The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

SyedT
Apparently there's no point trying to go to sleep early there,because you won't be able to :dontknow:

Not that I plan on doing that :ninja:

Yeah if you're facing the quad Wednesday nights in particular (sports night) can be noisy. The din from the quad got progressively louder as the summer term went on - as successive waves of people finished for the year - which obviously wasn't ideal.

Also, if you're on the East Wing the RAH stirs occasionally with some random-ass announcements and ****. And the Royal College of Music also have exams during the summer term. Budding opera singers bossing the same notes over and over: soothing to begin with, then ******* annoying after the first week (of many). Much preferred working in Beit to the library though - after 5 mins in there I'm convinced I start to melt.

...all more than bearable though, it should be said :holmes:

I can't speak for the West Wing (I've heard some pretty vicious rumours about those guys. That is, if they do actually exist :ninja: )
Reply 381
Blatant Troll
Yeah if you're facing the quad Wednesday nights in particular (sports night) can be noisy. The din from the quad got progressively louder as the summer term went on - as successive waves of people finished for the year - which obviously wasn't ideal.

Also, if you're on the East Wing the RAH stirs occasionally with some random-ass announcements and ****. And the Royal College of Music also have exams during the summer term. Budding opera singers bossing the same notes over and over: soothing to begin with, then ******* annoying after the first week (of many). Much preferred working in Beit to the library though - after 5 mins in there I'm convinced I start to melt.

I can't speak for the West Wing (I've heard some pretty vicious rumours about those guys. That is, if they do actually exist :ninja: )

You're not making me feel any better :hmmm:
Reply 382
Blatant Troll

Hey hey. I was on West :mad:

I worked in Beit much better than anywhere else. Even if it resulted in excessive tea drinking...
lulz, no offence intended guys :awesome: though the east side is patently the best :ahee:

I was the same, but substitute the tea for some pretty serious - albeit temporary - comfort eating (esp. Dairy Milk bars for some reason :holmes: ). I found Central Library too chatty/melty, and didn't particularly like working in Reynold's when filling out our dissection days either. Depending on timetables I may have to get used to it this year, living somewhat further away.

Anyhoo, bring on second year :dumbells:
Reply 384
Blatant Troll
lulz, no offence intended guys :awesome: though the east side is patently the best :ahee:

I was the same, but substitute the tea for some pretty serious - albeit temporary - comfort eating (esp. Dairy Milk bars for some reason :holmes: ). I found Central Library too chatty/melty, and didn't particularly like working in Reynold's when filling out our dissection days either. Depending on timetables I may have to get used to it this year, living somewhat further away.

Anyhoo, bring on second year :dumbells:

7 mins from CX :cool:
I didn't really eat much as I didn't buy anything in...Ate friends hobnobs though :yep:

I never worked in reynolds, read the papers while everyone else revised. Boy did I feel guilty.

Who are you :ninja:
Who am I? Who aren't I :colonhash: I could be any generic guy downing snakebite on a sports night :ahee: (well not quite - I don't play hockey or row)

I'll say hi one time :holmes:
Reply 386
Blatant Troll
Who am I? Who aren't I :colonhash: I could be any generic guy downing snakebite on a sports night :ahee: (well not quite - I don't play hockey or row)

I'll say hi one time :holmes:

You know who I am then...

Creepy...
:awesome: (I guess you've probably emptied your inbox since then, but I PM'd you my Facebook address last summer :holmes: )
Reply 388
Blatant Troll
:awesome: (I guess you've probably emptied your inbox since then, but I PM'd you my Facebook address last summer :holmes: )

Again :puppyeyes: I have PMs going back to november only :frown:
Choice between 4 A2's with A*A*AA prediction or 3 A2's with A*AA prediction.

I'll be dropping the subject i'm most interested in and did the best at AS level.
Reply 390
gozatron
Choice between 4 A2's with A*A*AA prediction or 3 A2's with A*AA prediction.

I'll be dropping the subject i'm most interested in and did the best at AS level.

So Physics, I'm guessing. Same dilemma for me. I don't really want to drop the subject I enjoy the most and the only other option for me is Maths which I did the best in. But I'm leaning towards keeping all four. The workload is worse at med school anyway.
Reply 391
Hi. Universities' websites and the TSR wiki article aren't too clear on this. Which universities, if any, require an A* in all GCSE sciences taken?

I took Dual science, as well as chemistry and physics, I got an A* in Chemistry. But in physics, I got A* in both papers, and a B in my coursework, making the overall grade an A.

Will I be at a disadvantage at any university? This is for 2012 entry
Reply 392
as_94
Hi. Universities' websites and the TSR wiki article aren't too clear on this. Which universities, if any, require an A* in all GCSE sciences taken?

I took Dual science, as well as chemistry and physics, I got an A* in Chemistry. But in physics, I got A* in both papers, and a B in my coursework, making the overall grade an A.

Will I be at a disadvantage at any university? This is for 2012 entry

I'm fairly sure they won't care as long as it's above a B. And I don't think any ask for an A* is science.
Reply 393
Scrubby
I'm fairly sure they won't care as long as it's above a B. And I don't think any ask for an A* is science.

Okay, thanks. I'm taking it for A level as well :s-smilie: :p:
Reply 394
Are these subjects alright for medicine? Obviously not for every medical school, but just generally.
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Psychology (drop after AS).

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 395
TaRhaR
Are these subjects alright for medicine? Obviously not for every medical school, but just generally.
Biology
Chemistry
Maths

Of course. Use your head.
TaRhaR
Biology
Chemistry
Maths

Yes. :smile:
Scrubby
So Physics, I'm guessing. Same dilemma for me. I don't really want to drop the subject I enjoy the most and the only other option for me is Maths which I did the best in. But I'm leaning towards keeping all four. The workload is worse at med school anyway.

surely that would make you err towards doing less this year....?!
Reply 398
John Locke
surely that would make you err towards doing less this year....?!

Nope, I want to get used to it now. So I won't be bitching about it next year or the year after or whatever.
Scrubby
Nope, I want to get used to it now. So I won't be bitching about it next year or the year after or whatever.

but why though, it's probably the best chance for you to minimise your workload for the forseeable future? you'll bitch about it anyway, you'll be a medical student :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending