The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Career Advice

Hey guys,

im lookin a few opinions on wat i should do with my life basically

Im 26, working as a cad technician, doing a HNC in mech/manufacturing eng, half day release, and taking modules from the Open Uni to top this up to a BEng, with a 5 year plan to be qualified to deg level and have plenty of experience behind me to make the step up from cad technician to engineer, and now i get a bombshell that i have my 2 weeks notice from work..... and from scouting the jobsites, i cant see anything related to what u do that doesn't require a degree......

My options now:

(1) Go into a deadend job working in factory for next 5 years, gettin gmy paycheck every friday, while finishing my HNC and Open Uni BEng, with no debt, but little engineering experience. (i think most people would admit, that the BEng through OU is more suited to people working in the Eng industry?)

(2) Im in the process of applying to get back onto my BSc Hons Construction Engineering & Management course which i completed 1st year of and would need to complete 2nd & 4th year to get the straight deg, or 3rd year placement aswell to get the Hons degree, (but may be exempt from this due to my work experience). Heres the key though, do i have to pay the yearly fee's of when i started the course £1125 or current fee's over £3000? (that could have a major bearing)

(3) Do a 2 year foundation degree in building services and renewable energies, only 2 days and 2 mornings per week, so flexible to work in the factory to help with funds. £2000 a year course fee's which i could prob pay off instead of getting a loan, as i have been saving to go to oz for a while, but thought id better finish my studies first.

(4) one way ticket to OZ, my bro has been living there roughly 3 years as a joiner, and could hook me up with work, but i dont think this is a good idea, cos id be in the same situation as when i left!!!

well wat do you think, just looking other peoples opinions.

Joe

Latest