The Student Room Group

Would a BBB course accept me with ABC?

I’m thinking of reapplying to uni to study Japanese at SOAS (currently on a gap year), however their offer is BBB (believe I am eligible for a contextual).

Achieved ABC in my a levels would they accept me with these?

Also would I have to give up an unconditional offer I already hold to reapply?
Original post by digitalyea
I’m thinking of reapplying to uni to study Japanese at SOAS (currently on a gap year), however their offer is BBB (believe I am eligible for a contextual).

ABC doesn’t necessarily hold the same weight as BBB does to universities, you should email/ring up the uni and ask about whether you would be considered with grades ABC.
Yes you would need to give up the unconditional offer to reapply. As above, ABC isn't really the same as BBB to universities.
Much would depend on what the C grade is in.

Thank you for your message.

We would need to assess your application and academic profile as a whole before we can give a definitive answer. If you have a deferred offer for 2022 entry, you would need to give it up in order to start another UCAS application and reapply.

All the best,

Patricia Kunihira-Davidson
Head of Undergraduate Admissions, SOAS
(edited 2 years ago)
At SOAS now! I needed AAB and got A*BB and got in. I find SOAS is ususally quite chill about these things. Please give it a go! SOAS is the best place if you want a high level of Japanese

I'm the same as Quack_Dragon above! I was offered ABB + B in EPQ and I got ABC + A in EPQ and got in just fine. It will depend how over-subscribed your course is but most likely you'll be all good :smile:
It didn't work for me (probably because the course was very competitive). They wanted BBB but I got AAC which I thought would cancel out but apparently not. So I ultimately decided to retake the subject in hope of a better grade (was the university of warwick btw)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by FreshBlaze
It didn't work for me (probably because the course was very competitive). They wanted BBB but I got AAC which I thought would cancel out but apparently not. So I ultimately decided to retake the subject in hope of a better grade (was the university of warwick btw)

Different unis do have different policies, and from what I've heard and seen SOAS tends to have a UCAS-points based policy rather than specific grades, unless you're applying for something like economics where a specific subject is relevant (like maths, for example). For Japanese there aren't any specific required subjects so it's more likely in this case that they'll be fine with ABC, regardless of competitiveness
I'm guessing it depends on the university/course you're applying to and I don't know what they look at or take into consideration but I got into uni of sheffield with ABC and I needed BBB
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by umbrellala
Different unis do have different policies, and from what I've heard and seen SOAS tends to have a UCAS-points based policy rather than specific grades, unless you're applying for something like economics where a specific subject is relevant (like maths, for example). For Japanese there aren't any specific required subjects so it's more likely in this case that they'll be fine with ABC, regardless of competitiveness
Hi, I know this is two years later but is this still the case? I need BBB, but if I were to get ABC, or AAC, or even A* A D, would any of these be accepted? Also, I’m applying for Arabic at soas, how oversubscribed is this course?
Original post by awesomesauce15
Hi, I know this is two years later but is this still the case? I need BBB, but if I were to get ABC, or AAC, or even A* A D, would any of these be accepted? Also, I’m applying for Arabic at soas, how oversubscribed is this course?

Any uni might accept you as a near miss candidate, however no one can really tell you how likely this is as it depends on the results of other offer holders this year.

All the above guidance is from a COVID affected period so may not be much indication.
Original post by awesomesauce15
Hi I'm a final year Arabic and International Relations student at SOAS so if you have any questions related to the course, Id' be happy to answer them! Arabic is one of the more popular degrees at SOAS but it's also one of the hardest so it's not super oversubscribed. As you progress, some people also drop out. The course is intense but the professors offer lots of support and it's also great because you get to live and study in the Middle East in your third year. If you have a strong application including an exceptionally well-written personal statement, SOAS could potentially reduce your grades but if you don't manage to get BBB you can also apply for the course through clearing. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending