The Student Room Group

Are my chances of getting in a top Uni for Computer Science good?

I study A Levels in bio,chem,physics and maths.
In my year 12 end of year exams got A*A*A*A (A was in Chemistry).I have never studied computer science in school before, so I am self teaching basics of python and in a few months will start with Java and I am reading plenty of books from recommended reading list of Oxford University.

I would like to apply for places like Imperial,Cambridge Warwick,UCL...but I dont have further maths nor computer science a levels because I was dumb and it took me time to realize what I wanted to do after a levels...That's why I chose the 4 MOST BROADEST A LEVEL COMBINATION EVER that could lead me to any STEM discipline (only during summer after year 12 I realized that I want to study cs, before that I wanted to either study medicine or engineering or NatSci).
This is a year 11 here, but I think the chances are sort of slim (for a top university), as you don't have FM, but then again I don't know if universities have entrance exams for computer science. If they do, and you do well in them, they might let you.
Original post by Ash_AFR
In my year 12 end of year exams got A*A*A*A (A was in Chemistry).I have never studied computer science in school before, so I am self teaching basics of python and in a few months will start with Java and I am reading plenty of books from recommended reading list of Oxford University.

I would like to apply for places like Imperial,Cambridge Warwick,UCL...but I dont have further maths nor computer science a levels because I was dumb and it took me time to realize what I wanted to do after a levels...That's why I chose the 4 MOST BROADEST A LEVEL COMBINATION EVER that could lead me to any STEM discipline (only during summer after year 12 I realized that I want to study cs, before that I wanted to either study medicine or engineering or NatSci).

A lack of computer science A level doesn't really matter, not taking FM could be a problem though, definitely for the universities you're listed. I would encourage you to look at entry requirements and see if you can get in touch with any admissions teams to see what they think. However, there are also other good unis for computer science that don't require FM as much. Bath, for example, lowers your offer if you get a certain grade in FM, which suggests that it is nice but not required. Basically, I recommend not closing off your options to only the 'best' or most well known unis because there are other good options
Reply 3
Original post by juicygcse
A lack of computer science A level doesn't really matter, not taking FM could be a problem though, definitely for the universities you're listed. I would encourage you to look at entry requirements and see if you can get in touch with any admissions teams to see what they think. However, there are also other good unis for computer science that don't require FM as much. Bath, for example, lowers your offer if you get a certain grade in FM, which suggests that it is nice but not required. Basically, I recommend not closing off your options to only the 'best' or most well known unis because there are other good options

What about kings or qmul? I'd like to preferably stay in London.
Original post by Ash_AFR
What about kings or qmul? I'd like to preferably stay in London.

Well 1. Hate to break it to you, but neither Cambridge or Warwick are in London (or are anything like London)

But all jokes aside, qmul (had to look that one up, I'm not from London) has quite low entry requirements compared to the others you've listed, they don't seem to be looking for the top students taking FM so that's definitely a reasonable option (they don't even require maths which is surprising).

King's College London are more competitive, but technically don't require maths either (not sure if someone would actually get in but still). A good university, especially internationally, so another good option
did u get into any of those?????????
Original post by Ash_AFR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending