The Student Room Group

A2 AQA BUSS4: Strategies Businesses could have adopted to prepare for the recession.

Scroll to see replies

S_G
Ohh right yeh Q4 was hard i was like rinsing my brain and managed to extend it to 2 pages and little bit more but literally was waffle!! lol not many ppl did that Q so hopefully they have no top boff's to compare it with :rolleyes:

Not to rain on your parade, but it will still be compared with all the other scripts ya'know :p:

I am sure you did great anyway.

Plus, no point worrying about it now - nothing you can do. And in regards to the two pages thing, as Jim says - "quality not quantity" :smile:
BionicBK
I'm kinda unsure about this exam, I mean it depends the way you wrote to be honest.

First question was alright not too sure about the section b one to be honest.

Someone made a group about the exam: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=104220129630156

They are silly. It wasn't that bad...
Reply 1302
Magic Dust
They are silly. It wasn't that bad...

That person also made a page about how 'awful' the English paper was too. I think she just wants attention haha.
Reply 1303
Magic Dust
For the use of a better word "nice". Section B was harder then A but I think I did okay. How about you?

I still have an economics paper on friday :frown:

Didn't you have an econ today too? My mate did. Yeh same, found B harder, A was quite a good question. :smile: (Did 1/5)
Jessica,
That person also made a page about how 'awful' the English paper was too. I think she just wants attention haha.

Yeah, although no one joined, so fail really :p:

Boomy
Didn't you have an econ today too? My mate did. Yeh same, found B harder, A was quite a good question. :smile: (Did 1/5)

Nope. I do old spec so mines on Friday. Lucky for me really I get more time to revise...

1/5 was the best choice :wink: :p:
Magic Dust
Sorry Danny, that's incorrect. The banks DID increase interest rates for businesses. Just because the bank of England sets it as 0.5% doesn't mean banks have to follow. There was a lot of up roar because loads of banks decided to keep interest on borrowing up so they could start to pay of some of their debts. This made it even harder for businesses to borrow as they couldn't afford it.

New Mortgages or loans, YES

Existing variable rate loans or mortgages , NO.
justDannyboy
New Mortgages or loans, YES

Existing variable rate loans or mortgages , NO.

Yep, and in a recession that businesses haven't planned for they aren't going to be taking out the loans before it starts are they? And banks don't have to offer a variable rate.

Also, with loads that were withstanding, many were non-variable because they could get like "low" interest or whatever, so many businesses opted for that, thinking interest rates would rise.

Just to say, I don't feel like arguing about something so pointless, so if you reply, then you win :p:
Reply 1307
MagicInk
Surprised more people didn't do question 2, I thought it was relatively straight forward and I gave a lot of different viewpoints on it, and used plenty of examples. Sadly I spent so long on it that my evaluation on Section B (I did Q4) was really rushed. Hopefully the rest of the question was good enough to get me a decent mark.

heyyy i did question 2 for section A aswell! How did you find it?
what kind of examples did you write?
:smile:
Reply 1308
Jim Riley
well...
Comprehensive school in Yorks
Studied Economics at Uni
Qualified as a chartered accountant
Moved into Mergers & Acquisitions with PwC
Joined a public company as a Strategy Director
Got made redundant in 2001
Started tutor2u

....what matters is what YOU have to offer to an employer - the skills, work ethic, energy and personality you'll bring to your work. Pick a course and a Uni you'll enjoy being at

Jim

Hiii was just wondering what people done for question 2 on section A (the government financial support one).... there doesnt seem to be many people who actually chose this question so im not too sure if i got it right :s

(question - does the uk motor industry deserve government financial support more then other industries)

I basically wrote that although the car industry is extremely important as it increased car saled by 31% and the gov say it saved 4000 jobs the gov bailing out the banks was more significant as if the gov were to do this then the economy would be in worse situation as there would have been a 'run on the banks' and people may have lost their savings ecttt

i also wrote about how the government provided financial support to mainly the retail sector as it adjusted its fiscal policy and lowers VAT?

was this correct Jim?? :s:s

:smile:
Jim Riley
well...
Comprehensive school in Yorks
Studied Economics at Uni
Qualified as a chartered accountant
Moved into Mergers & Acquisitions with PwC
Joined a public company as a Strategy Director
Got made redundant in 2001
Started tutor2u

....what matters is what YOU have to offer to an employer - the skills, work ethic, energy and personality you'll bring to your work. Pick a course and a Uni you'll enjoy being at

Jim

XD, didnt realise you were the site owner bud.

My business teacher is mad and i mean mad about your site, as in , if your site didnt exist, she would be out of a job.

Bit of feedback that you may appreciate, we always had to copy down the links for articles ect, letter for letter, which took ages and often meant a mistake or two. Maybe you could make the links shorter lol.
Lets be honest business A level is a joke, you don't need to work for it at all and is still possible to get good marks if you have any common sense. That exam just showed that you didn't need to even study business to do well as most people no a bit about the recession and it is pretty obvious about the effects of culture on a business.
Reply 1311
will68439
Lets be honest business A level is a joke, you don't need to work for it at all and is still possible to get good marks if you have any common sense. That exam just showed that you didn't need to even study business to do well as most people no a bit about the recession and it is pretty obvious about the effects of culture on a business.

Did you take the exam or have you just seen the questions? If the later, you need to study the a-level in order to know what knowledge you were missing out. For instance: most people know a bit of history, most people know a bit of french, and most people know how to add and subtract.
blatchcorn
Did you take the exam or have you just seen the questions? If the later, you need to study the a-level in order to know what knowledge you were missing out. For instance: most people know a bit of history, most people know a bit of french, and most people know how to add and subtract.

I'm not most people. I know no French :frown:
Reply 1313
will68439

possibly, but the exam techniques is not common sense.

question asks you - how recession affects businesses.

common sense should tell you to answer the question, whilst the examiner wants you to start by defining what a recession is and not answer the question.

Simplest exam technique, but still shows some preparation for exam technique is needed, there are many more exam techniques like application, using business keywords etc. i think you won't get anywhere by common sense for this qualification, even if ure the best businessman on the planet. thats why i hate this course, you might write everything that in real world would be the right answer but still you could end up with a low grade just because you haven't shown the examiners things other than common sense to gain the marks. but on the other hand, this is A level,they had to make it harder than exams in primary schools and i have to admit they've done it very baaaaaaaaaaaadly and not efficiently.
Reply 1314
Original post by jroyle31
can i have the password pleaseee?

can you please give me the password,

many thanks
Reply 1315
Hey im doing BUSS4 in a week as a retake! trying to go over all the things i learnt but finding it hard to remember everything. Anyone got some revisions notes they would like to share with me

Thanks Guys
Reply 1316
Original post by Magic Dust

Original post by Magic Dust
http://public.me.com/ka.mcintyre

That is a public server I have. At the moment it is full of all the Business Studies stuff that people have been posting on here.

(copyright note, most of this work isn't mine :p: )

I thought it might be helpful for people to be able to get to it all in one place. Message me for the password.

I have allowed others to write files onto it, but I am thinking you have to be a mobile me user so I don't think many will be able to do that. If you want me to add things then quote me with them, or link me to the post because I am sure I have missed stuff.

hi could you send me the password for this please,
[email protected]

thanks
Original post by RGraham-Ward
What did you guys say about AQ1 cost cutting because I only had enough time to do 2 paragraphs for the body. 4 in all including intro and conclusion. Ended up being 2 and a half pages.

But in first body paragraph I talked about:
How Motor companies were making people redundant.
-I talked about the benefits such as higher cash reserve, current workers could specialize more, then I talked about the bad things such as increase unemployment rates etc.
-I then talked about how BA did a similar thing and tried to freeze payments for workers but that didnt turn out because staff went on strike blah blah blah

in the second paragraph I talked about how the motor industries halted production
- Explained the good and bad about it. The good being that its a recessions and cars are luxury goods so to stop producing would be smart as people would not be buying as much. If they stopped producing they could focus on selling what they have and get a better cash inflow. I then said how M+S did the oposite kind of and switched their goods from quality goods to ordinary and said they lost alot of their customer base because of it.

I elaborated alot more on the paragraphs and each one was like a page long. But I feel 2 main points was not enough :s-smilie:

Although this was posted ages ago, it helped a lot with an in class question I have to write.

So thanks!

I found it through google :s-smilie:
Anyone for 2014??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending