The Student Room Group

Crime and Deviance AQA-29th June 2010 (Pre-test discussion)

Scroll to see replies

a112
Guys i really need a quick answer please, i have revised crime and deviance but i havnt even started AT all with theory and methods, can someone please tell me if the hteory and method is too much to learn in one day (tomorrow) the reason i want to know is because i have a really important pychology exam the day after and i want to spend most of my time on an exam which im likely to do well in and i might do well in psychology if i continue revising for it. im worried that iv left theory and methods for sociology and is it oo much to do in one day ( really honet replies please!) thanks

Honestly, I think so.. I think theory AND mthods may be a bit too much.. methods should be fine as it's applied to crime and deviance and you have done it from last yearm but i'm teling you, theory is a killer..I spent days learning theory..:frown: :s-smilie:
palringo0418
Honestly, I think so.. I think theory AND mthods may be a bit too much.. methods should be fine as it's applied to crime and deviance and you have done it from last yearm but i'm teling you, theory is a killer..I spent days learning theory..:frown: :s-smilie:

I've spent days on it too, still haven't grasped the social action stuff :mad:
CookieDoughLove

damnnn.. iv'e got an essay on interactionism if you want? social action didnt have an essay but its basically webers action theory, symbolic, labelling, goffman, EM, phen, giddens! but yupp theory takes AGES! I seriousy need a B in this paper :|
SamPamike
DON'T PANIC!! I'm feeling the exact same right now. Of course im watching Alan Carr because Im a fool. :L

You have revised theory and C+D. I haven't done that yet. Im still writing notes for the theory which I have to finish tomorrow and then learn everything! :s-smilie:
You are fineeeee! There is no way you won't get a high B or even an A with knowing those two sections really well.
You have all day tomorrow to master methods so realax! :biggrin:

Oh mann im sooo dead. The theory section is killing me!! :frown:

Thanks! That's made me feel less stressed :biggrin: I guess it all depends what questions come up...I would LOVE it if ethnicity came up, but I don't think it will :frown:

You'll be fine too, theory is a big section but the good thing is only 1 topic from it comes up! I hope it's an easy one though :s-smilie: I really need to do well in this 33 marker...!
CookieDoughLove

I haven't grasped the science/value free stuff yet :frown: We briefly covered it in class so I didn't get chance to properly understand it in class, let alone revision 2 days before the exam!!

The only thing that's making me feel a bit better is I have Tuesday morning to do some last minute revision, if it was in the morning I would be panicing even more then I am now :woo:
Gaah sociology is a killer...so many people have said to me 'oh isn't sociology really easy?' and it's a 'soft' subject and so on

I get so annoyed with people saying that, it's so hard and so much to learn, it's unfair how much we need to know for this exam :frown:

Anyway, I need to stop getting distracted and get on with methods revision...bye for now!
Reply 446
a112
Guys i really need a quick answer please, i have revised crime and deviance but i havnt even started AT all with theory and methods, can someone please tell me if the hteory and method is too much to learn in one day (tomorrow) the reason i want to know is because i have a really important pychology exam the day after and i want to spend most of my time on an exam which im likely to do well in and i might do well in psychology if i continue revising for it. im worried that iv left theory and methods for sociology and is it oo much to do in one day ( really honet replies please!) thanks

Honestly..just like was already said above. It will be hard work! But it is definately do-able! The methods section is really manageable and quite easy to understand, the link with C+D is the only difficult part, and it isn't even that bad. The theory section, like was said already has much more information, and is more difficult and sooo confusing!

But you can definately do it! I have to learn everything tomorrow, properly learn that is. I've done notes and slight revision but major cram learning tomorrow. So don't worry, you won't be the only one! :smile:

Good luck with it!! :biggrin:
Reply 447
im in such a big dilemma! iv got tomorrow to dedicate my time to either sociology and learn all of theory and methods and i wont have that much time to do psychology revision for the exam the nxt day after sociology. therefore do i try my best on psychology instead or and maybe do well or dedicate my time to sociology which i might be a big risk in doing less well in both exams,,, helpppp? please
Reply 448
ranbow99
Thanks! That's made me feel less stressed :biggrin: I guess it all depends what questions come up...I would LOVE it if ethnicity came up, but I don't think it will :frown:

You'll be fine too, theory is a big section but the good thing is only 1 topic from it comes up! I hope it's an easy one though :s-smilie: I really need to do well in this 33 marker...!

Yeah ethnicity would be a really nice question! Its a pity it came up in jan! I wouldn't mind suicide, i like that it's structured!
I have a feeling nothing I want to will come up. The questions I wanted to have come up in all my exams so far, so Ive been really lucky...this time though i really doubt it!
Sad3k
My best bet for C+D it shall be labelling theory/strain theory or patterns of crime
21 marker for C+D i think suicde or gender or marxist approach.

Methods will be something along the lines of quantative - positivists

33marker i think would be somehting like postmodern societY/sociology as a science or social policy.

I predicted sects and science would come up in Jun 10 paper for unit 3 and it did. All my exams i've predicted questions to come up and only been wrong once.

Forgive me if i probably sound stupid saying this, but i'm totally confused.. i thought we'd get a 12 marker on C/D, 21 Marker on C/D, 9 Marker on Methods & C/D, 15 marker on Methods & C/D, and then a 33 marker on theory?

I'm probably really wrong but looking at my book, your prediction for the 33 marker is all topics under methodology??
Well i know hardly anything. Just about know functionalism and subcultural theorists for crime and deviance, participant observation for methods and nothing for theory. so guess im failing miserably!
Reply 451
TheKiddder
Forgive me if i probably sound stupid saying this, but i'm totally confused.. i thought we'd get a 12 marker on C/D, 21 Marker on C/D, 9 Marker on Methods & C/D, 15 marker on Methods & C/D, and then a 33 marker on theory?

I'm probably really wrong but looking at my book, your prediction for the 33 marker is all topics under methodology??

No science can be from theory too. methods is itnerpeetvist/positivists. Experiments/quesitonnaires/observation etc...

Yeah it goes 12 then 21 then 9 then 15 then 33
a112
im in such a big dilemma! iv got tomorrow to dedicate my time to either sociology and learn all of theory and methods and i wont have that much time to do psychology revision for the exam the nxt day after sociology. therefore do i try my best on psychology instead or and maybe do well or dedicate my time to sociology which i might be a big risk in doing less well in both exams,,, helpppp? please

i am in exactly the same position as you. . . i was thinking for me im quite good at psychology and the method of revising it is alot easier for me. plus theres alot less information than this exam for sociology... i already have all my notes and revision cards for media and so for schizophrenia i will just cram in names and relevent research... but tomoro i am focusing on sociology. maybe a little read through of media cards but yeah, sociology is a hard one for me and i feel that its better for me to focus on sociology tomoro

then again we are all different.
Oh, okay thanks! And your prediction for the 12 marker... patterns of crime? You mean anything in relaiton to age, location, gender, ethnicity, class?
Reply 454
TheKiddder
Oh, okay thanks! And your prediction for the 12 marker... patterns of crime? You mean anything in relaiton to age, location, gender, ethnicity, class?

Patterns of crime looks at statistics, such as British crime survery, UK census, police-recorded statistics, victim studies, self-report studies.
Im really struggling with crime and deviance theories... could someone please reply with a simple explanation of what ...functionalists marxists left realists and right realists and so on... they say causes crime and also their soloutions and theory on crime?! thank you!
Sad3k
No science can be from theory too. methods is itnerpeetvist/positivists. Experiments/quesitonnaires/observation etc...

Yeah it goes 12 then 21 then 9 then 15 then 33

So in saying that, do you think it's definately worth focusing on theory and methods then?

I've mainly worked on Theory and Methods and neglected Crime and Deviance.
Crime and Deviance questions = 33 marks in total.
Methods, Theory and Methods = 57 in total.

Are we in agreement that I haven't been a total muppet in ignoring Crime and Deviance? Don't get me wrong, i'm not going to not revise it, but my knowledge won't be that in depth :frown:

ARGH this exam is so stressful!
Reply 457
CookieDoughLove
So in saying that, do you think it's definitely worth focusing on theory and methods then?

I've mainly worked on Theory and Methods and neglected Crime and Deviance.
Crime and Deviance questions = 33 marks in total.
Methods, Theory and Methods = 57 in total.

Are we in agreement that I haven't been a total muppet in ignoring Crime and Deviance? Don't get me wrong, i'm not going to not revise it, but my knowledge won't be that in depth :frown:

ARGH this exam is so stressful!

I say revise for everything. Do as much as you can. Crime you can relate everything in all places, theory you cant, best you can do is pick up AO2 marks by comparing say for exmaple, fucntionalism to postmodernist ideas. I'm going to revise theory for about 3/4 hours tomorrw memorising all my notes. Then revise Crime+Deviance for the same length of time also memorising my notes. Reading methods now for an hour os so and in the morning tuesdya i'll go over emthods. As I believe methods is simple, therefore to me methods doesnt require much work compared to theory and C+D.
Sad3k
I say revise for everything. Do as much as you can. Crime you can relate everything in all places, theory you cant, best you can do is pick up AO2 marks by comparing say for exmaple, fucntionalism to postmodernist ideas. I'm going to revise theory for about 3/4 hours tomorrw memorising all my notes. Then revise Crime+Deviance for the same length of time also memorising my notes. Reading methods now for an hour os so and in the morning tuesdya i'll go over emthods. As I believe methods is simple, therefore to me methods doesnt require much work compared to theory and C+D.

For the 33 marker, you don't bring in C&D do ya? I mean like, you probably could, but don't have to?
Reply 459
Has anybody got a copy of the jan 2010 paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending