The Student Room Group

Post pictures of your dorm room!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LovePeaceAwesome
To those that live in self catered dorms, you have to share a kitchen with other people, right?
So what about if you buy food and put it in the kitchen fridge or something and someone else takes it?

Sadly, this happens pretty much everywhere. I've been quite lucky this year, all people seem to have taken are a couple of fish fingers and a few eggs, which was annoying but it wasn't the end of the world! All you can do is write your name on everything you keep in the fridge/freezer so people may be less likely to steal it.

I deliberately avoided putting food in the kitchen because i knew this would happen. there's one guy in particular who moved in and never used his own pans and plates who was very selfish when he cooked. We just ignore him now, but i'm very glad i keep all my cooking stuff in my room... :cool:
Original post by Nesselphie
Sadly, this happens pretty much everywhere. I've been quite lucky this year, all people seem to have taken are a couple of fish fingers and a few eggs, which was annoying but it wasn't the end of the world! All you can do is write your name on everything you keep in the fridge/freezer so people may be less likely to steal it.

I deliberately avoided putting food in the kitchen because i knew this would happen. there's one guy in particular who moved in and never used his own pans and plates who was very selfish when he cooked. We just ignore him now, but i'm very glad i keep all my cooking stuff in my room... :cool:

I might buy myself some big plastic storage boxes and do just that!
Original post by Jiyeon
Brampton Road Halls of Residence (ensuite) University of Cumbria:

It's not bad, it's not amazing either but the bathroom is quite a bit larger than I expected :smile: If you go for ensuite you get a REALLY small kitchen and no communal area. My flatmates and I bought two cheap rugs and cushions and we just sit in the hall so it's okay for us.

I should be moving into these halls in september '12. is it worth going for en-suite or standard? :smile:
Original post by Torrchy
You make the person realize what they did was wrong. Don't be afraid, some people just don't know what's socially acceptable.

Original post by Nesselphie

I'm not at uni, but I just wondered lol :biggrin: Coz I would imagine it'd be really annoying if people done that!
Reply 2764
Original post by LovePeaceAwesome
I'm not at uni, but I just wondered lol :biggrin: Coz I would imagine it'd be really annoying if people done that!

You grass the culprit up for damage you saw them commit and get them a £200 fine. Revenge is sweet!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Jiyeon
Brampton Road Halls of Residence (ensuite) University of Cumbria:
[

Dayumm

That's probably the best ensuite I have seen overall for any University Dorm and that's saying something. The fact there's actually a shower door is incredible, wow.
Reply 2766
I'm going to stay at Elphinstone Road Flats (University of Aberdeen) next year and if I just get a decent camera, I'll post pictures of my room and the flat then. :smile:
I've just been shopping for some bits and bobs for uni and it's really sinking in now! :biggrin: can't wait!
Reply 2768
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
BCU City South, Calthorpe.

...thats 1990's era Army issue furniture, no joke, my brothers and i used to have many a fun time jumping over it playing the floor is lava ..robust stuff, but the key for the chest of drawers always ends up lost. :biggrin:
Original post by cid
...thats 1990's era Army issue furniture, no joke, my brothers and i used to have many a fun time jumping over it playing the floor is lava ..robust stuff, but the key for the chest of drawers always ends up lost. :biggrin:

Chest of drawers doesn't actually lock. :frown: But yeah, most of the stuff in these halls looks like it's been salvaged from a skip. Lots of space, though!
I haven't even applied to university yet but I'm excited to post pictures in here next September :colonhash:
Reply 2771
Room 1.jpg
Room 2.jpg
Room 3.jpg
Kirkstall Brewery En-suite room :smile:
Original post by seventwoseven
I've just been shopping for some bits and bobs for uni and it's really sinking in now! :biggrin: can't wait!

This basically.

I've been really thrifty too! I got all my plates, bowls, mugs and sideplates in a 16 piece set for a tenner from poundstretcher! They actually look really nice and they've got multicoloured stripes on them so I'll know they're mine (following the advice from people on here).. Then I went to argos and got my multicoloured cutlery for £2.99 and the colours actually match by some lovely accidental coincidence :smile:...

I started to worry about myself a little when I got excited about a tin opener though..

I think all I've really got left to buy now is my bed linen, decoration stuff, a few bits and bobs clothes wise, a bathroom bin, a mirror, saucepan, frying pan, a big sharp knife, a dictaphone, computer speakers, a pink cocktail mixer I've seen :biggrin: maybe 1 or 2 other things..
Original post by littleone271
This basically.

I've been really thrifty too! I got all my plates, bowls, mugs and sideplates in a 16 piece set for a tenner from poundstretcher! They actually look really nice and they've got multicoloured stripes on them so I'll know they're mine (following the advice from people on here).. Then I went to argos and got my multicoloured cutlery for £2.99 and the colours actually match by some lovely accidental coincidence :smile:...

I started to worry about myself a little when I got excited about a tin opener though..

I think all I've really got left to buy now is my bed linen, decoration stuff, a few bits and bobs clothes wise, a bathroom bin, a mirror, saucepan, frying pan, a big sharp knife, a dictaphone, computer speakers, a pink cocktail mixer I've seen :biggrin: maybe 1 or 2 other things..

It was my son's 18th last week so we got the extended family to buy Uni stuff for him. He now has all his kitchen stuff apart from a tin opener and a corkscrew and all his bedding / towels :smile: The various aunties and grannies went to Ikea for the day and apparently had a great time. Beats random well intentioned junk from ageing aunties! Did up a list from the freshers list on TSR and gave it to his grandmother to pass around the family. Saves me a small fortune as well :wink: Also means that it's all boxed up and organised in the attic which should save on the last minute 'oops can't find it' syndrome.
Original post by KittyKattyKaity
It was my son's 18th last week so we got the extended family to buy Uni stuff for him. He now has all his kitchen stuff apart from a tin opener and a corkscrew and all his bedding / towels :smile: The various aunties and grannies went to Ikea for the day and apparently had a great time. Beats random well intentioned junk from ageing aunties! Did up a list from the freshers list on TSR and gave it to his grandmother to pass around the family. Saves me a small fortune as well :wink: Also means that it's all boxed up and organised in the attic which should save on the last minute 'oops can't find it' syndrome.

What a great idea! Yet another reason why it's crap to be a January baby lol for my 19th Birthday in January (I'm a year late going to uni because I messed up my AS's, left and went to college) I was given a student survival guide and a book of uni pranks from my Dad and his girlfriend and it was like 'no pressure or anything..' lol. I've only just started feeling like I can get excited about it all now that I've finished my course and I know my results. I'd hate to be waiting for A-level results! Far too much uncertainty for me!

Apparently it's a good idea to take a doorstop or something you can put in front of the bedroom door (bearing in mind they're normally fire doors in halls) so that you can be more social. I guess I could probably just put a chair or something there but I'm on the look out for a nice heavy doorstop.

So far I've got: a clothes rail, plates, bowls, mugs, cutlery, glasses, utensils, duvet, pillows, plastic containers, colander, sieve, mixing bowl, tin opener, potato peeler, corkscrew/bottle opener, muffin tray, baking tray, a cake tin, microwave bacon tray (they sell them in poundstretcher and I definitely recommend them), microwave egg poacher, toastie bags, cheese grater box, a bin, ice trays, tea towels, chopping board, towels, lamp and matching photo frame, a pop-up laundry thing and 1 or 2 other bits and bobs. It's ridiculous how much stuff we need! I haven't spent a lot of money on any one thing though, it's all either been from pound stretcher or in the sale at bhs or something.. My mum wanted to go to Ikea but it's quite far from where we live and we ended up just buying bargains when we saw them and gradually building it up.
Reply 2775
Apparently it's a good idea to take a doorstop or something you can put in front of the bedroom door (bearing in mind they're normally fire doors in halls) so that you can be more social. I guess I could probably just put a chair or something there but I'm on the look out for a nice heavy doorstop.

You can usually open the door wide and fit a deodorant can between the door and the frame, keeps it wide open, free and means you won't break your toes in the night if you forget about it in the dark :tongue:
Original post by Reformed2010
HAPPY NOW?! :rolleyes:

uniroom2.jpg
uniroom3.jpg

haha valentino rossi fan !!
All I have so far is pillows!
However my local Poundstretcher has a 16 piece dining set for £7 and it's ORANGE so I shall be getting that soon :biggrin:
Reply 2778
]It's ridiculous how much stuff we need!

Be thankful you're not going to Durham in the 19th century, you needed to bring your own furniture (I think) as well as your own servant (which was advised) xD
(edited 11 years ago)
has not one mother****er at LSE posted hall pictures?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending