The Student Room Group

Crime and Deviance AQA-29th June 2010 (Pre-test discussion)

Scroll to see replies

'Me=
']Yes, late modernity is so annoying to learn. I tried learning it today through the use of Giddens and Beck and all this information about refelxivity was confussing the life out of me :frown: I really hope a theory comes up, in particular Functionalism :biggrin: that would be amazing :smile: Do you know how i would answer a question on assess the usefulness of statistics in the study of crime and deviance?

The first thing that springs to mind is that official statistics can help people/sociologists/whatever map the patterns of crime and any possible changes over time, as well as going back centuries. Also, that official statistics are collected by government organisations and therefore "relatively" free from individual bias, they're also pretty freely available and easy to analyse.
Reply 21
Sakura-Chan
The first thing that springs to mind is that official statistics can help people/sociologists/whatever map the patterns of crime and any possible changes over time, as well as going back centuries. Also, that official statistics are collected by government organisations and therefore "relatively" free from individual bias, they're also pretty freely available and easy to analyse.

Thanks Sakura-Chan, i really hope that does not come up :s-smilie: Hows your revision coming along?
'Me=
']Thanks Sakura-Chan, i really hope that does not come up :s-smilie: Hows your revision coming along?

Not well :frown: I'm concentrating on Theory and Methods at the moment but it's all so boring, my text book is so wordy and it all overlaps so much I'm struggling to remember who said what, and what theory they belong to.

I have my Global Development stuff to remember as well, which is before the C&D exam, and it's all getting too much!
Reply 23
'Me=
']Yes, late modernity is so annoying to learn. I tried learning it today through the use of Giddens and Beck and all this information about refelxivity was confussing the life out of me :frown: I really hope a theory comes up, in particular Functionalism :biggrin: that would be amazing :smile: Doe you know how i would answer a question on assess the usefulness of statistics in the study of crime and deviance?

Ahaha yeah Functionalism would be awesome :biggrin: But I doubt it, will probably be a question to get you to write about the more complex theories e.g. realism, neo-marxism :frown:

In the stats question, I would probs write about:

*Stats can be useful as they are easy to get hold of and generally reliable, like the British Crime Survey.
*I'd also say Positivists favour the BCS because its quantitative data
*Then i'd write a bit about ethnicity and crime...How police statistics could be seen as racist (from a social constructionist point of view e.g. the labelling theory) and ethnic minorities are being unfairly treated in the criminal justice system, therefore offical stats are unrepresentative and unreliable?
*I would mention that offical stats don't have much validity and understanding to them (say about Webers theory of 'versthen' sp?)
*Victim studies and also the survey where people admit their crimes (cant remember what its called) can be seen as being unreliable, due to people being embarrassed, not wanting to say about the crimes (e.g. domestic violence/rape is a sensitive topic)

Sorry if that wasn't much help or didn't make much sense! I need to revise statistics eek :s-smilie: So much to do!
Reply 24
Can anybody explain to me what the deal is with social policy. Do we just need to know what each theory wants with social policy e.g. new right=less state benefits, marxist=make people aware of the inequalities of capitalism? Im really confused :frown: theory and methods SUCKS :frown:
arrgh really struggling. I had the bright idea of studying long distance whilst working 50+ hours per week. Ive only poped on here during my 10 min lunch break to ask for any advice. just over 3 weeks left. Ive finally finished covering all th modules and am struggling to structure the essays. I just need a D overall to get into uni but still ver scared plus want a C.
Sakura-Chan
Not well :frown: I'm concentrating on Theory and Methods at the moment but it's all so boring, my text book is so wordy and it all overlaps so much I'm struggling to remember who said what, and what theory they belong to.

I have my Global Development stuff to remember as well, which is before the C&D exam, and it's all getting too much!

What i've found helpful for theory and methods that are overlapping, is to create kind of a poster but in logical form. And as I read on and find more things which relate back to the original point, adding that onto it.

So, it's like creating one massive diagram, but with many pieces of paper, i've stuck them on my wall to make it easier to understand. Like one piece of paper might have something on it, then maybe a paper arrow underneath, pointing to a relating piece of paper to the original info. It results in one big map on my bedroom wall................my rooms beginning to look like a classroom :p:

Also, for remembering theorists, what I find helpful is using revision cards. Question on the front, answer on the back, and using a white board to test myself :p:

Sorry if this was a bit confusing, it was like rocket science trying to explain! :lol:
Pinkaddiction23
What i've found helpful for theory and methods that are overlapping, is to create kind of a poster but in logical form. And as I read on and find more things which relate back to the original point, adding that onto it.

