The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iqbal007
No....you only get it as long as you buy it from the education store as I'm aware

I know... but is there any way around it? Like even if i had to pay for the apple care I still saved money but I'm just wondering if there is anyway i can still get it as I'd rather not spend £140

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Faye_m
I know... but is there any way around it? Like even if i had to pay for the apple care I still saved money but I'm just wondering if there is anyway i can still get it as I'd rather not spend £140

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I don't believe so, unless you go and ask directly and show them your uni acceptance letter
Everyone at my school has a MacBook so I decided to make it look a little different. What are your thoughts?

Reply 443
Original post by JenniferAnderson
Everyone at my school has a MacBook so I decided to make it look a little different. What are your thoughts?

Nice! :P I purchased a solid plastic clip on case for both the back of the screen and underneath the main body of the macbook. It has a rubberised feel and is matte black, and the apple logo shines through. Looks different, but matches the keyboard etc :biggrin:
Reply 444
Sorry, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm a bit confused about the Apple HE discount. I'm looking to buy a MacBook Air through my uni's education store site. I can get about 15% off the price of the MacBook but a bit confused about the AppleCare part. From the online site, it looks like the only extra I get from paying £48 for the AppleCare Protection Plan uplift is an additional 2-years telephone service. From my understanding, it seems that 3 years warranty for parts and repairs is already included for free, as well as 1-year's telephone support. However when I went to the Apple store, they said the complimentary service for students is only 1-year warranty and 90 days telephone service, and that I would have to purchase the AppleCare for £48. For those of you have bought through Unidays, can I ask whether you purchased the additional AppleCare uplift for £48, and if you think it’s worth it?
Is there a way to access the (Nottingham uni) edu store off campus before I've actually started at university? I want to buy a macbook when the back to school offer starts next week.

I already know that I've passed my course and met the conditions of my firm.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kathykathykathy
Is there a way to access the (Nottingham uni) edu store off campus before I've actually started at university? I want to buy a macbook when the back to school offer starts next week.

I already know that I've passed my course and met the conditions of my firm.

You can go in store and show your acceptance letter
Original post by Iqbal007
You can go in store and show your acceptance letter
Do you still get the 3 year warranty in store? I thought you had to order online through the HE stores for that.

I could easily order the macbook sans warranty through unidays.
Do you still get the 3 year warranty in store? I thought you had to order online through the HE stores for that.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. You have to wait then I presume

I didn't order mine through the uni store thing and got the extra warranty. I did it on the phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scwal
Sorry, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm a bit confused about the Apple HE discount. I'm looking to buy a MacBook Air through my uni's education store site. I can get about 15% off the price of the MacBook but a bit confused about the AppleCare part. From the online site, it looks like the only extra I get from paying £48 for the AppleCare Protection Plan uplift is an additional 2-years telephone service. From my understanding, it seems that 3 years warranty for parts and repairs is already included for free, as well as 1-year's telephone support. However when I went to the Apple store, they said the complimentary service for students is only 1-year warranty and 90 days telephone service, and that I would have to purchase the AppleCare for £48. For those of you have bought through Unidays, can I ask whether you purchased the additional AppleCare uplift for £48, and if you think it’s worth it?

Google for the apple store uni list. There'll be a Nottingham Uni link so you can access it off campus :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scwal

I didn't think it was worth it. My MBP is still running fine 6 years later. It's really dependent on you though to be honest. Would you feel better having it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 452
Hey does anyone know when Apple's Back to School promotion starts? Hoping to buy a Macbook Air with the unidays discount before I go to uni in sept but just wanna get the best deal :P
Apologies if this has been asked before but have apple stopped the free applecare warranty with the education pricing?
I heard it wasn't available instore and only online - but when I'm trying to purchase the new macbook it's saying applecare will cost £48?
Original post by Himeros
Apologies if this has been asked before but have apple stopped the free applecare warranty with the education pricing?
I heard it wasn't available instore and only online - but when I'm trying to purchase the new macbook it's saying applecare will cost £48?

It's not free AppleCare they give, it's free 3 years extended warranty (although the only real functional difference is the telephone support- the level of coverage is identical) which gets added on automatically if you buy through the education store without having to be selected or even really making you aware of it. However as far as I am aware it is still being added to all online/telephone orders made with student discount.
Ah right - thanks a lot, appreciate it.
Sorry to be bothering you with the same topic again - but am I right in therefore assuming that it's recommended that you purchase a mac online if you want the extra education benefits? Or is there no advantage by doing it online instead of in store? I don't mean the 15% discount as isn't that exactly the same whether you purchase in store or online? - But rather the extended warranty thing.

As I'm going to Apple next week and would like to purchase my mac then (to save waiting two weeks for shipping) but if I was to do that would I not get the free 3 years extended warranty?
Thank you!
Anyone know if I can reuse my student unidays discount on apple in the same year? I want to get a laptop with my sister.

BTW now you only get one year free warranty- to get the additional 2 years, it will cost an extra £48, with student discount, down from £199. This was what the lady said in store.
Original post by shenzys
Anyone know if I can reuse my student unidays discount on apple in the same year? I want to get a laptop with my sister.

BTW now you only get one year free warranty- to get the additional 2 years, it will cost an extra £48, with student discount, down from £199. This was what the lady said in store.

With all due respect - this is actually untrue (I actually came on here to let anyone that may have been wondering know and I saw your post).

I know there's been some confusion regarding the warranty but to be clear - if you order online you get the standard 1 year warranty and then within the next few weeks the additional 2 years should also be added.

In store you will be offered a discounted apple care instead, but with that the only extra thing you get is the telephone support (the online extra 2 year warranty doesn't include this).

But yeah if anyone was wondering I recently bought a macbook through unidays, my mac arrived late last week (along with my headphones) and I just had a look online earlier today and my extra 2 years warranty has already been added! So I purchased a couple of weeks ago and my estimated warranty expiration now reads as mid August 2018!

So if anyone is in doubt - ordering online still gives you the extra two years warranty if done through the education store :smile:

With regards to your other question - hopefully somebody else can post to 100% confirm but as far as I am aware you're limited to one machine per year, however apparently this isn't actively policed and so many people do successfully order more than one. I know of two people who have done this and both were friends of mine at uni so I think it's definitely possible, the worst they can do is cancel your order.
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone have a link to the HE store page?

Latest

Trending

Trending