The Student Room Group

American Studies -what is it and where is the best place to study it.

I'm an international student , thinking of applying in the UK.
American Studies sound very interesting, however I know very little about it.
The universities I'm looking at are Manchester, Swansea, uni of East Anglia and Essex. Bc I'm a foreign student, I'm unfamilar with the unis and the cities.
I'm also kind of sceptical about the job opportunities for American Studies. I don't want to be one of those student that study without any possiblity of a job..
Thoughts and inputs?
Reply 1
Hello,

I'm studying at the University of Essex so I can tell you a bit about it. The American Studies here are over 40 years old and apparently have a very broad programme. Course is interdisciplinary so you will learn about American History through a variety of approaches, cultural, social etc. All those different departments contribute to this course. Also Essex gives you a possibility to choose between a 3year course and a 4year course. In the 4 year course you are going to the US in your 3rd year and have the possibility to get to know the country and culture personally!
I'm citing whats written on the American studies website:
What do American Studies students do after graduation?

By the end of their studies, our students are confident and articulate people. They have learned to think and operate across the many disciplinary boundaries, and their achievements are all the more worthy for having been able to master the very different skills needed across the disciplines. The vast majority of American Studies students here at Essex have taken the four year degree option. They have studied longer than most other students and have benefited from the experience of studying, living and travelling in the US.

Our graduates have gone on to work in diverse fields - many in the media, for the BBC and private production companies, others in the Civil Service, some work for American companies, or in travel-related occupations. Some of our graduates have gone on to further study at MA and PhD level in this country and the US. Former graduates are currently studying for PhDs at Yale University and the University of California.

Apart from that, the campus is really nice, busy and international. Theres always something going on so you would never get bored here. Also the University is based in a park so we have a lot of greenery around:smile:

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 2
Is literature a big part of the programme?

Latest

Trending

Trending