The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey, im going to keele and i live in brum 2!, whereabouts do u live?

I think the easiest way without a car is bus-train-bus
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
hey natalie...im from Erdington, how about you?
Yeah that seems easiest without car but its gonna take aaages isn't it, don't think i could trek back to Birmingham all the time.. :s-smilie:
Reply 3
How many hours is it away from Birmingham?

I'm 4 hours away from Kent, I'm gona be so homesick!! :bawling:
Keele is between Junctions 15&16 on the M6 and you can see Lindsay Halls from the Service Station... which pretty much sums up Keele - its a service station on the M6 lol (kidding!)

Its on the outskirts of Newcastle-under-Lyme which means you're about an equal distance away from both Manchester and Birmingham, which usually takes me around 50mins to get to either by car. You can get there by train, by getting off at Crewe and getting the number 85 bus from across the road which will drop you off on campus, or you can get the 29 bus from across the road from Stoke-on-Trent train station, which will also drop you off on campus.

(the 29 bus is the main bus route which goes through campus, newcastle and stoke... and beyond I believe lol!)

The uni is pretty well sign posted from the motorway at junction 15, (coming from the South) but if you come off at junction 16 (coming from the North like moi) then you follow the signs to Newcastle-under-Lyme, then follow the signs to Keele University and Science Park once in the middle of Newcastle. (You will soon pick up the shortcuts lol)
Reply 5
Im from bournville, jsut round the corner from cadburys :smile:
When me and my bf went to the open day last summer, i didn't realise you could get a train striaght to stoke from snow hill, so we went to crewe from new street.
It was a sunday, and the bus from the train station ran every hour! So we got a taxi, which cost £25! which was incedentally, the amount my dad had given us to cover the whole day!

Moral: remeember you live in a big city, there is more than one train station in the middle of it. :frown:
You got completely ripped off on that taxi- it usually costs between £6 and a tenner.

Travelling to/from Birmingham every weekend: it's do-able, but it'll be a pain in the arse without a car. It's about a 30-40 minute bus ride to the station (following the usual wait for the ever-mysterious number 29, which follows it's own timetable according to what the driver feels like, rather than the one on the bus stops), then about 40 mins to Birmingham on Virgin trains (which arn't too bad punctuality wise).

It doesn't sound too bad, but if you've been out on a Friday night in the union, the LAST thing you want to do is travel for 2-3 hours to go to work. You're much better off getting a job in Newcastle or Stoke.

Rach
xxx
Reply 7
How long do you think it'll take to get to Keele from Kent by car? I'm trying to plan my journey on the 24th.
Reply 8
just under 3 hrs, I'm coming from London.
It takes me about 3 and a half/4 hours from West Sussex
Rach
xxx
Ok, cool, thanks! So, if my dad aims to get there round 11ish, that should be alright shouldn't it?
Reply 11
As long as you're not the first there!
Omg, I hope I'm not! My parents might not even be able to take my on Saturday and they want me to ring up and ask if I can come up on the Friday before or with the International Students on Thursday!!
Reply 13
Uhoh! You want to move in when everyone else dos, more fun that way!
fluffball
just under 3 hrs, I'm coming from London.

Me too!! A week ago, i went to alton towers (about 10miles nearer than stoke), and had previously underestimated the journey time to 2.5 hours. Well, i got a shock when it took us about 3.5 hours to get there...which has made me promise myself to only take a train when visiting london from keele.

I have yet to find someone to take me up there- my parents may be unavailable, and i have to find somebody else QUICKLY!! :frown:
What?! 3.5 hours from London! So, it's near to 5 hours from Kent!!
Reply 16
3 and a bit hours from norfolk.

i hope i am the first there. i dont wanna have to deal with carrying my stuff through hordes of freshers whose parents have parked in the middle of the road, and people who don't know where they are going etc. i know where i'm going! i just wanna move in straight away, then get pissed.
x-Jo-x
What?! 3.5 hours from London! So, it's near to 5 hours from Kent!!

Well, i suppose it depends how deep into kent you're from, because the journey time from canterbury as opposed to the outskirts of south east london would take considerably longer i suppose.

Gosh, i know i'll be lost, but i also want to hurry things on to see what keele has to offer me, or to sort out my room, or to go food shopping- either way i dont want to be hanging around aimlessly in the corridors getting dirty looks from people like Matt_B :biggrin: .
It takes us about 1.5 hours to get to London from where we are, so another 2/3 hours from London to Keele?

Yeah, Matt B - be nice!
Reply 19
hehe, i didn't mean to be mean! it's just id rather get my own organising done so i can meet the people in my halls and stuff asap. plus it's just easier to get there as early as poss, and get it all out of the way! then i can help everyone else, like the wonderful good samaritan i am.

Latest