The Student Room Group

Course choice columns disaster!

Right, at the moment i am doing Higher Maths, History, French, English Biology, and with a good enough work ethic i should be able to get around AABBB respectively.:cool: I want to do Law & Accountancy at Edinburgh, and i know that Law there is very competitive, so i wanted to do Adv Applied Maths, Adv History, Higher Accounts and crash Intermediate/Higher Spanish.

However, the <insert insult here> who devised the columns decided to put History, Accounts and Spanish all in the same column! :eek: This leaves me with not only me having to choose 1 of the 3, but having to take 2 subjects i don't want to take! :mad:

Spanish is the only subject i was really looking forward to taking + it's another language, History would be very useful for essay skills etc, and Accounts would obviously be useful for the uni course. :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated, as i'm confused.com.
matthew93
Right, at the moment i am doing Higher Maths, History, French, English Biology, and with a good enough work ethic i should be able to get around AABBB respectively.:cool: I want to do Law & Accountancy at Edinburgh, and i know that Law there is very competitive, so i wanted to do Adv Applied Maths, Adv History, Higher Accounts and crash Intermediate/Higher Spanish.

However, the <insert insult here> who devised the columns decided to put History, Accounts and Spanish all in the same column! :eek: This leaves me with not only me having to choose 1 of the 3, but having to take 2 subjects i don't want to take! :mad:

Spanish is the only subject i was really looking forward to taking + it's another language, History would be very useful for essay skills etc, and Accounts would obviously be useful for the uni course. :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated, as i'm confused.com.

You can do adv history on your own i.e teachers give resources and you all meet up a few times a year for more lecture type teaching. A few people in my school did it this year. This leaves you with accounting or spanish. I would do accounting, with my cynical hat on I would say that you will already get 'points' for a language with the higher french.
Reply 2
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
You can do adv history on your own i.e teachers give resources and you all meet up a few times a year for more lecture type teaching. A few people in my school did it this year. This leaves you with accounting or spanish. I would do accounting, with my cynical hat on I would say that you will already get 'points' for a language with the higher french.

I never thought of that, do you know how people are coping doing Advanced History in free periods? :smile:
Yeah i know that taking Accounting would make more sense, as i should be able to get a B in French which would get some language brownie points :p:
matthew93
I never thought of that, do you know how people are coping doing Advanced History in free periods? :smile:
Yeah i know that taking Accounting would make more sense, as i should be able to get a B in French which would get some language brownie points :p:

I think that they are doing ok, but it is a lot of work. Most people do it at home rather than frees
Reply 4
get your parents to phone up and complain to the school. threaten to move schools etc. this sometimes helps. a girl wanted to do AH french at my school but wasnt allowed then her parents phoned and now shes allowed to teach herself it i think
Can you ask Edinburgh what they think? Although Edinburgh accept Accounts, I'm not sure it's necessary - first year Accountancy assumes you know nothing and starts from the beginning anyway. In which case History (for the law essay aspect) or Spanish (personal interest) might be better choices.

Latest

Trending

Trending