The Student Room Group

i'm in year 12 with no idea what i want for uni.

work experience is coming in July and i need to secure a placement, im just scared because i dont know what i want to do. theres a few things i'm interested in slightly, but idk if my work experience needs to directly link to my uni course

im interested in bio/genetics/anatomy, as well as architecture, even geography a lil bit, and allied health careers like dietetics, speech and language therapy, prosthetics, orthoptics, ostheopathy, and paramedic science.

some of these courses are limited to me since i took maths and psychology and economics for my A Levels but i dont have an interest in the financial/number side of things. i dont want to be a psychologist either but the jobs following psychology are very limited. ik i was brainded choosing the subjects lol i didnt think it through too well.

so help. ive tried like every career quiz on earth but im receiving no conclusions. what do i do im so stuck---i dont want to pick a uni course that i'm going to regret in the future
For most Uni degrees - ie, Geography, Biosciences etc - you dont need relevant work experience because its an academic course.
Whatou will need is relevant reading etc beyond the A level syllabus that you can discuss in your Personal Statement.

If you want to do a healthcare course like Nursing, Paramedic etc you will need a great deal more than just one week of work experience to present a convincing application - you will be up against adults already working in the NHS / other care roles. If you want to do this sort of course, a gap year with a job in a Care Home or similar etc is the best way forward.

If you dont have any real idea of what degree you want to do, then get any work-experience that involves deadling with people.
This will just help your self-confidence, and give you 'talking to new people' experience which is invaluable for any future job and/or going to Uni.

How to Choose a Uni Subject - https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/choosing-a-course/i-want-to-go-to-uni-but-i-dont-know-what-to-study
NHS role / careers - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/explore-roles
honestly choosing a degree subject isn’t as stressful and as end of life decision as you would think ahah. firstly, if you don’t enjoy your degree many unis let you swap courses in the first year, as long as they believe you will cope with it.

secondly, unless you want to go into a specific career with a specific degree (eg. medicine) just pick a subject you enjoy, many degrees are multi-faceted and can be applied to many areas of work, and often places look for a degree in anything, as long as you do well.
Original post by t0es
work experience is coming in July and i need to secure a placement, im just scared because i dont know what i want to do. theres a few things i'm interested in slightly, but idk if my work experience needs to directly link to my uni course

im interested in bio/genetics/anatomy, as well as architecture, even geography a lil bit, and allied health careers like dietetics, speech and language therapy, prosthetics, orthoptics, ostheopathy, and paramedic science.

some of these courses are limited to me since i took maths and psychology and economics for my A Levels but i dont have an interest in the financial/number side of things. i dont want to be a psychologist either but the jobs following psychology are very limited. ik i was brainded choosing the subjects lol i didnt think it through too well.

so help. ive tried like every career quiz on earth but im receiving no conclusions. what do i do im so stuck---i dont want to pick a uni course that i'm going to regret in the future

Making career choices are complex decisions as you are facing. You need to evaluate each otption on three things
1 Passion- Not liking slightly, passion- something that gets you so involved that you lose track of time
2 Inherent capability- Things those come to you naturally
3 Value - What do you value in life

Take a sheet of paper and put down the options in rows and these three in columns and then take one of the columns and rank the various options starting with the best. once done with one column, move to next and so on. Then see which is the caeer option that gives you best score
Take a look attached file and see if that helps. Feel free to reach out if i could do anything further to help. :-)
Original post by t0es

With regards to architecture, you haven't taken a creative A level subject so are you creative? Do you draw in your free time, did you take art, dt or similar at GCSE? Roughly 50% of modules for an architecture degree are design and you would need to submit a creative portfolio as part of the application process. Architecture is also a big commitment as it takes a minimum of seven years to qualify. This is a good starting point for your research:

https://arb.org.uk/student-information/student-handbook/

Also, for a lot of the health careers you have listed the degree entry requirements will often require biology and/or another science. Would you consider repeating year 12, but this time taking the A levels that will lead to careers that you are genuinely interested in?
Original post by t0es

Hi there!

I'm a final year Orthoptics student at the Uni of Sheffield. I know it can be really tough choosing what you want to do at University, my best advice would be to choose something you enjoy as I believe its harder to regret a choice if you chose something you like rather than for other reasons! I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have about Orthoptics so feel free to ask :smile: I have linked here to some more information on Orthoptics at Sheffield which might be useful for you.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask anything!

Alisha
Year 3
BMedSci Orthoptics
Reply 6
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi there!

I'm a final year Orthoptics student at the Uni of Sheffield. I know it can be really tough choosing what you want to do at University, my best advice would be to choose something you enjoy as I believe its harder to regret a choice if you chose something you like rather than for other reasons! I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have about Orthoptics so feel free to ask :smile: I have linked here to some more information on Orthoptics at Sheffield which might be useful for you.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask anything!

Alisha
Year 3
BMedSci Orthoptics

Hello, what band are orthoptics? And what do they do in their profession?

Quick Reply

Latest