So, it's like creating one massive diagram, but with many pieces of paper, i've stuck them on my wall to make it easier to understand. Like one piece of paper might have something on it, then maybe a paper arrow underneath, pointing to a relating piece of paper to the original info. It results in one big map on my bedroom wall................my rooms beginning to look like a classroom :p:

Also, for remembering theorists, what I find helpful is using revision cards. Question on the front, answer on the back, and using a white board to test myself :p:

Sorry if this was a bit confusing, it was like rocket science trying to explain! :lol:

I'll definitely do something like that, it sounds like a great idea even though I'm usually not a fan of making posters at all! If I have it all across my bedroom wall, like yours, them I'll be able to read it while I'm drying my hair in a morning or something :p:

I actually haven't done much on C&D/T&M in the past few weeks, I'm still doing Global Development as that exam is first and we haven't even finished to syllabus yet! :eek3: Over the week/the week off next week I'm going to have to do literally tons of work just to get back to speed on everything.
Sakura-Chan
I'll definitely do something like that, it sounds like a great idea even though I'm usually not a fan of making posters at all! If I have it all across my bedroom wall, like yours, them I'll be able to read it while I'm drying my hair in a morning or something :p:

I actually haven't done much on C&D/T&M in the past few weeks, I'm still doing Global Development as that exam is first and we haven't even finished to syllabus yet! :eek3: Over the week/the week off next week I'm going to have to do literally tons of work just to get back to speed on everything.

I'm not the brightest person at all. I average on a B/C. And everyone is claiming this C&D exam is like horrific, but to be honest, i've been self teaching it because I haven't had a proper teacher for 3 months, and if I can understand it......anyone can :lol:
Reply 29
Pinkaddiction23
I'm not the brightest person at all. I average on a B/C. And everyone is claiming this C&D exam is like horrific, but to be honest, i've been self teaching it because I haven't had a proper teacher for 3 months, and if I can understand it......anyone can :lol:

Thats what everyone says...tbh i really don't find crime and deviance too difficult its the second section on theory e.g. interactionism that i really don't like :frown: not to mention social policies :mad:
'Me=
']Thats what everyone says...tbh i really don't find crime and deviance too difficult its the second section on theory e.g. interactionism that i really don't like :frown: not to mention social policies :mad:

I haven't looked at social theories yet. But Interactionism/Interpretivism isn't that hard. I realised the other day when I revised it, it's actually really simple.

Interpretivism/Interactionism is when sociology try to understand human behaviour from the point of view of the individual. They look for meanings, motives and reasons behind human behavious and social ineraction. So they like qualitative data (descriptive) rather than quantitative data (numerical). So they use research methods which will produce data with lots of details.

Examples include:

Observation, both participant and non participant. Also note that observation can also be overt (group/individual is aware) or covert (they are unaware).

Unstructured interviews, because they probe and ask the interviewee for more details. Pros of this is that if the interviewee says something interesting, they can ask for more details, if they don't understand an answer, they can ask the interviewee for confirmation.

Field experiements, these are experiments in the natural setting, eg Observation.

They like case studies, note that this is secondary data, but it will be descriptive. Other types of secondary data which could be used and is qualitative, is journals, diaries, newspapers.

Also, data produced by interpretivists will be valid, because it produces a true image of society. BUT it won't be reliable, because it won't be able to be repeated with the exact same results.

It also won't produce a representative sample because the research sample will be too small to make a generalisation.

I know there will be more on interpretivism/interactionism (it's the same thing), but thats all i've done so far. So I hope this helps your understanding! :biggrin:
omg.. this paper is a killer :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
You know how the last question could be on either methods or theory.. I HOPE IT'S METHODS!!!!!!

phew.
Beautiful Nightmare
You know how the last question could be on either methods or theory.. I HOPE IT'S METHODS!!!!!!

phew.

Won't it be both? :s-smilie: Like for example,

"Sociology cannot and should not be a sciene" To what extent do sociological arguments and evidence support this view?

For that question, you'd discuss the theory behind it, and whether or not their methods would qualify as scientific.

:s-smilie: I don't have much info on this exam, so please, if i'm wrong, or if anyone has any extra and official info, please feel free to quote me and let me know!!
Reply 34
Beautiful Nightmare

phew.

Same! If theory comes up, I'm doomed!!
ARrgh. I hope functionalism comes up left realism confuses me and I keep getting positivists and iteractionists and iterpretivists mixed up.
hiddencat12
ARrgh. I hope functionalism comes up left realism confuses me and I keep getting positivists and iteractionists and iterpretivists mixed up.

Read the post 2 posts up. I think it might help you. :wink: Sorry if it doesn't though.
Reply 37
Please, stop saying this paper is a killer!!! I think if you learn it really well; then we can get a good grade. It's just the density of it.
Can I ask? What were people's results like for the Jan sitting SLY4?
ECullen
Please, stop saying this paper is a killer!!! I think if you learn it really well; then we can get a good grade. It's just the density of it.
Can I ask? What were people's results like for the Jan sitting SLY4?

I got an E, and was predicted A/B.
Reply 39
How much has everyone learnt for this unit....i feel like im screwed seriously bad :frown: Need the A for uni:eek3:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending