The Student Room Group

Leicester, Kent or Surrey? Please help me decide

Hiya,

I've had offers from Leicester, Kent and Surrey all of ABB and i have not a clue which one to choose. I've visited all of them and each seems to have it's own separate merits, Leicester looks great from the student life and money side of things, the course at Kent is probably better (although whether better taught i don't know) it lets me do a year in industry but so does Surrey but I'm not so sure about the course at Surrey.

Basically I'm at a loss of how to decide, I was under the impression that Leicester had the best reputation but their department didn't really seem to try too hard to sell themselves and so gave the impression of not really caring. I know Surrey try very hard to get their graduates jobs and Kent try almost as hard.

So did I just catch Leicester on a bad day? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way my Insurance is going to be Hull.
Thanks
Tacoman
Hiya,

I've had offers from Leicester, Kent and Surrey all of ABB and i have not a clue which one to choose. I've visited all of them and each seems to have it's own separate merits, Leicester looks great from the student life and money side of things, the course at Kent is probably better (although whether better taught i don't know) it lets me do a year in industry but so does Surrey but I'm not so sure about the course at Surrey.

Basically I'm at a loss of how to decide, I was under the impression that Leicester had the best reputation but their department didn't really seem to try too hard to sell themselves and so gave the impression of not really caring. I know Surrey try very hard to get their graduates jobs and Kent try almost as hard.

So did I just catch Leicester on a bad day? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way my Insurance is going to be Hull.
Thanks

Which campus is it taught at at the Kent uni? i live here, so i can give you info on the town etc at both campus' lol.
you seem to like that one best for the course more and as far as i know Kent has a good reputation in general. Have a look at student reviews on the internet, they have helped me pick my ones alot as they are an honest view of the university and town :smile:
Reply 2
You seem to have ruled out Surrey; you prefer the course at Kent and rep and student life at Leicester.

I would pick Leicester because it has a better reputation both overall and for economics and the city is also great, nightlife and friendly. I wouldn't let the one open day put you off; maybe they just wanted it to be relaxed and friendly; if they were lazy then why would they be ranked so highly.
Reply 3
i'm 99% sure im firming to do BA at leicester :smile: the student life looks amazing, and the entry grades are going up every year (one speaker got in with BBC 4 years ago through clearing...!), good accomodation and their economics degrees must be great because their student satisfaction is 2nd in the country! (behind oxford...! i thiink :s-smilie:) hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
well if your offer from Leicester is for BA economics, you should firm either Kent or Surrey as i assume those offers are for BSC course, because BSC economics is far more respectable than BA economics due to the quantitve element of the degree, yet that also depends on your future career path. So unless your offer from Leicester is for BSC economics you dont want to firm them. I have surrey as my insurance, and they did impress me on the open day, and im most likley goin to firm Royal holloway, and decline an offer from southampton for economics and mangement sciences. At the end of the day it all comes down to what you feel. You can PM me to talk about surrey if you want as i have an offer from that same course. hope i helped
Reply 5
Well I think I've ruled out Surrey as orca could tell (too close to home) but I've talked to my teachers n stuff about it and it has come down to Kent and Leicester. All the courses I've applied to are Bsc (wouldn't wana let that A-level maths go to waste aftr all). I think i might be coming down on the side of Leicester on the course content with the more mathematical approach they're taking. The trouble is that even though the university as a whole is probably the most reputable of them the departmental statistics don't match when you look at the unistats website. Also if we go by the league tables (which we do if we go by reputation) again they beat the others as a whole but when ranked by economics department they come 20th but surrey and kent are joint 16th.

I can't seem to find any reviews written by people currently studying the course or of the courses at all, it would be nice to see what the students who aren't getting 1st's in their degrees think.

Thanks for your replies by the way :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending