The Student Room Group

Manchester offer, will i get into a BBB with ABC??

So ive an offer for Zoology from manchester,
but they want BBB
i think i can get an A for Biology and maybe psychology,
but more than likely to get a C or D for Philosophy,
so i may end up getting ABC/ AAD
does anyone know if manchester is leninent with grade averages like this, and let me in for BBB??

grateful for any comments, thanks.:smile:
Reading today's Times article about numbers applying and grades they are offering I doubt it.
Reply 2
Probably, especially if you can get an A in biology.

Obviously, no-one here is going to be able to give you a definite answer either way. I'm only speaking from personal experience.
wouldnt put any money on it
Reply 4
Email them/ call them and ask if they'll accept those variants. If you don't want them to know it's you askng, use and old/ fake email address.
Reply 5
Phone them and find out. Some unis will, some unis wont. Some subjects will, some subjects wont. Ring them, not email, ring.
Reply 6
ohmygoshxo
Email them/ call them and ask if they'll accept those variants.

Don't ring them, it's a waste of their time.

ETA: Why in the name of God would you ring them? What could possibly be the use? If you miss their offer, they'll make a decision on the day and it'll be based on how many other people reached their offers, how much you missed your offer by, and which subjects you missed the grades in. OP doesn't have ANY of that information to hand, they're merely speculating that they might miss their offer. Ringing them is completely pointless, and just uses up the department's time when they have current students to deal with.
Reply 7
nihonmatt
but they want BBB
does anyone know if manchester is leninent with grade averages like this, and let me in for BBB??

Nobody can tell you until Results Day. The only thing you can do is to do your best to achieve the grades; don't let speculating about what might happen if you don't distract you from that.

If Manchester's what you really want, put it down as your firm and pick an insurance that you are also happy with.
Reply 8
Sequin
Phone them and find out. Some unis will, some unis wont. Some subjects will, some subjects wont. Ring them, not email, ring.

Why not email? I emailed all my unis with a smilar query (whether A*A*B would be acceptable for AAA offer) and they all replied within a day. They all said no absolutely not, but still :P
Reply 9
I have an offer of AABBB for construction management in UCL (Irish leaving certificate), and I'm sure they would let me in on ABBBB or AABBC, I believe if they like me enough to give an offer then they will make an exception. Although I guess it depends on the course. Anyway, its irrelevant because I will get the conditional grades.
Reply 10
Some will and some will not. Depends how many people have successfully taken up the course. Contact them to see if they maybe be lenient.
Reply 11
It depends what you get the C in, if it is Biology then not but if you get an A in Biology then quite possibky they will take you. You are affectively offering them the same grades!
ohmygoshxo
Why not email? I emailed all my unis with a smilar query (whether A*A*B would be acceptable for AAA offer) and they all replied within a day. They all said no absolutely not, but still :P

I honestly don't understand this though, say if you get A* in the subject you want to study at uni, and say if the B was not very relevant to the subject your studying at uni, why would it matter? A*A*B is better in UCAS points; its 380. Someone who gets 2 A*s is likely to be more talented than someone who gets 3 As, as for the A student it shows an A is their limit, but with the A*A*B student, it means that you obviously excell amazingly in those two subjects, but you just maybe disliked the subject you got a B in?

But then again I'm just speculating. Could you tell me which subjects your studying at A level with the grades for the subjects that you would have had for the A*A*B? Also what have you applied for and what uni was it? (I mean if it was top 5 its probably acceptable, but below top 10 would be pushing it, imo).

Sorry for all the questions :o:
Reply 13
They don't have to, but if you're lucky they will.
Getting an A in bio will put you in good stead. Chances are, they'll look at your unit grades; my guess is that if you score really well in most, but one exam lets you down, they may give you the benefit of the doubt. Similarly, if you just miss one of your grades and you're only a few UMS off, they may take pity on you :p:

Thing is, it's ultra competitive this year, so there's still a big chance they'll say no. Let's just hope for the best :smile:
Reply 14
_BANKSY_
I have an offer of AABBB for construction management in UCL (Irish leaving certificate), and I'm sure they would let me in on ABBBB or AABBC, I believe if they like me enough to give an offer then they will make an exception. Although I guess it depends on the course. Anyway, its irrelevant because I will get the conditional grades.
I hate to rain on your parade, but it's quite possible they wouldn't. Just because they liked your application enough to make you an offer doesn't mean they'll be lenient if you miss it, whatever course you applied for.

If unis are choosing between people who have missed their offers (and they may not be - it could happen that there is no room for any 'near misses' at all) the factors they would consider include whether there were any extenuating circumstances reported to them before Results Day, whether the subjects with the missed grades are 'relevant' to the course choice, and individual module grades. They may also take into account whether they were your firm or your insurance choice.
Reply 15
joshphillips999
I honestly don't understand this though, say if you get A* in the subject you want to study at uni, and say if the B was not very relevant to the subject your studying at uni, why would it matter? A*A*B is better in UCAS points; its 380. Someone who gets 2 A*s is likely to be more talented than someone who gets 3 As, as for the A student it shows an A is their limit, but with the A*A*B student, it means that you obviously excell amazingly in those two subjects, but you just maybe disliked the subject you got a B in?

But then again I'm just speculating. Could you tell me which subjects your studying at A level with the grades for the subjects that you would have had for the A*A*B? Also what have you applied for and what uni was it? (I mean if it was top 5 its probably acceptable, but below top 10 would be pushing it, imo).

Sorry for all the questions
The point is that the uni making the AAA offer is expecting a minimum of an A grade in your three subjects. Getting A* in two of them but a B in the third does not meet that, and the uni is not required to trade off the A*s against the B.

It really doesn't make any difference to the essential point to know which uni or course the OP is talking about. Some high ranked unis with competitive courses may still be able/willing to take a 'near miss'; another uni further down the league tables with a theoretically less competitive course may not. Some people last year missed out on their places by a few UMS in one module. That's how tough it can be, so the only certain advice is to do your best to get the grades your offer requires, and to make sure that your firm and insurance unis are aware of any extenuating circumstances that might have affected your ability to do this, well in advance of the results being published.
nihonmatt
but they want BBB

Unless it's a points offer, they want BBB not ABC so no.

Latest

Trending

Trending