The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Vybz Kartel
i see it as God gives you life & God takes life, therefore its up to God when you leave the world, not something you should take into your own hands & take the gift that God gave you. But thats just me :smile:

But if God controls everything, then it is in his "design" for those people to take their own lives.
i dno if somebody else has said this, but surely its more selfish for people to expect someone who's suffering, to continue suffering, especially if they have mental illness or something.
it's their life, their death might h ave an impact on other people, yet theyll only be a slight part of other people's lives, whereas youd rather determine someone's whole life?
Reply 82
You can call suicide selfish as much as you like, but the state of someone's mental health who is comtemplating it really can't be held liable. I don't think it's the cowards way out, and anyone who calls it such has never had to deal with it in real life.
Reply 83
Blátönn
What if the person had no family? Would you still consider it selfish? Would you still consider it immoral if there was no familial/friendship ties?

Yeah, but most of the time someone finds the body or witnesses it, and that's really not fair, so yeah it's selfish.

Just so you know, a relative tried to commit suicide.
OceanInTheSky
But if God controls everything, then it is in his "design" for those people to take their own lives.

I don't believe God controls everything per say, i said he gives life, i believe you are presented with decisions on a daily basis which shape the outcome of your life. So people who take their own lives are a result of the decisions they've made, not Gods "design", but that's just my opinion.
Reply 85
Anna_The_Giant_Banana
i dno if somebody else has said this, but surely its more selfish for people to expect someone who's suffering, to continue suffering, especially if they have mental illness or something.
it's their life, their death might h ave an impact on other people, yet theyll only be a slight part of

eone to live through hell

I disagree with this, I have OCD and at times it has been so severe I just haven't wanted to live anymore, infact I did try a couple of times to end it all. Mental illness is suffering on such a high level, yet it can be helped in so many ways. Now, looking back I can't believe that if I had of succeeded I wouldn't be here today, there are so many things I would have missed out on and there's so much to live for. Not even taking into account the effect my death would have had on my family, I'm so, so grateful that I am here today and can look forward to a tomorrow.
Reply 86
The Referee
I'd be surprised if anyone would brand someone like you Uncle as selfish...he's clearly ill and manic depression is a nightmare condition for everyone concerned.

Clinical depression is another matter entirely...these people are normally well aware that something isn't right (having had depression myself and fought my way out of it with a good deal of help, I'm only too aware of just how bad it can be). A lot of depressed people can't face getting the help they need so they end it...that's cowardice! People with high debts or similar who end it are just being selfish - they leave their problems for their family to cope with.

Hmm good point about people with money issues. But I too suffer from depression, I'm only 16 so it took me four years to tell anyone and ask for help, I just assumed it was what everyone calls 'teenage hormones'. I went to the doctor at christmas and she diagnosed me with serious depression. I attempted suicide twice aged 14. It's something I'm highly ashamed of but if anyone called me selfish and a coward because of it they'd definitely hit a nerve. I'd like to say I'd never dream of it again, but I'm just coming out of a pretty bad bout of depression and only weeks ago I was considering trying again. When I'm down, I genuinely wouldn't ever feel that by killing myself I'd be putting anything onto my family at all, I'd feel like they wouldn't care or be affected by it, I know that sounds absurd but it's true. Now I'm feeling better things in my mind are clearer and I realize that's untrue, and the thought that I even considered suicide scares the **** out of me. The only thing stopping me a couple of months ago was the possibility of it putting shame on my family, if I'd found a way without people knowing it was suicide, I would have probably done it. I dunno, it's such a complicated matter, I just don't feel anyone should be branded selfish or a coward without someone knowing the full details. I agree with you in situations involving debts etc, but even then no one would know the full story.
Reply 87
I think it is the easy way out. But not necessarily because they are cowards. I think it depends on how much you value yourself/life/other people. I do think it should be allowed though because it is your life and you should get to choose what you do with it. This might sound stuck up but I myself wouldnt be able to commit suicide as I like myself too much. So even if I thought about it or felt really bad, no. I think it is a shame that not everyone values their life enough to not commit suicide.
MovingOn
I disagree with this, I have OCD and at times it has been so severe I just haven't wanted to live anymore, infact I did try a couple of times to end it all. Mental illness is suffering on such a high level, yet it can be helped in so many ways. Now, looking back I can't believe that if I had of succeeded I wouldn't be here today, there are so many things I would have missed out on and there's so much to live for. Not even taking into account the effect my death would have had on my family, I'm so, so grateful that I am here today and can look forward to a tomorrow.

And if none of those ways work?
Deronda
I think it is the easy way out.

Is euthanasia for cancer or alzheimer's the "easy way out"?

Even if it was, what's wrong with that? No one does things the hard way. Should we ban calculators?
Reply 90
Sabertooth
And if none of those ways work?

There's a good chance none of these things will work for some time, I had medication, CBT, psycologists all thrown at me and they didn't work for a good two years. Eventually I decided for myself that I couldn't and didn't want to live like that anymore. Then I did it with CBT and got my life back on track. So the point is it's very possible and normal for things not to work for quite some time, but eventually better days will come and that fact shouldn't be lost sight of.
Reply 91
MovingOn
You can call suicide selfish as much as you like, but the state of someone's mental health who is comtemplating it really can't be held liable. I don't think it's the cowards way out, and anyone who calls it such has never had to deal with it in real life.

I'd agree that a mentally ill person can't be held responsible, but that doesn't stop the act of suicide from being selfish.
Edit- I had a relative attempt suicide..thye weren't mentally very well, but I had to find this out through second hand gossip from someone I barely knew.. so it has selfish results.
MovingOn
There's a good chance none of these things will work for some time, I had medication, CBT, psycologists all thrown at me and they didn't work for a good two years. Eventually I decided for myself that I couldn't and didn't want to live like that anymore. Then I did it with CBT and got my life back on track. So the point is it's very possible and normal for things not to work for quite some time, but eventually better days will come and that fact shouldn't be lost sight of.

I don't mean to belittle your OCD as I do understand that it can be awful to live with, but let's pretend you had schizophrenia or bipolar and none of the drugs worked, CBT did nothing, counselling didn't help, and it's likely you'll spend your life going in and out of hospitals. Let's say you tried all these things for a good few years, 10 maybe. Would you want to live like that? What's the point of living a life you don't enjoy?

I find your bit about "deciding for yourself" a little strange, I'm fairly sure a lot of people with mental illnesses have most definitely decided for themselves they don't wish to be like that, yet it doesn't actually help matters.
Touched With Fire
When you want to do it everyday for months and hold on for your family because you don't want them to hurt because of you, yet you feel so sad that it feels as though the sadness itself will kill you slowly if you don't kill yourself...I can understand why some ultimately do it.

Agreed :yep:
So long as you don't be a **** about it and throw yourself infront of my train so I get home hours later than I should after a hard days work, then by all means remove yourself from the gene pool.
Reply 95
Sabertooth
Is euthanasia for cancer or alzheimer's the "easy way out"?

Even if it was, what's wrong with that? No one does things the hard way. Should we ban calculators?

There is a difference.
If you are killing yourself because you are miserable then yeah you are wrong to do it (and not thinking about the people in your life who will have to deal with your death).
In the case of euthanasia for someone who is terminal then I don't think it is wrong.
I think it should always be the person's choice whether they are ill or not. I definitely disagree with anyone making the decision for you though.
And yes. It is the easy way out. Death is always going to be easier than living. Once you're out, you're out.
Choice unless leaving fam behind.
Deronda
There is a difference.
If you are killing yourself because you are miserable then yeah you are wrong to do it (and not thinking about the people in your life who will have to deal with your death).
In the case of euthanasia for someone who is terminal then I don't think it is wrong.
I think it should always be the person's choice whether they are ill or not. I definitely disagree with anyone making the decision for you though.
And yes. It is the easy way out. Death is always going to be easier than living. Once you're out, you're out.

So in your view someone should spend, I dunno, 70 years being thoroughly miserable, plagued by thoughts of killing themselves daily, not able to get joy from anything and simply living in order that people who know them won't feel sad? And that's not a tinsy bit selfish of the people who know them?

I'm curious, have you ever experienced depression? :smile: (I mean proper depression not "omg he dumped me I'm like soooo depressed" )
Reply 98
Sabertooth
So in your view someone should spend, I dunno, 70 years being thoroughly miserable, plagued by thoughts of killing themselves daily, not able to get joy from anything and simply living in order that people who know them won't feel sad? And that's not a tinsy bit selfish of the people who know them?

I'm curious, have you ever experienced depression? :smile: (I mean proper depression not "omg he dumped me I'm like soooo depressed" )

I never said I experienced depression. And I never said that people should spend 70 years being miserable. I just think that death should be an absolute last resort, but people should be able to choose it if they want as its their life so they also have the right to be selfish and miserable and whatever.
MovingOn

I mean no disrespect but, I've been treated for manic depression for nearly 9 years and, like I said, I'm only 22 now. I have been treated by over 50 doctors, neurologists, counsellours, psychiatrists, cognitive behavioural therapists, and psychologists. I have been hospitalised in the past. I have tried over two dozen different medications and my doctors are running out of options. My faith in them has already failed and there are months at a time where every single day is a struggle and people expect me to live for them. For my family and friends, I struggle. You think it's a good thing that this is expected of me for the next (perhaps) 55-60 years left of my life? That is not a good thing. Not everybody has a cure.

Latest

Trending

Trending