The Student Room Group
Reply 1
anyone?
For OCR B, there's not too much at all; some extremely basic logarithms (having to press the relevant key on your calculator is about the extent of it) and some formulas are about it.
Reply 3
I'm a few weeks away from the end of the AS OCR Physics B course, and I can't say I can remember any point where the maths was anything other than simple. AS physics seems to be understanding definitions and applying formulae - things like the wave equation etc. that are used a lot are just re-arrangement and multiplication/division. Occasionally you have to rearrange a formula and substitute it into another one; that's about it.

The one exception is logarithms, which we were taught in half a lesson at the beginning of the course and have yet to give anyone any problems. There is also some overlap with maths/mechanics and physics in the later modules, but there's no reason you can't this physics course at AS without taking maths.
M1 and some bits of M2 were in our PHY1 Edexcel exam. Some basic logarithms and graphs in other parts, but that's to be expected.

Get ahead on M1 and read a bit of M2 (especially projectiles) and you should be more than fine.

Of course, the syllabus has completely changed since 2008/2009 when I did my A Levels, so I'm probably giving completely false information here.
Reply 5
As long as you can rearrange formulas and take logarithms, you should be fine. An A or A* at GCSE Maths would be sufficient as long as your algebra was good and you can pick up the logarithms when they appear. Also units (so 1/(s^2) = s^-2).

If you're given speed = distance/time (v=s/t), you should be able to get it in s or t as the subject with no trouble. If you have a problem, then Physics isn't for you.
Reply 6
For OCR B, there's pretty much no maths at A2 too. There were a couple of people in my class who didn't do maths at A-level, and they both coped fine.
Not prevalent enough. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Let's put it this way, if you don't take maths to A-level you will struggle. However, they've made it easier by removing some of the maths notation when deriving formulae, which I think is silly.
Reply 9
Even in A2 theres next to none, no calculus just rearranging formulae and a bit of very basic exponential work (given to you in the formulae book i believe)
If you can do some maths then you'll be fine. Simple graph stuff and rearranging formulae mainly.
Reply 11
Sk1lLz
Let's put it this way, if you don't take maths to A-level you will struggle.

Which board? You really don't need A-level maths for OCR B.
Reply 12
Pretty much what everyone else has said regarding rearranging formulae.
Also As long as you and graw a graph and do simple things like work out the area underneath or the gradient it's all good :yy:
AS physics you'll be okay with GCSE maths, the math's you'll do will mainly be rearranging formulae, y=mx+c and using general formulae

A2 physics, maths would be very useful (AS maths would be useful) as you'll be doing stuff on logarithms and trigonometry etc.

There are loads of people in my class who don't take maths and do alright at A2, but generally you will find the course a lot easier if you take maths
Reply 14
Smeh

Also As long as you and graw a graph and do simple things like work out the area underneath or the gradient it's all good :yy:

Yeah, this too.

It isn't required at all, but if you've seen differentiation or integration it gives you a better understanding of some of the concepts. For example, you may know velocity as 'the slope of the displacement-time graph' but it's better to think of it as the instantaneous rate of change of displacement with respect to time. This is why AS Maths is usually recommended but not required.
Reply 15
BJack
Which board? You really don't need A-level maths for OCR B.

AQA A.
Reply 16
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24325472 Biology enzymes empa written paper and task 2

Latest