The Student Room Group

AS Levels,Declining etc, Please Help

I have already posted about this, but this is about declining grades. I hope to study history at oxford, but i messed up my as levels AAABBC (one A in critical thinking, so doesnt really count?)(also A in history) (gcses were all a stars). I messed up cause of illness etc and i will have a doctor/therapist note to cover this in my teachers ucas reference.

My question is shall i decline all my grades, and put 'pending' and only pu tmy 4A prediction for a-level? Or am i better off putting the grades down? Can someone who knows what they are talking about, please help me.

thank you very much.
Reply 1
LondonBoy
I have already posted about this, but this is about declining grades. I hope to study history at oxford, but i messed up my as levels AAABBC (one A in critical thinking, so doesnt really count?)(also A in history) (gcses were all a stars). I messed up cause of illness etc and i will have a doctor/therapist note to cover this in my teachers ucas reference.

My question is shall i decline all my grades, and put 'pending' and only pu tmy 4A prediction for a-level? Or am i better off putting the grades down? Can someone who knows what they are talking about, please help me.

thank you very much.

from the post it looks like you're dropping 2 subjects - are you resitting the modules to get the A or leaving them? plus, if you have a legit medical note then you have a valid excuse. going for history i presume your doing some form of english and possibly politics? how were your grades for the relevant subjects to your course?
Reply 2
El Chueco
from the post it looks like you're dropping 2 subjects - are you resitting the modules to get the A or leaving them? plus, if you have a legit medical note then you have a valid excuse. going for history i presume your doing some form of english and possibly politics? how were your grades for the relevant subjects to your course?

A -english lit, B-maths-french c-chem

im dropping chem, keeping the rest (crit think only till as)
Reply 3
Just mention you were ill in your reference! It will be clear from your GCSE's and your A-level predictions you can pass exams.
Reply 4
is that better than declining my grades?
Reply 5
LondonBoy
A -english lit, B-maths-french c-chem

im dropping chem, keeping the rest (crit think only till as)

which history you doing? i think there are 6 options: modern, ancient and modern, modern and economics, modern and english, modern and modern foreign language, modern and politics. but with AA in history and english despite being ill i dont see there being a problem. but if you include the note, don't decline the grades...
AAABBC when you were ill is very good! If you're predicted AAAA at A2 and got straight A*s in your GCSEs, they'll be able to see from that that you're capable and you got As in the important subjects. I'd put the grades down if I were you. Are you going to resit any maths and French modules? I wouldn't bother resitting any chemistry modules if you're dropping it.
Reply 7
kellywood_5
AAABBC when you were ill is very good! If you're predicted AAAA at A2 and got straight A*s in your GCSEs, they'll be able to see from that that you're capable and you got As in the important subjects. I'd put the grades down if I were you. Are you going to resit any maths and French modules? I wouldn't bother resitting any chemistry modules if you're dropping it.

yeah because i got high 90's for two maths modules, and then about 40 in the one i was ill for, which is bloody annoying.

Are you applying for oxbridge this year?
LondonBoy
yeah because i got high 90's for two maths modules, and then about 40 in the one i was ill for, which is bloody annoying.

Are you applying for oxbridge this year?

Yeah, I'm applying for MML (French and ab-initio Spanish) at Sidney Sussex, Cambridge. I only got AABB at AS (and I wasn't ill :p: ) but English lit was 3 marks off an A, so I'm resitting Unit 1, and I'm either going to get history Unit 2 remarked or resit that as well, and my 2 As were high, so I'm giving it a go anyway. Good luck! :smile:
Those are really good grades, really dont worry about them (except maybe the C?) I was looking over my old UCAS stuff today and realised I turned up for interview with ABBB :s-smilie:!
Reply 10
kellywood_5
Yeah, I'm applying for MML (French and ab-initio Spanish) at Sidney Sussex, Cambridge. I only got AABB at AS (and I wasn't ill :p: ) but English lit was 3 marks off an A, so I'm resitting Unit 1, and I'm either going to get history Unit 2 remarked or resit that as well, and my 2 As were high, so I'm giving it a go anyway. Good luck! :smile:

Get that paper remarked, 3 marks in an english lit exam is nothing!
LondonBoy
Get that paper remarked, 3 marks in an english lit exam is nothing!

I meant I was 3 marks off an A overall. I got 237/300. Both my exams were high Bs, 5 marks off an A (91/120 and 67/90) but I got 79/90 on my coursework, which pulled me up. I think the marking was fair though as I was expecting a B, so I'm just going to resit unit 1 to make it easier to get an A next year.

Latest

Trending

Trending