The Student Room Group

uni route to teaching

hi,
i'm looking at applying for unis and i was wondering if anyone had advice? i want to be a primary school teacher but i dont know whether to go straight into a primary teaching degree or to get a different degree then do an extra pgce year? any advice from your experience/plans would be very helpful.

thankyou
Reply 1
I'm secondary, so no experience with the primary degree only the PGCE - in my opinion, having my related but not specific UG degree gives me the option to explore other routes should I feel the need to leave the profession. I'm just finishing my PGCE and start my first post in a couple of weeks but I know, should I decide to not continue, that I have a whole range of other careers available (I'm a registered nutritionist). If this makes sense?

Ultimately, it's whatever you want to do and if you know primary is 100%, no questions asked, the only career for you then maybe take the primary degree route?
Reply 2
Original post by libbyr16
hi,
i'm looking at applying for unis and i was wondering if anyone had advice? i want to be a primary school teacher but i dont know whether to go straight into a primary teaching degree or to get a different degree then do an extra pgce year? any advice from your experience/plans would be very helpful.

thankyou

hiya,
ive just finished year 12 and I’m also looking into primary teaching, so I can’t say I know for certain what’s best since I’ve not properly done it but here’s what I’m thinking. Im set on primary teaching as a career, so it makes more sense for me to do a degree in primary teaching with QTS. I feel that getting the training over 3 years rather than 1 will leave me more confident and having more experience in a variety of things, whereas going from nothing to qualified in one year sounds way to stressful. I’d also struggle to justify £27k for a course I knew I wasn’t planning on doing as a career, i totally get the argument of changing careers, but a degree is a degree, surely if I was to go into say a marketing career with and English or teaching degree it would make no difference.
hope this helps and gl :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending