The Student Room Group

Post pictures of your dorm room!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jojospacemunky
The only thing you share in Student Halls of Residence in the UK is the lounge/kitchen area (hence the term communal) with those who have there 'own' rooms within the 'flat' you all share.
The same is also regarding shared house accommodation only adding to the bathroom facilities being shared alongside the lounge and kitchen areas.

No-one in the UK shares a room though with anyone.

Thats not quite true, it is uncommon to share in the UK but it does happen. I have a few friends that have shared, it seems to be more common in London unis, maybe due to a lack of accommodation available and how expensive London is.
Also lots of other unis ask clearing students to share for perhaps a month until they can find you somewhere better.
Original post by llessur123
Are none of these rooms shared? They all look too consistent haha, I thought loads of people shared.

I'll be sharing a room at my university with either 1 or 2 people. At Imperial College most students share a bedroom in halls. It's a great way of getting cheap accommodation in London :smile:.

Some colleges in Durham include shared rooms.
Reply 1783
Park Village - Sussex Uni

Got a bit more colourful, this is only a few days after I moved in.
The only thing you share in Student Halls of Residence in the UK is the lounge/kitchen area (hence the term communal) with those who have there 'own' rooms within the 'flat' you all share.
The same is also regarding shared house accommodation only adding to the bathroom facilities being shared alongside the lounge and kitchen areas.

The University of Leicester's Oadby student village offers some shared rooms.

At university college falmouth they do! They have bunk beds and all hahaha

http://www.tremoughservices.com/article.asp?id=644
Queen Mary, University of London, anyone? : ))))
Original post by reoffender
Queen Mary, University of London, anyone? : ))))

Just got my accomodation offer for Ifor Evans at QM, so I second that :smile: I know there has been a couple earlier in the thread, but some more would be nice :smile:
Anybody got pictures of Kent Uni dorms?
Castle mill oxford?
I've never actually been to UEA and am curious to know what the rooms look like. When posting a picture, can you mention the campus you are a please.

Also, can you also post a picture of your kitchen as well.

Reply 1791
Original post by mrdoovde1
:smile:

Constable Terrace, which is en-suite and has one of the biggest bedrooms. There was 10 people sharing a kitchen ( 1 cupboard and about half a shelf in the fridge and freezer each - if you wanted to be fair)

the view:

bedroom:

The room is probably about another 1-1.5 m across, and the desk takes up all the end wall ( with more than enough shelving. The en-suite is behind me in that photo, along with the wardrobe

kitchen:

If you have any ore questions/requests just fire away and I'll see what i can do
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Awh, I like this thread.
I've already started mentally decorating my room. :colondollar:

Original post by conniebee
I think decorating my room is what I'm looking forward to most about Uni at the moment.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this way. :wink: Have been trawling through all 90 pages over the last few days..

I really hope I get in now!

A couple of random questions:

1) To people who had mini fridges in their rooms - Are you officially allowed them? Was there space? Was it useful?

2) Do most rooms come with a little wastebasket/bin or do you have to buy one if you want one?

3) Do most people take printers? Can you use a printer with a netbook without wifi? I have a netbook which is pretty lacking in ports and I would have no idea how to attach it to a printer via cable, or indeed where to find such a cable..

4) Did you buy things for your room when you got to uni or did you buy it and take it there? I kinda want to get it now (well, post-results-day, but pre-uni) so I can make it cosy as soon as I get there, but (if I get in) I'd be going from London to Scotland so it might be difficult to take too much.

5) Did you take your stuff in suitcases or boxes? Where do you store suitcases/boxes, - is there space under most of the beds?

Also, any pictures of Glasgow (Student Apartments, Cairncross or Murano Street Small) or Edinburgh (New Arthur Place, Robertson's Close, or Darroch Court) would be much appreciated!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ScarletBeads

1) To people who had mini fridges in their rooms - Are you officially allowed them? Was there space? Was it useful?

Each uni is different in their rules on mini fridges. We have one in our house which we use as a table in the living room... It's not on though.

2) Do most rooms come with a little wastebasket/bin or do you have to buy one if you want one?

I'd imagine every room comes with one. You could always ring up to find out.

3) Do most people take printers? Can you use a printer with a netbook without wifi? I have a netbook which is pretty lacking in ports and I would have no idea how to attach it to a printer via cable, or indeed where to find such a cable..

I took a printer. Why would it need wifi? It's yours :s-smilie:
You can buy wires from any good (or bad) computer supply store.

4) Did you buy things for your room when you got to uni or did you buy it and take it there? I kinda want to get it now (well, post-results-day, but pre-uni) so I can make it cosy as soon as I get there, but (if I get in) I'd be going from London to Scotland so it might be difficult to take too much.

Kitchen stuff. Stationary. Bedding. Anything you feel you may need really.

5) Did you take your stuff in suitcases or boxes? Where do you store suitcases/boxes, - is there space under most of the beds?

I used bags for life. They are strong and you can use them for your food too! They flatten so I kept them under my bed.
Original post by ScarletBeads
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this way. :wink: Have been trawling through all 90 pages over the last few days..

I really hope I get in now!

A couple of random questions:

Also, any pictures of Glasgow (Student Apartments, Cairncross or Murano Street Small) or Edinburgh (New Arthur Place, Robertson's Close, or Darroch Court) would be much appreciated!

Hi, I think a lot of those questions really depend on which uni you go to as every one has diff rules. Not sure on mini fridges, as far as I'm aware most unis let you take one, but maybe you'd wanna check that out before you take one up there! Prob would be useful to have as it means you'll have extra fridge space and your food won't go missing! Regarding space, again in just depends on the size on your room, my uni room is pretty small and I certainly would not be able to fit a mini fridge in it! Lol.

Yeah most unis provide bins in the rooms, but that's another thing you may wanna check out beforehand.

I'm taking a printer because it was on offer 1/2 price and plus I know I'll be printing off a lot of essays and what not for my course. Not sure on the whole netbook thing, don't have one myself. But I'm sure without wifi you should be able to print off stuff - if you get a printer it'll come with the appropriate wires. And if you decide not to get one then as long as you transfer your work onto a usb stick then you can just use the uni comps/printers to print off your work. Maybe ask your folks or your friends to help you out connecting the wires and whatnot from your printer to your netbook if you do decide to get a printer.

I've bought everything I could possibly need/think of for my room and kitchen. I decided I'd rather have everything now and make my uni room look nice and cosy from day one. I'm taking everything up in boxes, and maybe some clothes in a big suitcase. My folks are helping me take everything to my uni accommodation so when they leave they'll take all the boxes and my suitcases back home with them. Having space under your bed again depends on what type of bed the uni provides. The uni I'm going to provides beds that are quite low down that have literally no space to put anything under but who's not to say that where you'll be going there'll be space under your bed, just don't rely on the space is all I'm saying lol just incase like me you'll have no space!

Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Killing time waiting for results by making an owl cushion, seeing as I can't afford to buy one :smile: It's going well, although my back hurts and I have pricked myself with the needle a ridiculous amount of times...
Original post by QueenOfHearts93
Killing time waiting for results by making an owl cushion, seeing as I can't afford to buy one :smile: It's going well, although my back hurts and I have pricked myself with the needle a ridiculous amount of times...

Yours will be absolutely unique :wink:
Reply 1797

This is Nelson Court at UEA, with the huge rooms! It's the same layout as Constable, just on the other side of campus. Also, you all want to pray you don't have a fresher's week as wet and miserable as last year was :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rachel08
Yours will be absolutely unique :wink:

That makes me smile :smile: Doesn't cost a penny, and is one of a kind :smile:
Reply 1799
Original post by Magic Dust

It would look awesome in your room! :biggrin:

:sexface:

Best Harry Potter pickup line I've ever come across.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending