The Student Room Group

Can I go through clearing...

For context, I have an offer for Law from both Royal Holloway University (Firm) and University of Reading (Insurance).

I now find myself inclined towards BA Politics and International Relations at Reading and I don't think I'll have a problem meeting the entry requirements (bbb) / it's also available in clearing.

Do you think on results day I'll be able to switch to that course at Reading regardless of whether I get accepted to both my firm and insurance choices?

Thank you xx
Original post by dayaspersonalgf
For context, I have an offer for Law from both Royal Holloway University (Firm) and University of Reading (Insurance).

I now find myself inclined towards BA Politics and International Relations at Reading and I don't think I'll have a problem meeting the entry requirements (bbb) / it's also available in clearing.

Do you think on results day I'll be able to switch to that course at Reading regardless of whether I get accepted to both my firm and insurance choices?

Thank you xx

If you get accepted by your firm you will have no insurance. You would need to reject RHUL then apply through clearing for Politics at Reading. If they have spaces and you meet the grades and have any necessary subjects the likelyhood is you will get accepted although only the university can tell you for definite.

Thank you xx

You can self release into clearing and decline all your offers now but you can’t be sure what will be available until the day if you miss your firm and go to Reading though (most unis do this) you will be able to switch if there’s space on the new course any time within the first 6 weeks.
(edited 9 months ago)

Thank you xx

Hi @dayaspersonalgf,
Congratulations on your offers! As @swansea jack1 and @johnathanemptage have said, you would need to follow the clearing procedures and reject your current offers to apply for clearing, but generally as long as there's space and you meet the entry requirements, you should be able to secure a space! :smile: I would encourage you to check out our clearing thread for more information - you'll see some of our tips and any Clearing-related events or information we might have going on!
If you have any other questions please do let us know,
Kat :smile:
BA History Graduate

Thank you xx

Hello,
As the person above stated I’d you’re accepted into your firm on results day your insurance is automatically rejected as they will know you’re in your firm and will have prioritised your place to another student.

What you’ll need to do then is reject your offer from your firm and then apply through clearing at Reading for the course you want to do. Try contacting Reading about clearing offers through that thread they posted above. It’s always handy to get information about a decision like this sooner rather than later come results say. That way you’re 100% confident on your degree path and university choice!

However, also discuss with your firm if you’re considering changing univeristy so you don’t have to go through quite as much paperwork once you’re already enrolled.

Hope this helps,
Dom
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by jonathanemptage
You can self release into clearing and decline all your offers now

That's not correct. The Decline your place button is only available to unconditional firm applicants. If the OP's offers are still conditional, they won't be able to do anything until results day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending