The Student Room Group

Applying through clearing with offer already firmed

I have an offer from Manchester for economics and plan to apply to Nottingham Econ/econ-related courses through clearing if they are in it. Once I get my results and I call Nottingham, are they less likely to give verbal offers to people already holding an offer? I'd obviously say that I'd reject my offer from Manchester if given a verbal offer.

Also, if I was to get a verbal offer over the phone, would I need to ask for their name and job title to keep a record of it incase they try to go back on their decision?
Ucas rules prevent a university making an offer if you are not in clearing. To enter clearing you have to be holding no offers so would have to give up your Manchester offer first. You are also assuming Nottingham will be in clearing for Economics but that is unlikely.
Reply 2
My careers advisor said I could call them and they could give me a verbal offer if I say I'd reject my current offer if given a verbal offer from them, is this not the case? Also, Nottingham Economics, industrial economics, and other Econ-related courses are still in Extra, so is it not likely that maybe one of the less competitive courses such as Industrial economics will still not have filled their places by A-level results day?
Original post by swanseajack1
Ucas rules prevent a university making an offer if you are not in clearing. To enter clearing you have to be holding no offers so would have to give up your Manchester offer first. You are also assuming Nottingham will be in clearing for Economics but that is unlikely.
Original post by aweller08
My careers advisor said I could call them and they could give me a verbal offer if I say I'd reject my current offer if given a verbal offer from them, is this not the case? Also, Nottingham Economics, industrial economics, and other Econ-related courses are still in Extra, so is it not likely that maybe one of the less competitive courses such as Industrial economics will still not have filled their places by A-level results day?

They are not meant to make offers. It is poaching and against UCAS rules. It is possible something like Industrial Economics might be in clearing. Last year only a few RG universities had Economics in clearing. Economics is one of the most sought after subjects at the moment.
Reply 4
Thanks, for the reply. So is it very unlikely that I will get a verbal offer unless I reject my offers prior to calling the university up so I can give them a clearing number?
They are not meant to make offers. It is poaching and against UCAS rules. It is possible something like Industrial Economics might be in clearing. Last year only a few RG universities had Economics in clearing. Economics is one of the most sought after subjects at the moment.
Thanks, for the reply. So is it very unlikely that I will get a verbal offer unless I reject my offers prior to calling the university up so I can give them a clearing number?

That is my understanding. Maybe @dmit-One or @McGinger who work in admissions can confirm this
Reply 6
I'm considering applying to industrial Econ through extra as I can't get a verbal offer through clearing. I'm a grade above the requirement with a pure Econ personal statement. I've seen on UCAS that when I click apply it says I have to manually add it into my application, will this automatically decline my other offers or will I have to call them up and tell them to decline me?
That is my understanding. Maybe @dmit-One or @McGinger who work in admissions can confirm this
I'm considering applying to industrial Econ through extra as I can't get a verbal offer through clearing. I'm a grade above the requirement with a pure Econ personal statement. I've seen on UCAS that when I click apply it says I have to manually add it into my application, will this automatically decline my other offers or will I have to call them up and tell them to decline me?

You have to decline ALL offers before using extra. It isnt a case of having your cake and eating it. You need to make a decision whether you want to keep Manchester or give it up and risk applying to Nottingham. Extra and clearing are for students who dont hold offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending