The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Say if you get something like ABC for your january exams (A2) but you intend to re-take them during june to get AAA, will that affect you getting an offer for medicine? Or is it better if i took all my exams during June?

Unless in your offer they specify that they have to be completed in the first sitting (i.e. no retakes), which seems to be very rare (dare I say never), then no.

Definitely try to take as many in january as you reasonably can, if you do well then a lot stress/risk is taken away for june and if you do badly then you can retake (which is easier then taking for the first time as you're be revising the material instead of learning it...)
AFAIK the universities do not see your January A2 module results, and your UCAS form is already submitted by then, so it makes very little difference. The point about resits made by the poster above is an important one, but I'm not aware of many universities insisting on this.
A teacher of mine told me there is a way that unis can see your A2 January results although this isn't officially allowed. I got my only offer soon after jan a2 results came out and I did quite well in them - not sure if that played any part in me getting an offer or not though?!
Original post by lola1993
A teacher of mine told me there is a way that unis can see your A2 January results although this isn't officially allowed. I got my only offer soon after jan a2 results came out and I did quite well in them - not sure if that played any part in me getting an offer or not though?!

I'm sure universities don't use Jan A2 results to make an offer

They'd only be able to see them at the start of March at the earliest, when do medicine offers get given out usually?

They'd only be able to see them at the start of March at the earliest, when do medicine offers get given out usually?
December to end of March I think. Got my Imperial offer at the end of March.
Universities can't tell what you got in January A2 exams.
Original post by ilickbatteries

december to the very end of march/early april with the majority being around the latter.

It's a horrible waiting game, and means that you could end up not getting the accom you want as you apply for it after quite a few other students.
Original post by joemullally
december to the very end of march/early april with the majority being around the latter.

It's a horrible waiting game, and means that you could end up not getting the accom you want as you apply for it after quite a few other students.

Ah right.

I suppose they have a lot to deal with if it takes from October until April to decide who gets offers!
Original post by ilickbatteries
Ah right.

I suppose they have a lot to deal with if it takes from October until April to decide who gets offers!

They have up to 5000 applications (for medical departments not just A100)
Most of the applicants are the best and brightest on offer,
They all have their own unique skills and desires
and a lot of them are dead set on medicine.

The problem then is differentiating between potential candidates when pretty much everyone would be a perfect student.

They have to look at academics, UKCAT, personal statment, reference and interview to make sure that they can justify the applicants they eventually give offers to.

All that takes time especially if you have so many applicants.

This is why it's really hard to get into medicine.

But yeah like everyone on here I wish they could just get our application and let us know five minutes later.
Reply 1390
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Your thinking of 2010 entry.. it was about 675 then..

But it's true.. for 2011 entry Sheffield's cutoff was indeed 717.5 :redface:

How is Sheffield on GCSE grades?
Original post by Besakt
How is Sheffield on GCSE grades?

Not very strict iirc..

As long as you meet the minimum requirements then you should be fine :yep:

Looks like minimum are C's in the usual subjects so long as you have 6A's overall as shown here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Though by all means check on their website :yep:
Reply 1392
Original post by Helenia
AFAIK the universities do not see your January A2 module results, and your UCAS form is already submitted by then, so it makes very little difference. The point about resits made by the poster above is an important one, but I'm not aware of many universities insisting on this.

If you get BBB in AS results but get predicted AAA would somebody who achieved AAA in their as results and are predicted AAA get preference over you?
Original post by Besakt
If you get BBB in AS results but get predicted AAA would somebody who achieved AAA in their as results and are predicted AAA get preference over you?

Depends on university. Some don't take AS into account (Leicester) and some do (Oxbridge, Birmingham).
Reply 1394
Sorry if this has already been established, but are short course GCSEs usually discounted when applying for medicine, or are they counted as 0.5 of a GCSE? I've searched around but the rules are rather wishy-washy in regards to short course GCSEs :frown:
I have 9 GCSES which include two short course GCSES, one in R.E and one in Chinese Mandarin. I'm worried that they'll hinder my chances as I know some universities do not count them in (although others haven't mentioned anything about them).
(edited 12 years ago)
hi, im just wondering which universities i can apply for with:
GCSEs - 1A* 6A`s 3B`s ( B in maths and English Lang + Lit and AA in Dual Science)
A Level - Predicted 3A`s
Ukcat - 652.5 average
A sound personal statement (in which ive done 3 months work exp at a care home, summer schools and school mentoring system)

Please would like to get all the help i can!!!
Original post by sortedguy
GCSEs - 1A* 6A`s 3B`s ( B in maths and English Lang + Lit and AA in Dual Science)
A Level - Predicted 3A`s
Ukcat - 652.5 average
A sound personal statement (in which ive done 3 months work exp at a care home, summer schools and school mentoring system)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1713208

You can enter all of your information into there and it shall tell you =]

xxx
Reply 1397
Original post by sortedguy
A Level - Predicted 3A`s
Ukcat - 652.5 average

What she said :tongue:

Original post by trinny_911
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1713208

You can enter all of your information into there and it shall tell you =]

xxx

:biggrin:
Reply 1398
Ok... so I know i've completely flopped chemistry and think I will get a C...how can I convince my teachers to predict me an A? I really do think I can get an A, I just didn't work hard enough, had too much to deal with during exams and my revision tactics were weak looking back...my Jan exam and coursework was an A and GCSE was an A* but would this be enough to convince my teachers? One of them said to use whatever we get at AS, they will predict us that :frown: and said people who get a C or below should drop chemistry :frown:
Original post by Cleoleo

Original post by Cleoleo
Ok... so I know i've completely flopped chemistry and think I will get a C...how can I convince my teachers to predict me an A? I really do think I can get an A, I just didn't work hard enough, had too much to deal with during exams and my revision tactics were weak looking back...my Jan exam and coursework was an A and GCSE was an A* but would this be enough to convince my teachers? One of them said to use whatever we get at AS, they will predict us that :frown: and said people who get a C or below should drop chemistry :frown:

Don't wait around. If you get a C, whenever you go back to school ask to speak to your teacher privately and discuss your prediction. Show an interest and mention you're thinking of applying for medicine. Hopefully then they'll see how serious your taking your studies and predict you an A. If not, bitch, moan, whine and complain your way right to the top.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending