The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

If you switch to MMath you'll be doing MT1008 (so you'll be learning Maple and R which I doubt you know already) then you'll do MT2001 and some other 200x module in second semester, so you certainly will learn something. Maths don't seem to be too keen on people skipping prerequisites (unless it's later on in your degree, there's a good reason for it (ie if they don't waive the prereqs, you'll not get to do the module) and they have a good idea of your aptitude from actually having taught you etc).

ImperceptibleNinja might know better than me, but if you skip MT1002, you may struggle to find modules you want to do at a later stage. Plus, you'll end up doing things like 400x modules in second year, so they won't count for your classification, and your classification will be made up of the much more difficult 500x module grades.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 21
la_banane_verte
If you switch to MMath you'll be doing MT1008 (so you'll be learning Maple and R which I doubt you know already) then you'll do MT2001 and some other 200x module in second semester, so you certainly will learn something. Maths don't seem to be too keen on people skipping prerequisites (unless it's later on in your degree, there's a good reason for it (ie if they don't waive the prereqs, you'll not get to do the module) and they have a good idea of your aptitude from actually having taught you etc).

ImperceptibleNinja might know better than me, but if you skip MT1002, you may struggle to find modules you want to do at a later stage. Plus, you'll end up doing things like 400x modules in second year, so they won't count for your classification, and your classification will be made up of the much more difficult 500x module grades.

So for some of the modules I'd need that, even if I got an A in AH maths?
It seems like a waste of time taking a module that I'll probably already know if I don't have to. Then again if it would limit my choices further down the line this is a sacrifice I'd be willing to take.
Reply 22
JB Johnstone
It seems like a waste of time taking a module that I'll probably already know if I don't have to. Then again if it would limit my choices further down the line this is a sacrifice I'd be willing to take.

seriously, just take mt1002 and be happy of a nice easy module, the maths will get hard soon enough.
JB Johnstone

You'd end up doing 2001/2002 in first semester and 2005/2003 (probably) in second semester of first year. If you decided to go for the mostly pure route (I'm afraid I don't know that much about the applied or statistics modules, but looking at the lists there's about the same amount of choice)You'd then have to take something like 3501,3503,3504,3600 in first semester and 4003,4004,4515,4514 in second year (see how many honours grades you're wasting there?).

Then in third year, you're looking at having to do 5000-level modules already (although one or two 500x in third year isn't too bad I'm told), and then you'll find yourself running short of the 5000-levels to do in 4th year, for example there are only 3 (sort of) pure 5000 level modules in first semester most years (Topics in Groups, Measure and Ergodic and History of Maths)

You should see if you can write yourself a projected degree plan to see if it will all work out. The honours timetables can be found on this page, the links on the bottom right:
http://www-maths.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/ug/TT/now1.shtml
They alternate roughly every two years, although don't totally rely on that.

I got an A at A-Level in maths and further maths, and given the choice I would not skip MT1002, partly because I think going straight into 2001 would be like being thrown in at the deep end - it's do-able, but not enjoyable, and mostly because of the hassle it cause with your module choice later on. The course timetables are designed for specific degree paths and if you don't follow it, it'll be difficult.
The maths department don't like people skipping 1002 as i've said. However if you combine it with physics then it's fine to skip as your second year counts as honours. I skipped it and thought 2001 was fine and enjoyable, and I would not be able to do my degree so easily if i hadn't done two second level maths modules this year. I would have to wait til second semester of junior honours to do a second second level maths module otherwise and my supervisor explicitly said I couldn't change to the degree i'm on if I hadn't skipped 1002.

Latest

Trending

Trending