Its like saying people from Alabama aren't southerners unless they're racist and own ten guns.

Obama is African American if you define African American as half American half african

but most African immigrants to America are highly skilled and are not exposed to the same sort of life style proper African American , 'black people families who have been in america for 100 years +' are exposed to

There are many Middle Class Blacks in America but they can all trace thier roots to the Ghetto in one of americas major cities and still connected link with where they came from

Obamas wife is 'African American' but Obama himself is not
Reply 77
Guwt
To be honest, it is not really the same. A person's skin colour is irrelevant; however, their religious beliefs are often relevant.

ok, lets look it that way

who would have guessed that a black slave will become the president?
And no, im not being racist, all im saying is that everything changes with time
If the PC brigade get there way i'm sure we will, no matter how much of a retard he is.
Thomassss
Obama is African American if you define African American as half American half african

but most African immigrants to America are highly skilled and are not exposed to the same sort of life style proper African American , 'black people families who have been in america for 100 years +' are exposed to

There are many Middle Class Blacks in America but they can all trace thier roots to the Ghetto in one of americas major cities and still connected link with where they came from

Obamas wife is 'African American' but Obama himself is not

Stop posting erroneous statements about African Americans/Obama. :yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending