The Student Room Group

Can you reject a university on results day?

So,
I want to do Psychology recieved all offers but only firmed one as its the only one that I want to go to. But knowing me, I know that it's possible for me to change my mind about where I want to go so would I be allowed to turn down an offer and go through clearing or am I legally bound to the University

Thank you
x
In theory, it's a legally binding agreement between you and your firm that, if you get the appropriate grades, you will attend that university. However, in practice, it's not so rigid as that: you contact your firm university on results day and ask them to release you from your place. In theory, they can say no ... but in practice, they almost certainly won't because they have nothing to gain from it. Your offer will turn into unsuccessful and you will be entered into Clearing and able to go through it. In fact, I did this last year.

However, universities are very busy on results day and may not get around to releasing you for a few days (I was lucky, mine diid within hours), by which time the 'good' Clearing places will have gone. If you know beforehand that you don't want to go to your firm, then ask your uni to release you as soon as possible.
Reply 2
Well they can hardly force you to go, so the answer is yes.
Reply 3
Yes
Reply 4
Thank You All So Much

:smile: :smile:
Reply 5
I should add that if you decide to ask your University to release you, then you will enter UCAS Extra. This is for people who have either not been successful on botaining any offers or have declined the ones they did have. This takes place before results day. If you not able to find anything suitable, you then be eligible for Clearing in the usual way.
redorange
I should add that if you decide to ask your University to release you, then you will enter UCAS Extra. This is for people who have either not been successful on botaining any offers or have declined the ones they did have. This takes place before results day. If you not able to find anything suitable, you then be eligible for Clearing in the usual way.

Though you can phone your insurance and say youve been released and go to them in September. However if you decide you want someone youve rejected youd just have to go through Clearing and see if a place is available.
Reply 7
Though you can phone your insurance and say youve been released and go to them in September. However if you decide you want someone youve rejected youd just have to go through Clearing and see if a place is available.

This is true - there is a certain amount of flexibility. Most of the competitive courses will have no vacancies in clearing. Although it will be more difficult this year, there are still options. This probably illustrates that it is only worth making a decision once you have thought about all your options, but if the OP does want to be released for certain, it is advisable to do this before results day.
Reply 8

Is clearing through the UCAS website? Or can u call up uni's to ask if they have a place?
Reply 9
It is on the UCAS website. Broadsheet newspapers (such as The Guardian) publish lists on results day. You will need to contact each University directly - not until results day, though.
mdlands01
Is clearing through the UCAS website? Or can u call up uni's to ask if they have a place?

It's a mixture of the two really. :p: Essentially, the process is this:

- UCAS issue you with a Clearing number on Track
- you use The Independent or the UCAS site to see what courses are in Clearing
- you telephone universities you're interested in and, assuming they're interested in you, you give them your Clearing number
- they use it to look at UCAS application
- they make an offer directly to you, and if you take this offer, you confirm it directly to the university
- you add the university as your Clearing option on Track
Reply 11
If you meet an offer, you can go, or decide not to go anywhere.

If you meet your firm offer, you can either go there or go nowhere. You can't just decide to go to your insurace instead.

If you didn't meet your firm, but met your insurance, you either go to your insurance or nowhere at all.

I'm fairly sure you can't go into clearing if you did meet your offer but just changed your mind, you'd either have to go or just drop out and reapply next year.
Billybob7
I'm fairly sure you can't go into clearing if you did meet your offer but just changed your mind, you'd either have to go or just drop out and reapply next year.

Sorry, but this is wrong: If you meet your offer, you can contact them and ask them to release you, in which case you enter Clearing. At least, it's what I did in 2009/10.
TheSownRose
Sorry, but this is wrong: If you meet your offer, you can contact them and ask them to release you, in which case you enter Clearing. At least, it's what I did in 2009/10.

Yes thats right you can do that
Reply 14
TheSownRose
It's a mixture of the two really. :p: Essentially, the process is this:

- UCAS issue you with a Clearing number on Track
- you use The Independent or the UCAS site to see what courses are in Clearing
- you telephone universities you're interested in and, assuming they're interested in you, you give them your Clearing number
- they use it to look at UCAS application
- they make an offer directly to you, and if you take this offer, you confirm it directly to the university
- you add the university as your Clearing option on Track

Thank you. Damn, then what I am I meant to do if I don't want to go to my firm choice anymore but don't want to reject it just incase I don't get in through clearing?!
mdlands01
Thank you. Damn, then what I am I meant to do if I don't want to go to my firm choice anymore but don't want to reject it just incase I don't get in through clearing?!

You have to decide which you'd rather do - go to university this year or go to a university you want to - I'm afraid. Luckily, you don't have to decide right now. :smile:

What's your exact situation - offers held, why you don't want to go there, etc? If we know more, we might be able to offer more helpful advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending