The Student Room Group

Results day - miss by one grade

Incase one of my grades slip on results day (firm choice is ABB uni of Bristol, feel I may get AAC) is there anything you can do to “convince” them to have a spot? Seems a bit weird to be able to do that but have heard of people ringing up and talking to the unis etc.

if I do slip a grade, would they already have decided on results day if i have a spot, or is there a window of time where they continue considering it depending on how many people defer/reject their accepted place? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Har210
Incase one of my grades slip on results day (firm choice is ABB uni of Bristol, feel I may get AAC) is there anything you can do to “convince” them to have a spot? Seems a bit weird to be able to do that but have heard of people ringing up and talking to the unis etc.

if I do slip a grade, would they already have decided on results day if i have a spot, or is there a window of time where they continue considering it depending on how many people defer/reject their accepted place? Thanks :smile:

Bristol can still accept you at AAC if they wish to, it depends on how all their other offer holders do. On Thursday morning, they should have made their decision and it will be either by making your place unconditional, or withdrawing your offer.

It's possible that Bristol will not have confirmed or rejected you, and are still holding onto you on Thursday morning.
If that happens, it's not usually good news. It basically means they're going to keep you waiting while they try to find better candidates in clearing.

If you do get a C grade and you want to request a review of marking, you need to talk to the school and check they're happy to do this. Then phone Bristol ASAP and make sure they will retain a place for you if you do meet ABB requirements. You have until 31st August to meet the conditions of that offer (most other universities will be 6th September).

In the meantime, let's think about plan B. Would you be happy going to your insurance choice? What are the offer grades there?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Bristol can still accept you at AAC if they wish to, it depends on how all their other offer holders do. On Thursday morning, they should have made their decision and it will be either by making your place unconditional, or withdrawing your offer.

It's possible that Bristol will not have confirmed or rejected you, and are still holding onto you on Thursday morning.
If that happens, it's not usually good news. It basically means they're going to keep you waiting while they try to find better candidates in clearing.

If you do get a C grade and you want to request a review of marking, you need to talk to the school and check they're happy to do this. Then phone Bristol ASAP and make sure they will retain a place for you if you do meet ABB requirements. You have until 6th September to meet the conditions of that offer.

In the meantime, let's think about plan B. Would you be happy going to your insurance choice? What are the offer grades there?

Thank you so much! That’s good to know with the remarking 👍 would be happy with insurance however grades needed are the same, which doesn’t sound like the smartest idea for an insurance, but there’s no where else I’d rather go tbh and it’s a lot of debt to go in if the uni isn’t what I want 😅 perfectly happy with gap year, although I would want to go to Bristol at the end of it so would prob resit in May/June, but I have all my notes so might be worth paying for exam just not another year of college? Unsure yet, can’t find anything about resitting at an earlier date yet which sucks
Original post by Har210
Unsure yet, can’t find anything about resitting at an earlier date yet which sucks

Just to confirm, A-levels exams are only held once a year in May/June so there's no chance of an earlier resit.
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
If you do get a C grade and you want to request a review of marking, you need to talk to the school and check they're happy to do this. Then phone Bristol ASAP and make sure they will retain a place for you if you do meet ABB requirements. You have until 6th September to meet the conditions of that offer.

Bristol have a page at https://www.bristol.ac.uk/results/missed-your-offer/appeal/ for applicants who are "appealing against your exam results or getting a re-grade or re-mark".

And they say "Once you have your updated results, send them to us by 11:59 pm (BST) on 31 August 2023." (emphasis in original)

(They also say "You don't need to contact us to let us know you are getting a re-grade. You only need to contact us when you get your updated results.")

It's worth OP reading the whole of the page, there's other information there too.
Original post by martin7
Bristol have a page at https://www.bristol.ac.uk/results/missed-your-offer/appeal/ for applicants who are "appealing against your exam results or getting a re-grade or re-mark".

And they say "Once you have your updated results, send them to us by 11:59 pm (BST) on 31 August 2023." (emphasis in original)

(They also say "You don't need to contact us to let us know you are getting a re-grade. You only need to contact us when you get your updated results.")

It's worth OP reading the whole of the page, there's other information there too.
Uegh, that's very cheeky of Bristol to bring their deadline a week earlier than the date UCAS advise. If the appeal takes longer than this, or looks like it will, I would ring Bristol up then and explain.
Reply 6
Original post by Har210

On a similar theme, I have been awarded a music scholarship at my chosen Uni (I’m not studying music) and IF I miss by a grade would that be a help to maybe sway a decision ?
Reply 7
Original post by normaw
Just to confirm, A-levels exams are only held once a year in May/June so there's no chance of an earlier resit.

Thank you, yeah I mention it as my brother thought there was an earlier resit in October but sadly not!
Reply 8
Original post by martin7

Thanks! I will def have a look 🤞
Original post by Har210

People think they can just ring universities and change decisions. It doesnt work and all they will do is delay things for others. A university wont change its decision because of begging calls. Time to move on. This is the real adult world where rejection is common. It is not the childrens world where you can somehow beg stating reasons for a failure.

What is happening at the moment is admissions are working through results and those who meet their offers will get a place confirmed. If the numbers reach the number of places others will be rejected. If they dont reach their numbers a university then decides whether to accept near misses or go into clearing. This done by your firm university and if they reject you then your insurance university does the same.

On results day you will either be accepted by your firm, your insurance or have been placed in clearing. That is the end of the matter. If you are appealing a grade you should notify your firm choice. They may accept you or defer you if you succeed.

As far as what you have been told about October exams. There were circumstances where you could sit in the autumn. This was because there were teachers assessed grades and was to allow for the fact there were standardised. This has not happened where actual exams have happened.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending